BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

06-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Stereo or Surround ??

Guys, for the premium/individual audio, do you guys have either surround or stereo set?

Opinions on either? I tend to use surround most of the time, but in some cases it can become a bit front channel heavy on some music, in which I switch back to the stereo setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Gemcoska
Sleepy Member, wishing I was on the road.
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I like stereo, less complicated. But for really good recordings, surround is nice. Unf, most of the stuff over the air is crap, even in HD
      12-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Jays1stM
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 Comp Space/Fox

I've been doing a lot of messing around with the settings for this audio system. I actually like the surround on for crappier source material but for good recordings, I prefer the stereo setting. I actually think having a good, centered stage in front of you is the optimal way to listen.

I've been struggling a lot to set this system up well..my equalizer settings are vastly different than what others have posted but I'm not convinced I've arrived at the best setting yet. Unlike many of the other comments on here, I find the mid frequencies to be most muddled and strangely resonant through the structure of the car. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to fully clear up the mid muddiness but it's getting better each time I tweak it. I guess most people complain about not having enough bass. True but, in my opinion it's accurate compared to the mids. The highs are shrill but I think I've toned them down a bit too and are also quite accurate.

The system lives up to people's criticisms unfortunately. In hindsight, it's only worth the money if you are like me and have grown tired of building your own systems. On this car I'm quite happy to not put the effort into installing an aftermarket system in. In my younger years I wouldn't have thought twice about taking the base system and putting two thousand into aftermarket. In the end, this is the best factory stereo I've had, considering my experience is mainly with Porsche and Acura Bose systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
Andy001
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've always tied to stereo because the trapp setups don't play audio well in stereo style, because of the different speakers. Only had the money to obtain a surround system with regard to TV and movies, and a stereo setup with regard to music, I had be happy.... nonetheless I don't. So I'll keep with stereo
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

anyone else not understand a word in the post above?

I like surround better personally!
Appreciate 0