E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > First Track Day this Saturday(Thunder Hill, CA)

06-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

First Track Day this Saturday(Thunder Hill, CA)

Well, this saturday is my first track day EVER. I've been on Infineon raceway track as a spectator but never driven. What do I need t do to prepare? I have the 'tech-spec' lined up for tomorrow, but as far as everything else, what do I need to do/check?

The temps are predicted to be in the high 90s, low 100s, will I have cooling issues since my 335i is nearly a first month build (no oil cooler)?

Things to bring from what I hear are, EZ up, chairs, BMW Continental Air Kit. Anything else that I should include to be more comfortable and/or prepared for the day?

Thanks in advance for all the input. Also, if anyone has raced T-hill, any tips to new tracker?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since you are getting your car tech'd professionally then i'll just concentrate on you the driver. Im not sure who you are running with but its nice to bring maybe a small cooler with ice and bottles of water/gatorade. The temperature at tracks are usually very overbearing and its nice to have a cold drink. E-Z Up and chairs are nice to have like you said. A air compressor and obviously a tire gauge is good so you can adjust accordingly.

Another important thing that a lot of people should do is put some painters tape on your E-brake handle. Just something that will grab your attention. Coming off the track after a session your brakes are VERY hot. If you pull up your e-brake immediately you will most likely warp your rotors. With the painters tape there, you will see it and it'll be a reminder to leave it off.
      06-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I only have 80 days at Thunderhill..I barely know the track...

check this out..

http://www.thunderhill.com/assets/mu...arpromomed.wmv

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dArNeLLi View Post
Well, this saturday is my first track day EVER. I've been on Infineon raceway track as a spectator but never driven. What do I need t do to prepare? I have the 'tech-spec' lined up for tomorrow, but as far as everything else, what do I need to do/check?

The temps are predicted to be in the high 90s, low 100s, will I have cooling issues since my 335i is nearly a first month build (no oil cooler)?

Things to bring from what I hear are, EZ up, chairs, BMW Continental Air Kit. Anything else that I should include to be more comfortable and/or prepared for the day?

Thanks in advance for all the input. Also, if anyone has raced T-hill, any tips to new tracker?
Blue Tape, Air Pressure Gauge, Water is the bare essentials. If you want to get serious, you can bring jack and jackstands, air compressor (portable cigarette lighter one), some hand tools, brake bleeder (I always bring one).

Ive only been there twice, and from what I remember it's a pretty low risk track. Take it easy and concentrate on learning the line.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

sounds good guys, i'm going with about 10 coworkers, and a few friends, alot of us our 'hogging' the hpde1 session, they have already asked for people to back out and get sunday free instead, hah.

as for blue tape, how much of the front end do i really need to tape? also, if i don't use my hand brakes i'll need to bring some sort of wheel chock to keep the car from rolling?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Hey,
Good luck on saturday! My advice is don't worry about the other guys on the track. I've noticed (after three days) I'm still really into passing people, but that's not the point of an HPDE.

You shouldn't have to worry about temps (from experience) until you really start pushing. Once you really get comfortable and start man handling the car, one of the instructors this weekend gave me really good advice. Push for a lap or two and then take two cool down laps. So do hot, hot, cold, cold, cold or something. You really shouldn't have to worry about that though until your oil temps exceed 270 which isn't guaranteed to happen (it only happens on my spawn of satan car ).

Oh and when everyone says bring water they mean it...I tend to have enough water (or gatorade really) that I'm pissin like a race horse but I stay really hydrated and can stay razor sharp. Really....bring tons and tons of water.

You don't NEED to tape your car...you can and if you do it's a matter of taste how much you tape. You do need a wheel chock, I got by with a really heavy 20 year old chock on one wheel. If you have a jack, compressor, and hand tools I would certainly bring them even if you don't have separate wheels. My first track day the lugs on one of my wheels came loose at about 120 and I had to pit in and jack the car up to find the problem before realizing I was just an idiot and didn't tighten the lugs enough (Torque wrenches are useful )

I've also found that the best chair is the driver's seat. I took a nap or two on Saturday in my driver seat and it really did the trick

Have fun!

Good luck again,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yea you dont NEED to tape up the car but since i dont have a clear bra and i care about my paint i taped it up anyways. i did full front bumper (about 2 layers because there are huge rocks at the track i went to), partial fender sideskirts and rear bumper. I bought the big roll of painters tape (2" one) and i used 3/4 of it. Keep the rest of the 1/4 and tape up your headlights and fogs when you arrive.

06-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Suntan lotion -
Appreciate 0