THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Rear oil leak?

02-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
Neophyte
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp

Rear oil leak?

I noticed some leaking from the rear of the car. It was mostly on the right although I did notice it on the left as well. This was after going through the car wash.

You can see the drop forming on the pic and the color of the fluid.

Any ideas what it could be?

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

That's a lot of oil. Check shocks and the rear axle. Not much else in the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Or engine oil is collecting on the belly pan and air flow is pulling it into the rear valance where the car wash drained it off.
Doesn't look like rear diff fluid or trans fluid.
Did you rub and smell the drops to test if it was viscous like oil and smelled like motor oil?
Did you have an oil change recently? Maybe they spilled excess oil down the side of engine because that oil looks fresh like never been inside a crankcase.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Neophyte
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberlandjames View Post
That's a lot of oil. Check shocks and the rear axle. Not much else in the rear of the car.
Yeah, it was a lot because it was mixed with water. It hasn't really happened again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Or engine oil is collecting on the belly pan and air flow is pulling it into the rear valance where the car wash drained it off.
Doesn't look like rear diff fluid or trans fluid.
Did you rub and smell the drops to test if it was viscous like oil and smelled like motor oil?
Did you have an oil change recently? Maybe they spilled excess oil down the side of engine because that oil looks fresh like never been inside a crankcase.
Oil change was around 500 miles/2 months ago. I did smell it, but since it was mixed with water it wasn't very viscous. Not sure what kind of oil it was.

What would it mean if it was engine oil collecting on the belly pan and air flow pulling it into the rear valence where the car wash drained it off? Would that be normal?
      02-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
Yeah, it was a lot because it was mixed with water. It hasn't really happened again.

Oil change was around 500 miles/2 months ago. I did smell it, but since it was mixed with water it wasn't very viscous. Not sure what kind of oil it was.

What would it mean if it was engine oil collecting on the belly pan and air flow pulling it into the rear valence where the car wash drained it off? Would that be normal?
If oil was spilled when they did an oil change and it dripped onto the belly pan and the carwash basically cleansed the oil away then thats a good thing. You could also open up your hood and make sure the oil filler cap is not leaking oil - sometimes by accident they leave the old oil cap gasket on along with a new gasket and the oil blows out dirtying the engine compartment. And regardless it's also a good time to chk your engine oil level thought the iDrive.

Last edited by overcoil; 02-13-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
hichamaziz
Banned
Rep
Drives: my car is best

thank you for your thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Neophyte
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post

If oil was spilled when they did an oil change and it dripped onto the belly pan and the carwash basically cleansed the oil away then thats a good thing. You could also open up your hood and make sure the oil filler cap is not leaking oil - sometimes by accident they leave the old oil cap gasket on along with a new gasket and the oil blows out dirtying the engine compartment. And regardless it's also a good time to chk your engine oil level thought the iDrive.
I check the oil levels with idrive weekly. It's about 80% of max level. No sign of oil leak since the car wash. Hopefully everything is ok. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hichamaziz View Post
thank you for your thread.
Where you having the same problem?
      03-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Wow, if that was from an oil spill at the last shop - thats some shitty service IMO. I've spilled oil while filling up in my career but they always get a full engine and under body shampoo with a pressure washer.

Valve cover gaskets are a common leak on pretty much all Inline 6 BMW vehicles. The gaskets start leaking then run along the heat shield above the turbo, down the back side of the engine and onto the floor, belly pan or get burnt off from the exhaust.

Also take a look at the oil filter cap - Ive seen those leak from the O-rings getting pinched during install from techs not paying attention.
Appreciate 1
Neophyte158.00
      03-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
Neophyte
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Wow, if that was from an oil spill at the last shop - thats some shitty service IMO. I've spilled oil while filling up in my career but they always get a full engine and under body shampoo with a pressure washer.

Valve cover gaskets are a common leak on pretty much all Inline 6 BMW vehicles. The gaskets start leaking then run along the heat shield above the turbo, down the back side of the engine and onto the floor, belly pan or get burnt off from the exhaust.

Also take a look at the oil filter cap - Ive seen those leak from the O-rings getting pinched during install from techs not paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post

Pretty sure it was shitty service lol. Hasn't happened again and got it checked out. Everything looked alright.

Thanks for the info
      04-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
biz4two
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 f22 n20 228i

Arrow

OP -- Glad to hear that all is well. I think I might have had a stroke if I saw all that oil under my f22 n20!!

biz
Appreciate 0