E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Steering wheel paddle retrofit help

02-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

Steering wheel paddle retrofit help

I have a BMW x1 35i. It's basically a E90 335i.

I purchased the BMS paddle shifter retrofit kit along with a E90 M3 steering wheel. The BMS webpage indicated that the retrofit kit is compatible with my car.

After installing the kit, the paddles wouldn't shift and when the car is in "D" mode, it seems like the paddles are being pressed at random that causes the car's dash to show "M2", "M3", "M4" and etc. I had a shop to do the installation for me. Perhaps the wiring connection is messed up somewhere?

Could someone please give me some pointers? I love modding my car but this kind of shits really stresses the crap out of me.

thanks in advance for your help!
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 AWD

Well you paid a shop to install the BMS kit, Id suggests taking it back to them, They most likely installed the kit incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 04:12 AM   #3
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am gonna send an email to Jon@BMS to see what is going on...
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 AWD

I am sure they just did the install incorrectly, post pics if you can
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
I have a BMW x1 35i. It's basically a E90 335i.

I purchased the BMS paddle shifter retrofit kit along with a E90 M3 steering wheel. The BMS webpage indicated that the retrofit kit is compatible with my car.

After installing the kit, the paddles wouldn't shift and when the car is in "D" mode, it seems like the paddles are being pressed at random that causes the car's dash to show "M2", "M3", "M4" and etc. I had a shop to do the installation for me. Perhaps the wiring connection is messed up somewhere?

Could someone please give me some pointers? I love modding my car but this kind of shits really stresses the crap out of me.

thanks in advance for your help!
Do you know if they coded your car to enable the paddle shifters? Or just did the physical installation?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
CurtisP87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Do you know if they coded your car to enable the paddle shifters? Or just did the physical installation?
Is it necessary to code the car...? The way I understand it, if you wire the paddle shifters to the existing auto shifter, as far as the car can tell you're just shifting with the auto's "-/+" as per usual....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

I was thinking that when I flashed my transmission with the Alpina flash, I needed to recode in order to get the paddles working but the shifter still worked fine in manual mode. But if you're just tapping into the auto shifter wires like you said then it probably doesn't need any coding.

If you're getting random M-mode upshifts then yeah it would suggest a shotty connection somewhere along the line, or the upshift paddle could be faulty. Maybe one of the pinned wires isn't pushed all the way into a connector. I'd say it's a good thing it's the upshift acting up and not the downshift

You could pull the shift knob and center trim off to take a look at the tapped wires. Or pull the airbag out and check the connectors at the paddles.

But the shop just gave it back and said it doesn't work ..? I'd take it straight back.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update for you guys... My car was actually stuck in Manaul M mode thus the transmission was stuck at M2.

This is a result of the control on the E90 M3 steering wheel not compatible with the BMS retrofit kit. The guide specifies it only works with the "61319123287" module only. The odd behavior is prob a result of that. PS: Lesson learned, read the manual carefully before dropping stuff off at a shop for work.

I have went back to my OEM steering wheel for now and things are working fine. I will order the specified control later. My car will be left alone for the next couple of months as the VRSF outlet pipe and the transmission not shifting debacle have left me uncertain of messing with my car in the next while.

For what's it worth, i hope down the road when someone is considering the retrofit would see the thread and avoid the costly mistakes that i have made.
Appreciate 0