E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > gas gauge stuck at 1/2 when less than 50% full

02-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
cband
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi (2006)

gas gauge stuck at 1/2 when less than 50% full

Found out I had a problem when car would not start today. Turned out there was no gas but my gauge said I had 50%.

Put 17 gallons in it and the gauge started up go up from 1/2 after 10 gallons were added. It is now full and the gauge is reporting full. After I drive 300 miles we will know if the gauge gets stuck again at 1/2 or magically works again.

I know there are two floats, one on each side Left and Right. I can only assume that one of them became stuck all the way up. Any way to figure out if it is the passenger side (one attached to LPFP) or left hand side (driver)? Is is worth open the tanks to even fix this or just remember to keep it more than half full?

I first thought my LPFP was bad and ordered a new one, but then realized the last time I bought gas for my E90 was 2 weeks ago. My lesson for today is don't assume the gas gauge is always correct, add some gas and see if the car starts! haha
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Try posting this in general section and you might get some responses. You posted this in NA engine section.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cband View Post
Found out I had a problem when car would not start today. Turned out there was no gas but my gauge said I had 50%.

Put 17 gallons in it and the gauge started up go up from 1/2 after 10 gallons were added. It is now full and the gauge is reporting full. After I drive 300 miles we will know if the gauge gets stuck again at 1/2 or magically works again.

I know there are two floats, one on each side Left and Right. I can only assume that one of them became stuck all the way up. Any way to figure out if it is the passenger side (one attached to LPFP) or left hand side (driver)? Is is worth open the tanks to even fix this or just remember to keep it more than half full?

I first thought my LPFP was bad and ordered a new one, but then realized the last time I bought gas for my E90 was 2 weeks ago. My lesson for today is don't assume the gas gauge is always correct, add some gas and see if the car starts! haha
If your guessing about fuel to miles, or assuming, just get it fixed. Gauges for your vitals have to work, why assume anything in your engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd fill the tank and then drive the car over 250 miles or so and observe the fuel gauge. 250 miles should get the fuel level below a half tank. Reset the MPG and MPH Average metrics in the CBS when you fill the tank. If the gauge is not operating correctly it would be fair to expect abnormally high average MPG numbers to grow quickly once the fuel level gets below 1/2 tank. Also the remaining miles till empty should also go way up too, and actually increase as you drive, which is opposite of what the CBS should report.

And as in any diagnosis for these cars, scan it with a BMW scan tool to find any related error codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
cband
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi (2006)

226 miles have been put on.

gas gauge is stuck at half way again.

bigger problem this time the yellow service engine soon light came on
the codes I am getting are:

dme 2d29 DME: differential-pressure sensor, intake manifold: plausibility
dme 2d2a DME: differential-pressure sensor, intake manifold: adaptation
dme 29db DME: smooth running, segment timing [I had this one last week]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

When you turn off the car, does the needle go to the resting position (empty) or stays at 1/2?
Appreciate 0