BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Fried Amplifier. And Brakes.

01-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Fried Amplifier. And Brakes.

2016 M2. 18,000 miles. Heard a loud crackling noise while driving, then silence. No radio, no seat belt chime, no back up beeper. Brought her in and was told the amplifier shorted out and had to be replaced. Had talk radio on. Also told them my brake pedal had a minor vibration so they replaced front pads and rotors. Also changed the oil and cabin filters along with wiper blades.

Love the all inclusive no cost service!!
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
2016 M2. 18,000 miles. Heard a loud crackling noise while driving, then silence. No radio, no seat belt chime, no back up beeper. Brought her in and was told the amplifier shorted out and had to be replaced. Had talk radio on. Also told them my brake pedal had a minor vibration so they replaced front pads and rotors. Also changed the oil and cabin filters along with wiper blades.

2016 M2 amps had a bunch of issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post

Are your windows tinted? Specifically your rear windshield?

If so, the installer probably used too much applicator fluid and it funneled from the inside of the rear deck down into the trunk and onto the amp components. It's happened to a bunch of people and it caused their amps to fry.

Another possibility would be water entering the amp area through an air vent above the drivers side rear wheel well. Don't ever stick a power washer up there when cleaning the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 01:48 AM   #4
zFrostyy
Private
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
2016 M2 amps had a bunch of issues.
Could you elaborate on this? I've had issues with mine, wondering if you have a thread where a ton of people describe their issues or is there a recall or article somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:22 AM   #5
Peasley
General Moron
England
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI MT & E30 Drift Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by zFrostyy View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I've had issues with mine, wondering if you have a thread where a ton of people describe their issues or is there a recall or article somewhere?
My amp has gone twice now and convinced it is still not right. There is a thread about it here:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1455758
Appreciate 0