XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Thumbs up Oil Cooler on X6

I honestly think that BMW did an excellent job building X6.

Placing Oil cooler right behind the left fog light was a great idea ! Now the air can flow right through it , not like on my e92. I wish they would do the same thing on 335's ...

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
ALMO7TRF
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw323i-White-2008

Thanks man for posting this... can you explaine to me why it is good to have the cooler
behind the fog lights?????

FYI,

i saw this in the MB C63 AMG
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMO7TRF View Post
Thanks man for posting this... can you explaine to me why it is good to have the cooler
behind the fog lights?????

FYI,

i saw this in the MB C63 AMG
The oil cooler is basically a small radiator.Needs fresh supply of cool air at speed to cool oil ( the pictured X6 is the TTI6-Oil temps in this particular engine have been on the high side w/o the oil cooler).The reason it's behind the fog lamps.....a good place to receive cool air.Thanks! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Also, chipped 335i's work best with an upgraded oil cooler (although it is not REALLY required). Hopefully, this means a chipped X6 will not need an upgraded oil cooler because of it's good placement.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
SayyaaF
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera 4S

Any performance numbers for your car yet doba_s ?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Also, chipped 335i's work best with an upgraded oil cooler (although it is not REALLY required). Hopefully, this means a chipped X6 will not need an upgraded oil cooler because of it's good placement.

- KJ
Chipping will void your warranty.
      06-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

archwerks

thanks for foto of oil cooler. I noticed the same feature on 1 car but didn't have my camera. Thought it would be the same on all 35i's. The only model available @ dealers. But I've not seen this vent open on others since seeing ur post. The cars i've looked since have the vents blocked on both sides w/ solid black crisscrossed plastic.
What model & w/ what opts have this vent open?
Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
thanks for foto of oil cooler. I noticed the same feature on 1 car but didn't have my camera. Thought it would be the same on all 35i's. The only model available @ dealers. But I've not seen this vent open on others since seeing ur post. The cars i've looked since have the vents blocked on both sides w/ solid black crisscrossed plastic.
What model & w/ what opts have this vent open?
Thanx.
I have all the options that you can get on this car, but even the base model should have OC ...

I think the new V8 version will have 2 oil coolers, one on each side.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyaaF View Post
Any performance numbers for your car yet doba_s ?
I gained around 50+ hp ... now working on getting custom exhaust system for it ...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I can't find the answer to my question.

Do all X6's have oil coolers behind one (35i) or both (50i) of the fog ducts?

I could swear the X6 35i that I saw at the dealer a few weeks ago had both ducts behind the fogs blocked off. But some people have said the 35i has one cooler behind one of the fogs and the 50i has coolers behind both of the fogs.

Can someone please confirm? Does it have anything to do with the "Sport Package"?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

The 35i oil is cooled by coolant fluid from the radiator. Its oil cooler is the small silver assembly at the top front center of the engine block just below and to the left of the plastic air intake tube. Hopefully, this redesign relative to the 3 series means they are adequate and don't need upgrade. The mechani told me that the 501's have coolers behind the fog lights but I don't remember if its one or both of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Mine was smoking this morning for like 10 minutes after I parked it at work. Cold day and a ton of precipitation. I tried to take a video of it but it looked terrible... and you couldn't really see it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, guys!

Maybe some other owners could chime in as well. Maybe it has changed from the 2008-2010 model year?

It's not really a big deal ... just curious ...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hot oil temp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
Mine was smoking this morning for like 10 minutes after I parked it at work. Cold day and a ton of precipitation. I tried to take a video of it but it looked terrible... and you couldn't really see it.
Pls. elaborate on "smoking"..
Where? at the oil cooler behind fog lites??
What would cause it to steam up ?? HIgh humidity & cold ambient temp?
What was engine oil temp on the gauges?

I checked onto it '08 &'09's 3.5i w/ sport pkg have the xtra oil cooler behind drivers' side fog lites. 5.0i's all have the cooler as well.
Not sure whether 2010's 3.5i without the sport pkg. would come with it now.
Can someone w/ 2010 3.5i with or without sport pkg. confirm?
(I'll have to check w/ dealer later.)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I checked onto it '08 &'09's 3.5i w/ sport pkg have the xtra oil cooler behind drivers' side fog lites. 5.0i's all have the cooler as well.
Not sure whether 2010's 3.5i without the sport pkg. would come with it now.
Can someone w/ 2010 3.5i with or without sport pkg. confirm?
(I'll have to check w/ dealer later.)
Ahh, okay. I am almost positive the non-sport 35i that I saw at my dealer did not have an oil cooler behind either of the fog lights. I'm not saying that there was not an oil cooler at all, it just wasn't behind either of the fogs ... both ducts were blocked off.

Can someone please confirm about a 35i with the sport package?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
stanleyfalls
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac10000 View Post
Ahh, okay. I am almost positive the non-sport 35i that I saw at my dealer did not have an oil cooler behind either of the fog lights. I'm not saying that there was not an oil cooler at all, it just wasn't behind either of the fogs ... both ducts were blocked off.

Can someone please confirm about a 35i with the sport package?
I have a 2010 35i built in late December with Sport Package but without the new Performance Upgrade option and it does have the fluid cooled oil cooler (manufactured my Modine who is known for these applications) mounted to the top front of the engine and both fog light ducts are blocked off. But, let me add something that is a real mystery on this subject... when I picked up my vehicle on new years eve, I saw a loaded up 2010 35i that had Sport Package AND the new Performance Upgrade with the drivers side air duct open. At the time I didn't think to pop the hood and look for the engine mounted oil cooler....So, I can only imagine the open driver side vent is a result of the new Performance Upgrade? I looked on the window sticker for anything referring to a trailer hitch or towing option and there was none. Anyone who can shed light on this please do it's got me very curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

The X6M has a huge oil cooler on the left side and the right side is the also huge water cooler for the fluid that goes to the two water intercoolers for the turbochargers. My oil temp goes to just under 210 degrees and stays there, so there must be some kind of thermostatic control to keep the oil temperature at this optimum temperature. The M has the oil temp gauge at the bottom of the tach. I am not sure about the gauges on the other models. The water intercoolers seem to stay pretty cool also. I want to check them after a full throttle pass to see if they seem at all elevated in temperature.

I would love to get a hold of more detailed images of all the systems on the car, and especially the engine. I need to go and buy the mechanics some doughnuts some time and get a look at their service information. There is so little room under the hood I have not been able to figure much out. The pictures I have are somewhat helpful, but don't show nearly everything. One thing I learned from the pictures is that the M also has piston crown oil squirters which is a very nice thing to have. Look for the little tube that shoots oil to the underside of the piston.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #18
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Col. Klink says, "Achtung! Kooler tvventy daze, Vor Hogan!""

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyfalls View Post
I have a 2010 35i built in late December with Sport Package but without the new Performance Upgrade option and it does have the fluid cooled oil cooler (manufactured my Modine who is known for these applications) mounted to the top front of the engine and both fog light ducts are blocked off. But, let me add something that is a real mystery on this subject... when I picked up my vehicle on new years eve, I saw a loaded up 2010 35i that had Sport Package AND the new Performance Upgrade with the drivers side air duct open. At the time I didn't think to pop the hood and look for the engine mounted oil cooler....So, I can only imagine the open driver side vent is a result of the new Performance Upgrade? I looked on the window sticker for anything referring to a trailer hitch or towing option and there was none. Anyone who can shed light on this please do it's got me very curious.
BMW probably changed how they equipped the cars since the 7RR perf pkg came out, purely for profit. They used to have the foglite oil cooler when u order the sport pkg in '08 in Canada. It's my guess they nixed it now unless u order the 7RR.
210 o F is 98 o C, that's pretty good my 3.5i w/o the factory cooler runs at betw'n 100-110 o C in city traffic.
One pass is hardly any stress on these engines. High speed in the summer in Death Valley or over black Georgia asphalt would be the test.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #19
stanleyfalls
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

Quote:
BMW probably changed how they equipped the cars since the 7RR perf pkg came out, purely for profit. They used to have the foglite oil cooler when u order the sport pkg in '08 in Canada. It's my guess they nixed it now unless u order the 7RR.
210 o F is 98 o C, that's pretty good my 3.5i w/o the factory cooler runs at betw'n 100-110 o C in city traffic.
One pass is hardly any stress on these engines. High speed in the summer in Death Valley or over black Georgia asphalt would be the test.
I agree it must the addition of the 7RR Perf Pkg that caused the 2010 35i with Sport Pkg to have the open driver side fog light grille. My curiosity is whether or not the new design engine mounted Modine oil cooler is also installed or if BMW decided the earlier version air to air oil cooler alone is better suited to performance driving. My oil temp in normal driving sits at 220on the guage. It seems unlikely that the engine would have both oil cooler designes but If anyone with a 2010 Sport Pkg with 7RR Perf Upg can let us know if they have both oil cooling units it would clear some of this up. One other thought is where is the transmission oil cooler? I see in the main grille there is a skinny unit at the top front of the main radiator which I would think is for A/C and then the larger unit at the bottom front of the main radiator, is this for the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
TexasinDC
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6

Hi All!

I just signed up, this is a great forum! I've learned so much in the short time that I've been a lurker. I just ordered a X6 3.5i (Tech package, Premium pack, Rear seat climate pack and heated front seat option, (My wife insisted,,,)) Pretty basic set-up. I am curious as to whether anyone has had a trailer hitch installed and what the cost was. I did a search, and came across some old threads, which were helpful, I'm just wondering if anyone has had one put on recently and what was involved.....Thanks!
Texas-
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #21
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

those are good pictures ... post some more if you get any
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bump!

Any more 2010 35i drivers care to let us know about oil cooler placement or lack there of on your setup?

No Sport Package / No Performance Package = ?

Sport Package / No Performance Package = fluid cooled oil cooler mounted to the top front of the engine and both fog light ducts are blocked off (post #16)

Sport Package / Performance Package = ?
Appreciate 0