E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Mystery Overheat

01-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
npanhuyzen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e93

Mystery Overheat

So there are quite a few threads on overheat issues, but haven't found one quite like mine.

This started a few days ago when I found myself in unusually dense traffic. After about 30 minutes of driving the yellow overheat warning popped up. I pulled over and let the car idle for a while and then proceeded cautiously. After about another minute the yellow warning went Red. So I pulled over and shut the car down for about 5-10 minutes. Started her back up and received no warnings so cautiously finished my commute - no more warnings.

Coolant level was a tiny bit low, added about a cup and half of water to the reservoir.

Next day no issues.

When I got home I decided to see if I could reproduce the issue. Idled the car in the driveway for about 30 minutes with no overheat (fan came on after about a minute and stayed on the whole time). Cabin heat gives off nice hot air. Revved it to 2500 rpm for about a minute and the yellow popped on again.

- Turned off car.
- Checked the radiator - stone cold.
- Checked the reservoir - boiling hot, didn't try to turn off the lid as it was really steaming when I loosened it slightly.

When the car had cooled, I ran the water pump test (put cabin temp at 84, step on gas for 10 sec etc).

- Fan came on after about 5 seconds
- Water pump was running (confirmed by seeing water pumping into the reservoir).

Unfortunately I don't have anything to read the codes. But I'm suspecting its a stuck thermostat perhaps?

Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by npanhuyzen View Post
So there are quite a few threads on overheat issues, but haven't found one quite like mine.

This started a few days ago when I found myself in unusually dense traffic. After about 30 minutes of driving the yellow overheat warning popped up. I pulled over and let the car idle for a while and then proceeded cautiously. After about another minute the yellow warning went Red. So I pulled over and shut the car down for about 5-10 minutes. Started her back up and received no warnings so cautiously finished my commute - no more warnings.

Coolant level was a tiny bit low, added about a cup and half of water to the reservoir.

Next day no issues.

When I got home I decided to see if I could reproduce the issue. Idled the car in the driveway for about 30 minutes with no overheat (fan came on after about a minute and stayed on the whole time). Cabin heat gives off nice hot air. Revved it to 2500 rpm for about a minute and the yellow popped on again.

- Turned off car.
- Checked the radiator - stone cold.
- Checked the reservoir - boiling hot, didn't try to turn off the lid as it was really steaming when I loosened it slightly.

When the car had cooled, I ran the water pump test (put cabin temp at 84, step on gas for 10 sec etc).

- Fan came on after about 5 seconds
- Water pump was running (confirmed by seeing water pumping into the reservoir).

Unfortunately I don't have anything to read the codes. But I'm suspecting its a stuck thermostat perhaps?

Anyone have any ideas?
Water pump / thermostat is a common failure point, and the yellow warning quickly followed by red is a prime giveaway. Whichever one failed, you'll want to replace both. My indy shop suggested doing it by 60k miles, though some have had it go earlier, and many later or not at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
npanhuyzen
United_States
Rep

That's definitely what I am thinking. Do you think the water pump problem is intermittent? Otherwise why would it run okay when doing the bleed procedure?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
450pirate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i (stock)

In my thread below, my pump was running fine during the bleed procedure but it’s most likely on its way out....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

It's the electronics on the pump that seem to go bad rather than physically breaking. Random overheating is normal when the pump or thermostat are going bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
It's the electronics on the pump that seem to go bad rather than physically breaking. Random overheating is normal when the pump or thermostat are going bad.
I experienced what he said above when mine went.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
npanhuyzen
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. Before I go swapping out the pump and thermostat is there any electrical checks that I should do? Fuses seem okay (provided I'm checking the right ones!) any relays or sensors that could be the fault? I don't want to go through the work of the swap out just to find its an electrical problem.
Appreciate 0