Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Shipping: Cardboard disc method. Please chime in if sucessfully used.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Shipping: Cardboard disc method. Please chime in if sucessfully used.

Hi All,

I've shipped wheel/tire combos MANY times in the past using the cardboard disc method (cut out 2 cardboard discs just larger that the rim face and place one over the front, one over the back, wrap with packaging tape generously, optionally some saran or plastic shrink wrap over the whole thing). I recall Tire Rack and other sellers sending them this way to me as well.

I need to hear from folks who have shipped them this way sucessfully. FedEx has damaged a set of wheels/tires that I shipped to a buyer this month and claims are VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to resolve. I just want to have some additional proof to give to FedEx before I resort to taking them to small claims court.

Please help me by indicating whether you have used this method and if the recipient received the wheels/tires without damage.

Thanks!

Daniel

UPDATE:

This is unbelievable, FedEx actually owned up. Moral of the story, ALWAYS INSURE, ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT, DO NOT GIVE UP ON UNJUST SHIPPING CLAIM DENIAL:

Last edited by Accel Junky; 06-24-2008 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Daniel,

In the past, we have shipped wheels + tires with a foam piece over the face and rear of the wheel with sufficient cardboard taped over. However, transit companies including FedEx and BAX Global have recently refused to insure or deliver wheels and tires packaged this way due to the amount of damage claims they had to pay out. I would suggest packing them this way but shipping them in 2 large boxes (2 wheel/tires per box).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Have any other users shipped mounted wheel/tires this way?

Thanks,

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

This is unbelievable, FedEx actually owned up. Moral of the story, ALWAYS INSURE, ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT, DO NOT GIVE UP ON UNJUST SHIPPING CLAIM DENIAL:

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
dhan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 TiAg E92 335i

i love fedex.

fedex > ups anyday
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Loseit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/CR/CF E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post
i love fedex.

fedex > ups anyday
that's funny....i feel exactly the opposite!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
dchen2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, XF Super V8

FedEx Air service rocks. If the FedEx ground for business uses the FedEx Air network it also rocks. Unfortunately FedEx Ground Home Delivery is a totally seperate delivery network with independently operated area contracters and I found a definite lacking in consistent quality.

Getting shipping damage claims paid out for more than $100-200 is impressive, esp with FedEx home delivery since their $.70/100 insurance is really a value declaration fee and not outright insurance per say. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchen2 View Post
FedEx Air service rocks. If the FedEx ground for business uses the FedEx Air network it also rocks. Unfortunately FedEx Ground Home Delivery is a totally seperate delivery network with independently operated area contracters and I found a definite lacking in consistent quality.

Getting shipping damage claims paid out for more than $100-200 is impressive, esp with FedEx home delivery since their $.70/100 insurance is really a value declaration fee and not outright insurance per say. Well done!
Yep, Fedex claims has been a pain in my backside for years. I'm very shocked that they came through. I know the inspector came out to look at the wheels, and noted that the packaging indicated severe dragging during shipment. (I'm surprised they didn't try to milk every aspect of the product/packaging/shipment to find another excuse to deny)
Appreciate 0