THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Has anyone done a Performance Driving Group track day?

01-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Has anyone done a Performance Driving Group track day?

I've only been on a track once (in a rented car). I'd really like to start doing track days with my 240. Am I crazy for wanting to put my daily driver through this abuse? Anyone else take their daily to track days?

More specifically, has anyone done a track day with Performance Driving Group (performancedrivinggroup . com)? If so, how did it go? I'd like to know what to expect as a beginner.

Finally, any tips for readying a daily driver for the track? Do you guys use your street tires (I've got the staggered PSS tires)? High temp brake fluid? What should I bring?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Many many people track their daily 2er here, myself included. As long as you're not constantly hitting the Rev limiter or crash you're really not putting much more abuse on it except for obviously accelerated brake and tie wear.

I have never used that company as I have always used BMW CCA so I cannot comment on that company, but the CCA is great.

There's tons of threads out there on preparing your car for the track so just search for those but the main things are brake fluid, brakes, and tires.

At the very least you must put fresh stock fluid in your brakes but you should probably go with a higher quality race fluid.

Get some summer tires because using all seasons on the track is a terrible experience IMO (edit: just saw you already have PSS so your good). Also a set of street/race brakes is not a bad idea either (EBC yellow)

Be warned, the track is super addicting so get ready to spend lots of cash.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I have used SCCA at Track Night America events and it's great. All other things mentioned are current. During the SCCA events in the novice group you follow the instructor to follow the line around the track at the start. Come back in and talk about it. Then go out on your own using point by rules. Talk about the laps with the instructor after every session as a group. Super helpful and very addictive.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252764
Appreciate 1
span1.00
      01-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I used to track my other cars quite a bit and they were daily drivers. I never had any issues with any of the cars.

I've tracked my m235i only twice. Once to setup my suspension and alignmnet. The 2nd one was to validate my build and to enter a time attack challenge for BMW's. The car and I won our class

I'm done tracking for the foreseeable future though. At least the m235 anyway. I really want a proper dedicated track car now. Or I may just start doing more driver instruction and driving other peoples cars for free

Tracking a modern car is perfectly fine in my opinion and does not cause any extreme wear and tear (except tires and brake pads). It's all about the prep...make sure have good oil in the car and good gas. I like to run race gas in the car even on a conservative tune. It gives a lot of safety margin on the engine.

Read the link pikcachu provided ^^
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Thanks, all. Pikachu -- thanks for that link. Good stuff.

Looking forward to doing this. I'll take lots of video.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
skitch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Coupe

I DD mine, and have had it on the track during a car control clinic, two DE events, and about five open lapping days. My best advice is to consider getting dedicated track tires/wheels. Best advice i got here was getting a square 245 set up on 17 inch wheels. I went with the Hankook RSV4s. Enroute to this decision i destroyed a set of PSSs and AT3s. The Hankook is much more at home on the track, the 245 square will reduce understeer, and in the long run I think you'll enjoy your track time more. I would also suggest new brake fluid as a precaution if you have not done it in the last year. Most independents will flush and fill for about $100 if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.
Future mods, well, the skies the limit. Be careful, track driving can get addictive and you'll certainly incur significant costs to support it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

just concentrate on bringing the car home the same way you brought it.

I've had 27 track days on the car, and it still daily's just fine. It's a drug chasing lap times and a good way to bankrupt yourself.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 12:01 AM   #9
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell B58 View Post
I've only been on a track once (in a rented car). I'd really like to start doing track days with my 240. Am I crazy for wanting to put my daily driver through this abuse? Anyone else take their daily to track days?

More specifically, has anyone done a track day with Performance Driving Group (performancedrivinggroup . com)? If so, how did it go? I'd like to know what to expect as a beginner.

Finally, any tips for readying a daily driver for the track? Do you guys use your street tires (I've got the staggered PSS tires)? High temp brake fluid? What should I bring?

Thanks!
Just do it.
      03-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
SizzlerWA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240 XDrive

Make sure to get extra track insurance as many regular auto policies won't cover track driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #11
BCCanuck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Xdrive

I tracked my daily driver 17 240i xDrive once last year at Mid Ohio (BMW CCA event), completely stock except for racing brake fluid. After talking to a few people about the stock all season run flats it came with I decided to give that a try since I didn't know better. They were fine for a first time out, but I could tell it would obliterate them if I kept that up. I just put PS 4s on it as a tire I can use on/off the track and will remount the all seasons when I find wheels to use for winter to extend the life of both sets (and change them yearly myself). Will try the Michelins this year and if I get more addicted will consider dedicated track tires. I did get track insurance. No problems and it was a ton of fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #12
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuck View Post
I tracked my daily driver 17 240i xDrive once last year at Mid Ohio (BMW CCA event), completely stock except for racing brake fluid. After talking to a few people about the stock all season run flats it came with I decided to give that a try since I didn't know better. They were fine for a first time out, but I could tell it would obliterate them if I kept that up. I just put PS 4s on it as a tire I can use on/off the track and will remount the all seasons when I find wheels to use for winter to extend the life of both sets (and change them yearly myself). Will try the Michelins this year and if I get more addicted will consider dedicated track tires. I did get track insurance. No problems and it was a ton of fun.
Do you mind sharing more info on the track insurance, like with whom, how much, what it covers, etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
BCCanuck
Registered
Rep

Lockton Affinity Motorsports is the company. Not cheap. I paid about $300 for an agreed value policy (you tell them how much insurance you want) for the three day event; that was something like $55K (and it comes with a 10% deductible I think, so it was really for peace of mind in case I did some real damage). I may shop around more next time and also ask others what they typically do.
Appreciate 1
cxp213313.00
      04-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuck View Post
Lockton Affinity Motorsports is the company. Not cheap. I paid about $300 for an agreed value policy (you tell them how much insurance you want) for the three day event; that was something like $55K (and it comes with a 10% deductible I think, so it was really for peace of mind in case I did some real damage). I may shop around more next time and also ask others what they typically do.
As many times as I've been on the tracks, I've never given much thought to track insurance so I genuinely was just curious -- thanks. Luckily, the times I've gone off and a few close calls with other cars on track didn't cause any major damage that's probably worth the insurance cost but good to know for the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
BCCanuck
Registered
Rep

Good to know, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

I use ontrack for insurance. $3500 for the year for unlimited days on track. 5% deductible. Agreed on value was $60k I believe.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      04-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #17
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

About to head to my first HPDE on Friday (Watkins Glen) and really appreciated the advice and encouragement here. My pads were already iffy so I sprung for Hawk HPS and full flush of ATE fluid, and just put on new summer tires, otherwise full stock. Hagerty for the insurance, mainly b/c they were simple, and were the ones who noted cleanup costs were also covered (not planning any offs, but hate to find out what a few yards of speedy-dri costs on track).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #18
teinesina
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240xi

Wow I never thought of cleanup costs. Seems like that should just be included in the track fee that everyone pays and the tracks own crew and maintenance. I paid $225 for two days (One event weekend). through Lockton insurance. That was 10% deductible and agreed coverage of $46,000. One of these days I need to call them and get details.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It might vary by track, here it is a big part of all the waivers (along with that 'you might get killed' stuff that I gloss over) so I figured it wouldn't hurt. Lockton might also cover that, just not up front in the ads - must confess I didn't shop around much, and succumbed to Hagerty's 'best ads ever' strategy, price was w/i $20 of the club recc.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #20
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
About to head to my first HPDE on Friday (Watkins Glen) and... Hagerty for the insurance, mainly b/c they were simple, and were the ones who noted cleanup costs were also covered (not planning any offs, but hate to find out what a few yards of speedy-dri costs on track).
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but with a couple of hundred track days under my belt, many of them instructing at BMW events at the Glen as well as at other Northeast tracks.

One cleanup thing to keep in mind, and it will only come up if things go totally sideways, is that drivers have been charged by their clubs (who were charged by the track) for the replacement of bent Armco sections. Needless to say, that stuff is not cheap. I'm not saying this is a universal practice, nor that a particular club would pass the cost through to the driver if they were charged by the track, but it might be worth discussing with your agent and your club.

GVC has excellent instructors, and I'm certain you'll be very busy having a great time while not worrying about these sorts of issues, but it doesn't hurt to be informed.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
Maynard3804.50
      04-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #21
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just back and starting to settle down, already planning my next trip, and for a full weekend. On one hand I'm thinking 'why did I wait' but also realizing that trying this when my car was still the new baby probably would have completely freaked me out (as opposed to just 90% freakout - like waiting a bit longer to brake for turn 1, or not braking for that fast sweeper). Then I got a couple of rides in rat-rod Spec E30's at what felt like twice the pace, which just whet my appetite for more. The GVC chapter really ran a class act, super friendly but also very professional, great instruction and no testoseroidal BS. I think a helmet is on my short list for birthday presents (or a car hauler....).

And as it turned out, I did get to see s/b take out a chunk of that Armco right out of the bus stop (actually just saw the aftermath, but only about 20 seconds ahead of us on track) - sobering, but they got it running for the last session (or were hoping to). They aren't kidding about the Armco painting the whole car blue. I didn't have the heart to ask them specifics about what the shunt cost - they were busy hammering out the bodywork and staying positive, and it seemed like it would be a jerk move.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
kjb26
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235

Maynard, I was there too (awesome event!). I assume you're talking about the gray WRX that came back as a blue WRX after hitting the Armco? Seeing that on day 1 really set my head straight for days 2 and 3.
Appreciate 0