E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The Missing Car Jack - What to Do?

05-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

The Missing Car Jack - What to Do?

Hi Guys & Gals,

Planning to sort my rusty disks but suddenly realised that as I now have a new fangled beemer with runflat tyres - my car won't have a jack.

I'm none too keen on trying my trolley jack as I know the sills have special fittings to locate the official jack and as I once had a car slip off a jack, I don't want to repeat the experience!!

I'm sure BMW would be happy to sell me a shiny new one but what has everyone else here done when they wanted to jack up the car completely?Bought from BM or gone to a salvage yard??

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Jack up as normal on the four large plastic jack mounts and the end of each sill. Thats what they are there for.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I trashed the plastic jack mounts on my car using a trolley jack so be careful.
      05-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
If you can get hold of a jack from a E46 or a Mini (BMW) it will fit a treat.

I mullered mine using a trolley jack, but the Mini jack reformed the mulleration!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
JamboChris
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Cut some ply to fit inside the plastic jacking points. Then use your trolley jack (if you have one) on the plywood.

I have to drive onto a brick first as my trolley jack won't go low enough. Machine Mart sell an aluminium jack which goes quite low, might be an excuse to buy one

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
92-2T
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335i SE

My solution was similar to Chris’s suggestion above, I cut a block of hard wood to fit. Plugs snugly into the jack socket on the car and rests in the trolley jack's pad.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Thanks to everyone for your advice/comments

Chris/Mark: Years ago I would defo have used something like a block of would myself but about 8 years back I was running an e36 Alpina coupe - I figured my 'trusty' trolley jack would be far safer than the factory jack however, the bit of wood I was using slipped, the jack moved and the car dropped to the floor, with me scrabbling to get out - lesson learned, it's now safety first, proper tools or nought.

Spoke to my local dealer this am and they wanted £84 , so I called Quarry Motors (Dismantlers) at Sheffield T: 01142 769076 - their price for an e46 jack...........£10 !!!! and if you want it couriered next day £8.

All sorted for £18 - should arrive tomorrow.

BTW: If you do use a block of wood, all I can say is 'be careful out there' and make sure you get an axle stand under the car asap.

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0