BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Corner balancing, to do or not to do?

12-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Corner balancing, to do or not to do?

Hey everyone. I'm looking to upgrading my suspension soon to Bilstein coilovers and haven't decided which camber plates yet. I was wondering, what would be the benefits of me having the car corner balanced after installation? Is this something I can skip without any negatives? My car will be mainly street driven with maybe a track day here and there. Even then, a track say may not be for a while. Thanks
      12-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

This is my impression: Nothing wrong with NOT corner balancing your car. Corner balancing is supposed to help your vehicle behave more consistently(better) when corner, braking, etc. An analogy I've used is imagine a 4 legged chair where 3 of the legs are the same length and the 4th is shorter. If you are a novice/intermediate driver, corner balancing your car will probably not lower your track times nor will you feel much of a difference(at least in my case).

Its definitely not a waste of time or money. Corner balancing will only be more beneficial to your vehicle, but dont let it stop you from driving around the streets or track!

Again, this is only my perspective. YMMV
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opplock1 View Post
This is my impression: Nothing wrong with NOT corner balancing your car. Corner balancing is supposed to help your vehicle behave more consistently(better) when corner, braking, etc. An analogy I've used is imagine a 4 legged chair where 3 of the legs are the same length and the 4th is shorter. If you are a novice/intermediate driver, corner balancing your car will probably not lower your track times nor will you feel much of a difference(at least in my case).

Its definitely not a waste of time or money. Corner balancing will only be more beneficial to your vehicle, but dont let it stop you from driving around the streets or track!

Again, this is only my perspective. YMMV
While I agree you won't see a noticeable difference (as a beginner/intermediate driver)...if you just spent $5k getting a full suspension installed, spend another 5-10% and get the damn car corner balanced and properly setup. If the coilovers aren't setup properly, the car will probably drive worse than the stock suspension...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #4
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

In my case, it was totally worth it - $300 which was not much compared to the cost of the coilovers. This was on a different car but if I put coilovers on my M2 I'd do the same thing.

I may not have needed the exact precision they gave me but it was easily worth having someone with deep knowledge of the subject area set up the suspension. The shop owner even interviewed me and set ride height, camber, toe, etc perfectly for what I wanted to do with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I didn’t corner balance. I did get an alignment tho free by bmw. and I also got -2 degree camber in rear. You ain’t tracking so ain’t a big deal.

Someone people on this forum is anal about these things.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Well worth it if

A) You have replaced enough components, wheels included, that would effectively alter the balance of the car. B) If you drive the car hard enough to warrant the fine tuning, itself.

If you're simply installing a set of "pre-tuned" coilovers I'm not sure it's warranted, to be honest. Coilovers, Sway bars, Lightweight Wheels, suspension arms/bushings, absolutely 100% worthwhile.

For those who are getting this done for under $500, that's a great deal!
      01-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
If it is just a DD, all you need is an alignment. The M2 is already very well balanced and unless you are a heavy guy or tracking it, I wouldn't recommend.

But as others have said, it never hurts if you have the time and money for it (which are both pretty nominal for a quality corner balance).
Appreciate 1
emdeuce196.50
      01-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Thank you everyone for all your helpful input. I think I'll just get alignment and skip the corner balancing for now and maybe get it in the future when I find a more permanent setup with suspension and wheels and if and when I have a future track day planned.
      01-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #9
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Alignment..... corner balance if your a serious track'r, club racer or if you got the $$ just laying around.
Appreciate 1
emdeuce196.50