BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Last minute considerations? PPF or coating ?

12-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Last minute considerations? PPF or coating ?

So... It's been quite a wait, and I think I still have a few weeks to go before I can actually take delivery of my 2018 M2. After a long delay following two hurricanes, I think the date might actually be close.

I called the dealer last week and somehow another M2 got in front of my delivery and the owner didn't want it because they got the transmission wrong (he wanted DCT and it's 6MT like mine). I got the option to accept the car instead of mine, the only difference being it's Black Sapphire Metallic. I'm going to stop by the dealer when it arrives to see it, but I'm pretty sold on the Long Beach Blue and probably going to wait for mine.

I'm now going through the options and re-evaluating if I want to apply PPF or a coating. I was testing some products on my current daily driver (a Buick Regal 2000 LS), and was looking down the path of just going with a really good regimen of wax and self applied coatings, I had settled on AMMO products for now.

But as I'm waiting for the delivery of the car and looking through the forum I'm kind of reconsidering XPEL on the car. Mostly to prevent damage on the rocker panels and the hood, which going by the damage on the current daily and what I've seen on the site.

Are there any other considerations I should have on these last few weeks before delivery?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I've never seen such a prevalence of entire-car PPF except for this forum. Personally I think it's overkill.
      12-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Turbo_addict
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
So... It's been quite a wait, and I think I still have a few weeks to go before I can actually take delivery of my 2018 M2. After a long delay following two hurricanes, I think the date might actually be close.

I called the dealer last week and somehow another M2 got in front of my delivery and the owner didn't want it because they got the transmission wrong (he wanted DCT and it's 6MT like mine). I got the option to accept the car instead of mine, the only difference being it's Black Sapphire Metallic. I'm going to stop by the dealer when it arrives to see it, but I'm pretty sold on the Long Beach Blue and probably going to wait for mine.

I'm now going through the options and re-evaluating if I want to apply PPF or a coating. I was testing some products on my current daily driver (a Buick Regal 2000 LS), and was looking down the path of just going with a really good regimen of wax and self applied coatings, I had settled on AMMO products for now.

But as I'm waiting for the delivery of the car and looking through the forum I'm kind of reconsidering XPEL on the car. Mostly to prevent damage on the rocker panels and the hood, which going by the damage on the current daily and what I've seen on the site.

Are there any other considerations I should have on these last few weeks before delivery?
I highly suggest PPF. I had the whole front end done including rocker and rear quarter panels. I then had the whole car ceramic coated. Not a chip in sight and incredibly easy to clean.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Wait for the car you want.

I also HIGHLY recommend PPF on the front end of the car, Front bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, probably rockers and A pillars if you want it if you would like the car to stay looking new. For me it gives me peace of mind when driving instead of worrying.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_addict View Post
Quote:

I highly suggest PPF. I had the whole front end done including rocker and rear quarter panels. I then had the whole car ceramic coated. Not a chip in sight and incredibly easy to clean.
I did the same thing and thankfully also have no chips. Definitely the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

I contemplated PPF and ultimately opted out. Worst decision I’ve made with the (AW) M2. My bumper is getting hammered with sand and rocks and it shows. I pay extreme caution to my following distances and make a conscious effort to avoid kicked up crap, but to no avail. Not to mention I’ve found out the hard way BMW uses VERY soft paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

PPF is worth every penny......
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

You see threads like this, about paint coatings, on just about any car enthusiast forum. I would personally not do this, because I'm not as anal as some appear to be about their car's paint, and because I don't think you will get your money back at the time of resale. Perhaps there are some environments and some locations where I'm wrong about this, but in the main I am right.

I wash my cars regularly and when the sealant I apply starts to wear off (4-6 months, depending on the time of year and how much I use the car), then I re-apply it. I even clay my cars, in rare instances. The water beads right off my cars when I wash them. It costs very little to do this type of maintenance other than your time. I do garage my cars and because of the 4-season climate I live in, coupled with the fact that I have cars that don't get used at all for 4 months during the winter, I might only apply sealant to a given car twice a year.

When it comes time to sell your car, it is extremely unlikely that you will sell the car to someone who is so demanding about the exterior paint that a coated car will get your even $1 more. If you trade your car in to a dealer because you have better things to do with your time than deal with yahoos from Craigs List, you will absolutely not get back anything for these coatings.

So yes, if you are going to keep your car for 10 years and you are going to obsess about it to the point of not being able to drive it, then *maybe* this sort of thing is worth buying. Otherwise, I would take a huge pass on it and spend your good money on something else; might I suggest a nice bottle of red Burgundy for tonight's dinner?
      12-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I've never seen such a prevalence of entire-car PPF except for this forum. Personally I think it's overkill.
In a country where m2 sells for 110k (tax inc.) and Xpel full wrap 3k, it's not.

Partial wrap is NOT even an option from Xpel dealers in China. Really.
      12-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
You see threads like this, about paint coatings, on just about any car enthusiast forum. I would personally not do this, because I'm not as anal as some appear to be about their car's paint, and because I don't think you will get your money back at the time of resale. Perhaps there are some environments and some locations where I'm wrong about this, but in the main I am right.

I wash my cars regularly and when the sealant I apply starts to wear off (4-6 months, depending on the time of year and how much I use the car), then I re-apply it. I even clay my cars, in rare instances. The water beads right off my cars when I wash them. It costs very little to do this type of maintenance other than your time. I do garage my cars and because of the 4-season climate I live in, coupled with the fact that I have cars that don't get used at all for 4 months during the winter, I might only apply sealant to a given car twice a year.

When it comes time to sell your car, it is extremely unlikely that you will sell the car to someone who is so demanding about the exterior paint that a coated car will get your even $1 more. If you trade your car in to a dealer because you have better things to do with your time than deal with yahoos from Craigs List, you will absolutely not get back anything for these coatings.

So yes, if you are going to keep your car for 10 years and you are going to obsess about it to the point of not being able to drive it, then *maybe* this sort of thing is worth buying. Otherwise, I would take a huge pass on it and spend your good money on something else; might I suggest a nice bottle of red Burgundy for tonight's dinner?
If you want your money back buy a Vanguard fund.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
If you want your money back buy a Vanguard fund.
Are you saying that you prefer car chemicals to a fine, French Pinot Noir?
      12-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Are you saying that you prefer car chemicals to a fine, French Pinot Noir?
That's probably true yes. All I was really saying is that all the coatings and PPF generally isn't about protecting the value of the car for most people. I did argue with one guy on here who flat bedded the vehicle back and forth and did all this work himself because he didn't trust anyone and said it was worth spending all the extra money and time because when he sold his cars used he got a lot more money back because they looked new, which I just didn't believe a used buyer of a truck or whatever is going to pay that much more for perfect paint on a 5 year old vehicle.

For most I think the additional protection to the car is to keep the car looking they way they want and make washes easier, if they get any money back later that's just bonus.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
That's probably true yes. All I was really saying is that all the coatings and PPF generally isn't about protecting the value of the car for most people. I did argue with one guy on here who flat bedded the vehicle back and forth and did all this work himself because he didn't trust anyone and said it was worth spending all the extra money and time because when he sold his cars used he got a lot more money back because they looked new, which I just didn't believe a used buyer of a truck or whatever is going to pay that much more for perfect paint on a 5 year old vehicle.

For most I think the additional protection to the car is to keep the car looking they way they want and make washes easier, if they get any money back later that's just bonus.
There's nothing wrong with that; cars are a passion or hobby for many, and anything that gives you enjoyment with a hobby does not need to be price-justified.

The issue that I see is you can't use your car and keep it looking "perfect," I don't care what you do to it. Over time it is going to accumulate little imperfections. One way to look at these imperfections is as "flaws," but another way is to consider them to be like a "patina," such as you might get on something made of a precious metal, with use.

I have 2 older, semi-collectible cars; one is a 2000 Z3M Coupe, and the other is a 2003 911 996 Porsche Twin Turbo. Neither is high mileage, but neither was a total garage queen. The Porsche has around 78K miles, and the BMW has ~60K miles. They both look very very good for their age, but they are used cars and they look the part. Almost every time I drive the Porsche, someone compliments me on it, and I do also get frequent compliments on the Z3M Coupe. I keep them washed and sealed and their paint shines, at least a bit. If either of them had a door ding, I would get it PDR'd.

But they are used cars and they look like used, classic cars. I don't think you can hope for any more than that with a car that gets driven, a car that is used. Sure, you can keep your M2 or whatever in the garage, take it out for a few miles on Sundays, and keep it looking "showroom-perfect." But, doesn't that sort of defeat the whole purpose in owning the car in the first place, which I think, should be to use and to enjoy it? And if you use and enjoy it, I don't care what you put on the paint, it is going to end up looking like a used car.
      12-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #14
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

I’m about to take delivery of my M2 and the PPF+coating decision is a tough one. In the end, I’ve decided to do it, mainly because of the roads here in Colorado.

I can’t see it making a huge impact to its resale value down the track, but it certainly won’t hurt it!

The cost is a bit of a kick in the teeth (eg. Could buy a turbo back exhaust for the same money ugh!) but I’m just going to suck it up.

Oh, and for SURE wait for your chosen colour man. My dealer offered me a BSM M2 exact apec as my on-order MG, and threw in a very enticing 0.9% financing, but I just couldn’t do it.. it’s my dream car and it must be in Mineral Grey.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #15
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Wow, thanks for all the advice and replies!

I got a quote for front coverage with XPEL, but I'm waiting to see if they have a full coverage option before I make a decision either way. I'm kind of fading on the idea of a coating on top of that because I think I can handle waxing and coating myself and I don't really mind washing the car.

My concern is mostly rock chips and rocker panel damage from what I've seen on the forum and the evidence from my previous car which I've had for more than 10 years on the road.

I'm not really going to stop driving it or using it to preserve the paint. In fact, I'm probably not going to sell it in the foreseeable future, so while maintaining the condition and price is nice, I'm not really counting on it nor, do I plan to keep the mileage low. I'm mostly doing it to have a bit of peace of mind like akkando mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #16
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

For me the € 3500 for a full PPF was well worth it considering the car costs so much in France. That's 5% of the total car cost for tremendous peace of mind. The need to protect the front, we all know about but I reckon the doors should definitely be done too as protection against slobs opening theirs and hitting yours. And then there's the slob who might try to key it (I know, it won't protect against high pressure keying but it's something all the same), then there's the birdshit, hailstones, sandstorms, decaying leaves, out of control supermarket trolleys and a few things I haven't thought about. Honestly, we all spend so much time thinking about our cars before delivery and crying over the smallest amount of damage, it doesn't make sense not to protect them.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2
M2Nebula547.50
champignon1562.00
      12-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
For me the € 3500 for a full PPF was well worth it considering the car costs so much in France. That's 5% of the total car cost for tremendous peace of mind.
C'est trop cher (cette voiture)