E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > How to clean engine from OFHG Leak

12-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #1
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

How to clean engine from OFHG Leak

Okay so my OFHG is toast and I’ll taking care of that over the holiday break. The front of my engine is grimes and I believe it made its way to the down pipe / transmission. Was wondering what the best way to clean the engineer after replacing the gasket? I plan on removing the radiator fan to make space. Brake cleaner? Rags? Garden hose? TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Also don't forget the left side of the engine near the firewall just below the intake manifold. Usually oil will trickle its way back there.

I too need a solid cleaning from the same issue, but will wait until spring and take everything apart.

You'll need:
brake cleaner
engine degreaser
brushes (various shapes and sizes)
rags
garden hose to rinse it all off (cover the alternator with a bag, don't use high pressure)

...oh and use gloves
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
dleccord
Captain
Rep

btw, when replacing the OFHG, will coolant or oil splash onto my drive belt? currently, the belt and pulleys are dry and has no sign of oil residue on them, just the engine block.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
cjdzombie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive, M Sport

I'm gong to tackle this soon as well. The front of my engine is pretty gummed up as well. I want to clean it up, but want to make sure not to hurt and electrical connections, which are covered in oil/dirt.
      12-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
northbranchroad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i xdrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
btw, when replacing the OFHG, will coolant or oil splash onto my drive belt? currently, the belt and pulleys are dry and has no sign of oil residue on them, just the engine block.
Coolant definitely will if you remove the cylinder head coolant hose to gain more space. I tried my best to stop any coolant from leaking onto mine but didn't have much luck. Not much oil leaks out, I tried pretty hard to catch all the oil and I think I got away with only 1 or 2 small drops of oil onto my belt.

If you plan to remove the cylinder head coolant hose the end fitting will break because its old and made out of plastic for some reason. Buy a new aluminum fitting for like $22 from eBay so you can change it at the same time, I found this out the hard way and had to wait 3 days after I finished the ofhg for the new aluminum fitting to arrive.

Also maybe it was coincidence (probably not) but my belt started squealing really loud very shortly after I finished the job. I had spilled a good amount of coolant on the belt, but it continued to squeal even after I thought it would have been completely dry.

Do yourself a favor and buy the aluminum hose fitting, and a new belt and do them along with the gaskets. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
dleccord
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbranchroad View Post
It definitely will if you remove the cylinder head coolant hose to gain more space. I tried my best to stop any coolant from leaking onto mine but didn't have much luck.

If you plan to remove the cylinder head coolant hose the end fitting will break because its old and made out of plastic for some reason. Buy a new aluminum fitting for like $22 from eBay so you can change it at the same time, I found this out the hard way and had to wait 3 days after I finished the ofhg for the new aluminum fitting to arrive.

Also my it was coincidence but my belt started squealing really loud very shortly after I finished the job. I had spilled a good amount of coolant on the belt, but it continued to squeal even after I thought it would have been completely dry.

Do yourself a favor and buy the aluminum hose fitting, and a new belt and do them along with the gaskets. Good luck!
Thanks for the input. Do you need the tool to install the belt? Also did you replace the pulleys or just the belt?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
northbranchroad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i xdrive sedan

yeah, you need a special male torx for loosening the tensioner - I forget the exact size but it was like $5 at autozone. You also need a a breaker bar to loosen the tension and another set of hands to keep the tension loose. It was actually incredibly easy, and I only removed the front piece of the air intake.

I probably should have replaced the tensioner and pulleys too, but they all seemed fine. The belt was like $30 and for sure needed to be replaced. I figured I would just put to the tension and pulleys at a different date.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

It’s a t60. Bigger than most sets go, but easy to find as a single sale piece. Id recommend removing the belt before you undo the filter housing. Just keep it out of the mess, unless it’s due to be changed anyways, in which case, change it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #9
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

If your oil stain is that extensive I am surprised your belt isn't decaying from oil contamination yet.

Always remove the belt when doing this repair. You will need to take the fan out anyway to access the lower bolts.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Don't use a power washer. I almost ruined an ignition coil that way Car went in limp mode. The problem resolved itself after the engine dried from a few drives. I haven't had any symptoms since. It turns out our coils can have a problem of taking in moisture.

Use a spray degreaser and something to agitate. You can use a metal wire brush on aluminum engine parts to help give it a good shine, but use soft bristles for plastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Brake cleaner in a hand operated pump sprayer (make sure it is a chemical resistant one as most garden ones will not have compatible seals).

Be sure to disconnect the negative cable on the battery and no smoking/naked flames as brake cleaner is pretty nasty stuff.

Some truck shops may also have a water based heavy duty degreaser that you spray on and hose off. Dont let it sit on aluminium for too long
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #12
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Yes to Brake Cleaner - But ---

YES - Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner as to not hurt the plastic parts.

NO - Standard Brake Cleaner not good for BMW plastics & rubber stuff.
Appreciate 0