BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Subwoofer in Trunk

12-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Subwoofer in Trunk

Today I went to an audio shop to ask about getting a subwoofer installed in the trunk. The installer said my car has steel frame in the back of the seats and it is essentially sealed. He said a wooded in the trunk won't be as effective and best to upgrade the speakers inside of the car. Any truth to this? I have HK upgrade but would like to add more low end. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCar View Post
Today I went to an audio shop to ask about getting a subwoofer installed in the trunk. The installer said my car has steel frame in the back of the seats and it is essentially sealed. He said a wooded in the trunk won't be as effective and best to upgrade the speakers inside of the car. Any truth to this? I have HK upgrade but would like to add more low end. Thanks.
You may want to consider BavSound.
I love mine so much and couple of my local customers that I installed are having a blast with the upgrade.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
BGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550ix

Quote:
I believe these Focal subs are plug and play with the underseat OEM ones, not sure how they compare with the Bavsound subs.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...#compatibility
Porsche 993 C2 Cab.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I love mine so much and couple of my local customers that I installed are having a blast with the upgrade.
I also agree the Bavsound Ghost Subs are pretty good and a definite improvement, but they will not replicate the bass of a subwoofer.
Anybody thinking of adding a subwoofer in the G30 should consider specifying the ski hatch if buying new.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
swordfishunter
Rep
Drives: x3

The ski hatch is just the entire center seat back rest folding down, and not just a hole from the armrest.

I have the earthquake SRS in mine at the moment with the HK, with a audioquest carbon cable linked to an iPhone.
With the proper settings this is adequate for the time being. It hits harder than expected maybe down to the mid 30hz?

That being said, I have a some Focal KE100's, a helix v6, and a jl10w7 with a jl hd750 amp sitting in a cardboard box begging to be installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
dcwjd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

I measured and there isn’t much clearance in the trunk. Only 11 inches total from floor of trunk to rear deck. I think an 8 inch sub is all that would fit
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I also agree the Bavsound Ghost Subs are pretty good and a definite improvement, but they will not replicate the bass of a subwoofer.
Anybody thinking of adding a subwoofer in the G30 should consider specifying the ski hatch if buying new.
This is the reason I want to avoid the bandaids solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwjd View Post
I measured and there isn’t much clearance in the trunk. Only 11 inches total from floor of trunk to rear deck. I think an 8 inch sub is all that would fit
Do you have the space saver spare tyre in yours?
I know that option eats into available space in the trunk area. I've a G30 coming at the end of January and had thought about the possibility of adding my JL sub if the bass isn't deep enough for me, but if it's only 11 inches of height available, then there's no chance as it's almost 14" high.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
dcwjd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
I know that option eats into available space in the trunk area. I've a G30 coming at the end of January and had thought about the possibility of adding my JL sub if the bass isn't deep enough for me, but if it's only 11 inches of height available, then there's no chance as it's almost 14" high.

Yes I have the spare in the trunk and it eats up a ton of space. I have a JL audio box I wanted to add but there is no possible way. The best option is a fiberglass enclosure for one of the rear corners but it’s very pricey. I contacted Musicar Northwest to see if they have anything made for our cars yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Yes a sealed trunk is a classic issue when trying to make bass. Experience has taught this to installers for decades. Some will try to drill holes in the rear deck or remove rear deck speakers to open things up a bit. When in this situation I recommend removing rear deck speakers if an option. The bonus is you will likely improve sound stage up front because you no longer have tweeters coming from behind you.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #11
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
installing a sub and amp in the boot. My car doesnt have folding seats.
Ive read on a few forums that most of the bass wont make its way into the cabin because. Any truth to this?

want to install a sub thats 300-400W RMS. will this be sufficient to compensate sound insulation of my sealed boot?

Also on the HK system does anyone know the underseat subwoofer wiring colours?

Im trying to tap into them from the boot where the amp is.
Would avoid needing to unscrew from seats and sub.
Appreciate 0