BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

05-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
rmashman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Upholstery problems and 1200 miles service.

1)Completed my 1200 mile service at North County BMW in Oceanside, California where I bought the car.

They have been very nice and let me watch Tech Roy do the job. He was very careful and looked up all the torque settings (it was the first one they did). They had all the correct oils and got them in the right places. Without my asking, he knew from looking it up that he had to activate the transmission oil pump to empty and fill the trans.

2) Roy also diagnosed and corrected the fault in the EDC system. It had given me the shock absorber picture on the check control and the EDC button stopped switching settings. It was a bad connection at one of the pins. Now all fixed and code cleared.

All of the above is good --now to the bad.

3) Since I have gotten the car, I have been disappointed in the interior leather finish. There are lots of small flaws and wrinkles on the seats and extended leather dash. I think the flaws are most visible in non-black leather cars. I have the wavy door panels like on South's car. The dealer checked other cars and they all had the wavy door panels.

So I decided to push the repair of the worst leather flaw which was several obvious leather creases in the interior rear side of the driver's seat bottom. It was ugly and would get uglier with the heavy use that the driver's seat gets. The passenger seat didn't have this problem.

The dealer has ordered and replaced the drivers side seat bottom leather and cushion. The problem is worse with the new pieces and now has some other minor creases it didn't have before. The regional tech representative looked at the car last Friday and they are going to try to replace it again to see if that will solve the problem. I am not optimistic and think I will have to find a good upholstery shop to refit the leather bottom and adjust the various tensions to get it right. By that time the leather will be creased and that won't go away.

The dealer is trying but this isn't their skill and BMW is not providing parts that can just be installed by a tech and be correct.

Anyone else having leather problems?
Appreciate 0