E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery registration issue Foxwell scanner

12-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
3.1L Z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, Cobb AP

Battery registration issue Foxwell scanner

Have the NT510 and entering a different AH Value for the replacement battery.

Getting the following reason why I cannot change the value:

-No communication with IBS or engine electronics
-DME/DDE program status cannot save battery change
-Terminal 15 was not switched on
-Engine running

Same reasons above if car is running or not.

I’m sure these same reason can pop up within other systems or software or maybe INPA as well.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

'11 E92, MSport
3 Pedal 3.1L Stroker Z
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Do you have the ignition on and not running?

Just try to start the car without your foot on the clutch and it will turn to "on" mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Your car is acting up, not the Foxwell scanner.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
3.1L Z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, Cobb AP

Ok. Making progress. Actually just replaced the battery on my wife’s X3. I registered the battery. Same AGM style but new one is 92ah and old one is 90ah. The Foxwell stated I could change the ah in the “diagnostic “ section but cannot find any section to change ah or change from lead acid to AGM. Anyone help?

'11 E92, MSport
3 Pedal 3.1L Stroker Z
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

There has been a lot of discussion as to whether the NT510 can code a battery (change type and/or Ah). It certainly can register one like in your X3. Whatever you find out about coding, it'd be appreciated if you post it.

It the scanner can not code, maybe if enough of us let Foxwell know that feature is important, maybe in an update they will enable coding.
      03-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1L Z View Post
Have the NT510 and entering a different AH Value for the replacement battery.

Getting the following reason why I cannot change the value:

-Engine running

Same reasons above if car is running or not.

I’m sure these same reason can pop up within other systems or software or maybe INPA as well.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Reviving an old thread. I have this same issue as well with my 2008 328xi N51. The battery I'm replacing is the original. I went to the dealership and bought a OEM replacement Lead Acid type as that is what the parts department gave me. We had to verify the AH rating, since they seem to have no way to know what came with the car.

Fast forward to now. I replaced the battery a few weeks ago and have received the same error. However, I was digging deeper today and noticed that the scanner indicated my car had an AGM battery from the factory (the one I just pulled out).

Is there any issue going from OEM AGM to Lead Acid? All other threads are asking the opposite (Lead Acid to AGM), which I understand the need to code. However, if my car is coded for AGM from the factory, would that limit me from utilizing this new Lead Acid battery?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

The Foxwell NT 510 can register anew battery but it cannot change the AH or type of battery. There are menu options that suggest it has the ability to change AH and type but when you follow the menu options they dead end with a statement that you have to use ISTA.
      03-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Reviving an old thread. I have this same issue as well with my 2008 328xi N51. The battery I'm replacing is the original. I went to the dealership and bought a OEM replacement Lead Acid type as that is what the parts department gave me. We had to verify the AH rating, since they seem to have no way to know what came with the car.

Fast forward to now. I replaced the battery a few weeks ago and have received the same error. However, I was digging deeper today and noticed that the scanner indicated my car had an AGM battery from the factory (the one I just pulled out).

Is there any issue going from OEM AGM to Lead Acid? All other threads are asking the opposite (Lead Acid to AGM), which I understand the need to code. However, if my car is coded for AGM from the factory, would that limit me from utilizing this new Lead Acid battery?
FWIW, I just replaced the factory Bosch (720CCA, 160RC, 90AH, lead-acid) with an EverStart Maxx H8 (900CCA, 140RC, 90AH, lead-acid) and used the Carly app to register it. It also has a nice UI to code a battery with a different AH or chemistry.

I suspect your original factory battery was NOT an AGM.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
hrabadi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Check on the original battery
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
FWIW, I just replaced the factory Bosch (720CCA, 160RC, 90AH, lead-acid) with an EverStart Maxx H8 (900CCA, 140RC, 90AH, lead-acid) and used the Carly app to register it. It also has a nice UI to code a battery with a different AH or chemistry.

I suspect your original factory battery was NOT an AGM.
I'd expect the same thing, but I'm not sure. The original I just replaced was listed as a 900CA, 160RC, 90AH on the sticker, and the top was black. I don't recall if the bottom section was white (I only took a pic from the top). The new one is a a lower CCA rating (750CCA I believe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrabadi View Post
Check on the original battery
Sadly, I returned the core. That said, even when I went to buy the battery from the BMW parts department, they needed to see what the amp hour rating was and couldn't verify based on VIN.

Is the Foxwell scanner pulling incorrect info from my car? The scanner tells me the first and only battery installed in the car was registered as 90AH AGM.

Debating about buying Protools and seeing if I get the same info. Bummed they just bumped the prices up recently it appears.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

My experience with the Foxwell tool - registration no problem. It will ask you if you have a different type or capacity and if you say yes it will tell you to use Progman or something.

I coded an ah change with NCSExpert and the Foxwell does show the new ah battery.
      03-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #12
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So it does appear that my car came with an AGM battery from the factory. I went back to the parts department and the manager just let me swap out the new one for the AGM.

That said, I still can't seem to register the battery with the Foxwell. Even attempting to just do a like for like registration it still gives me the error about no communication/terminal 15. I don't believe I saw the error I saw before which indicated the OEM battery was AGM.

Will try again...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #13
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

As stated, the Foxwell can register a battery, but not program one. There is a lot of confusion on this. I used Carly to program my AGM. The Protools app can do it as well.
      12-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #14
mm899
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328 xdrive

FOXWELL NT510 not able to reset the same battery

Hello friends,

I finally got around to replacing my battery after I started getting some warnings pop up(ABS, traction control, brakes along with wipers running non stop). I did get my batteries checked and it was a bad battery(been on the car since 2009). No idea how it lasted this long.

Long story short while registering the new after market battery(same type as the original one) I got the same failure messages in my scanner

-Engine running

Is my foxwell scanner just not programmed to reset batteries? And yes the swtich was on but the engine was turned off.

Please let me know if any of you have run into something similar and if yes, how did you fix it or what was the problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #15
ATLBMW2021
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i; 2013 X5 35d

I tried this yesterday and had the same errors and I had the car in on mode, but not the engine:

-Engine running

However, when I push to register the same battery, it asks me to enter information from the battery top. It states there is a battery number and supplier number that must be entered. I did not have those in hand, but it gave the option to bypass. I do not know if anyone else got those prompts before the error messages, but I am going to try to find number indicated and enter them to see if that address the errors listed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

When you changed the battery did you unhook the ibs sensor bsd connector
and not plug it back in?

Don't know why you guys use these aftermarket scanners when you could
have BMW standard tools and Ista D or Bimmergeeks Pro tool which does
all this stuff and more.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctuna; 12-21-2021 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #17
ATLBMW2021
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i; 2013 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
When you changed the battery did you unhook the ibs sensor bsd connector
and not plug it back in?

Don't know why you guys use these aftermarket scanners when you could
have BMW standard tools and Ista D or Bimmergeeks Pro tool which does
all this stuff and more.
To answer question 1, no, the IBS remained connected. Are you suggesting the IBS is the issue causing the registration to fail? Is the idea that you disconnect to register and then reconnect? Appreciate more information.

As for the second part, I had the scanner that works with many cars I have/had, so unless I need to buy a new one, I would rather save the money.

On a related note, I was curious if anyone understood the logic of registration. My understanding for the registration is that the battery needs to be registered so the car knows a new fully charged battery is there and it does not overcharge since it adapts to the charge of the battery as it wears down. If it can sense the need for more charging with an old battery, why does it not sense a new fully charged battery. Perhaps there is a different reason or the system does not work exactly as described here so maybe it is my lack of understanding, but logically, if there is a sensor that knows optimal charge, it should adjust to the new battery.

Last edited by ATLBMW2021; 12-22-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I am suggesting you check that the blue connector that comes off
the IBS which is the BSD line may be unplugged.

Maybe you didn't unplug, when you move the Negative terminal (to change the battery)
around it may have come unplugged .

The registration is a bunch of Voodoo but your understanding of how it's explained if correct.
If you change the amp hours and or battery type then you need a different charging profile
for the car is the explanation. Some people debate if the car will adapt on its own if the same
battery goes in . It can read the battery at all if the bsd line is broken though in which case
it's suppose to fall back to some kind of default profile.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-22-2021 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #19
mm899
Rep

Cable looks good but the registration does not work

So, I did check all of the cable around the IBS sensor, couldn't see any issues. I actually bought a carly scanner and tried registering as well but just got a 'Battery was not registered successfully' note.

My battery regulator in my alternator seems to be messed up as well. I get ABS,traction control, brake light and my wiper turn on automatically. I can't get it to turn off. I am hoping it is the battery regulator in my alternator since, the battery charges when I start my car.

But this along with the unsuccessful battery registration has been driving me insane.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #20
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

the voltage regulator is what is in the alternator.
It regulates the running voltage for the electronics about 14 volt plus
or minus .5 volts
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #21
mm899
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
the voltage regulator is what is in the alternator.
It regulates the running voltage for the electronics about 14 volt plus
or minus .5 volts
Sorry i meant to say the voltage regulator
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 11:13 AM   #22
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBMW2021 View Post
... I was curious if anyone understood the logic of registration... if there is a sensor that knows optimal charge, it should adjust to the new battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm899 View Post
My battery regulator in my alternator seems to be messed up as well. I get ABS,traction control, brake light and my wiper turn on automatically. I can't get it to turn off. I am hoping it is the battery regulator in my alternator since, the battery charges when I start my car...
See below for THREE (3) separate Functions related to what is commonly MIS-referred to as "Battery Registration".

As for "Light Show" on Instrument Cluster and Wipers "Self-activating", almost certainly, you have an "Over-voltage" situation with engine running and alternator charging. If NOT corrected, you will damage your new battery, and you risk damaging Control Modules. The strange Warning Lights and Wiper activation are due to "Scrambled" Bus signals as a result of Over-voltage.

If you have a Scan Tool, or better yet, INPA or ISTA, that can read "Freeze Frame Data" related to Fault Codes, that would show system Voltage at the moment the Fault Code (particularly a communication fault) was saved in Module Fault Memory.

If your Scan Tool does NOT have that capability, a simple, cheap ($7 @ HFT/ $10 @ Amazon) can read system voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals under the Hood with motor running. You can also use "Hidden Menu 9.00" to view System Voltage on your Instrument Cluster, following procedure described:
https://www.carsaddiction.com/articl...er-hidden-menu

My SWAG is that, at least when Light Show begins on Instrument Cluster, you will see voltage in the 16V to 17V range (Motor Running). HOPEFULLY, you can correct that by simply replacing the Voltage Regulator on the rear of your Alternator ($33), instead of your entire Alternator ($300+), assuming you have stock Bosch 180-Amp Alternator:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BS-12317561939

As for "Battery Registration", here are the three things you CAN change using BMW Standard Tools, related to installation of a REPLACEMENT BATTERY:
1) "Batterietausch Registrien" = Register Replacement Battery: THAT can be done using INPA, ISTA, or many "Scan Tools". Using INPA, the Menu Sequence is: INPA > DME > F5 Status > F5 PM > F5 Register Replacement Battery. It SIMPLY enters the Mileage (NOT date) in km, as shown on Odometer, at the instant the button is pushed to "Register" the battery.
That is simply an Informational/ Text field that displays that mileage so a Tech can quickly see at what mileage/km battery was replaced (assuming "registration" done), without taking things apart in trunk to see stamp on battery that shows the date. It has NOTHING to do with HOW your new battery is charged. Totally INFORMATIONAL. HOWEVER, you should save the "Histogram" data described below BEFORE you "Register" replacement battery, as some devices/ software MAY reset Histogram as well as recording Odometer reading, and you should understand exactly what YOUR tool/software does (and let us know ;-).

2) Histogram Reset: This clears the Histogram. Using INPA: INPA > F5 > F5 > F6 Reset Histogram. The Histogram is a record of Battery State of Charge (SoC) and State of Health (SoH). The Last 5 Days of that Data are shown in "PM Infofeld 2" in the PM (Power Management) section of INPA > F5 Status > F5 Power Management.
The data changes every day, with "5 Tagen" (5 Days Ago) being deleted and New Current Value being added. So the Histogram is constantly being "Updated". There is also Historical data in "PM Infofeld 1" related to Hours at a certain % of total charge, and Minutes at a certain Battery Temp. That data is gathered by the IBS which measures Battery Voltage, and Battery Temperature.
What is IMPORTANT to remember is that if you do NOT do anything with INPA or a Scan Tool, to Reset Histogram, after 5 days, the data used to determine charging profile is over-written anyway, and you are where you would have been had you Reset Histogram. EXCEPT: you are now adding historical data for the new battery to that stored for the OLD battery, and at least SOME of the functionality of "PM Infofeld 1" is lost as a historical reference. Since you didn't know that existed or how to use it, NO LOSS

3) Battery Capacity: THIS is the one that matters -- IF you changed the Battery TYPE between FLA vs. AGM, OR you changed the Battery Capacity by 10 Ah (Amp-hours). IF you replaced the old battery with one of same type and within ~ 5 Ah the same Capacity, then NO change in "Battery Capacity" setting is needed.
Potential Problem: prior owner or tech may have replaced factory battery with one of different Type/Capacity and NOT changed the Capacity Setting. You CAN use INPA (or ISTA) to read current Battery Capacity Setting: INPA > DME > F5 > F5 > F3 PM Infofield 2 (Battery capacity in Ah).
INPA or ISTA+ CANNOT change the Battery Capacity Setting saved in the CAS Module. You CAN use NCS in BMW Standard Tools to do that. I have NO IDEA what Carly, Foxwell, or other Scan Tools can do. Consult your Documentation and/or product support.
George
Appreciate 0