THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Adaptive Headlights Malfunction

12-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Is last night I was taking a normally travelled route when I got an adaptive headlight malfunction and my lights were stuck angled to the right as I had been making a right turn and then merging to the left. It was a little bumpy in that section so that may have been a contributing factor. Never happened before. I'm sure there is some sort of lithium grease that is on the housing motor gears to keep the movement smooth. Maybe it's time to investigate a reapplication.

I turned the car off completely and then back on. The lamps did the normal leveling process and were normal after.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Is last night I was taking a normally travelled route when I got an adaptive headlight malfunction and my lights were stuck angled to the right as I had been making a right turn and then merging to the left. It was a little bumpy in that section so that may have been a contributing factor. Never happened before. I'm sure there is some sort of lithium grease that is on the housing motor gears to keep the movement smooth. Maybe it's time to investigate a reapplication.

I turned the car off completely and then back on. The lamps did the normal leveling process and were normal after.
Might be the leveling sensor rod on the left control arm.... that moves up and down when the wheel goes up and down...has a weird bracket... check all looks tight
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post

Might be the leveling sensor rod on the left control arm.... that moves up and down when the wheel goes up and down...has a weird bracket... check all looks tight
Thanks. I will do some checking but I'm thinking it may be electronic because it reset when I turned it off and on. Some sort of adaptive headlight LIMP mode maybe.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

So this happens pretty much anytime that the headlights are aimed all the way to the right. The last time it happened was when I was stationary last night while waiting to turn right. It happens pretty much every time. A power reset by turning the car off and back on is the temp fix. The headlights do the level adjustment when they turn on and it puts them back to center again. I've not had it happen again after it's been reset on one trip so far. Anyone else have this happen?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

The Ride height sensor on the Control arm wont have anything to do with the headlamps turning side to side as that only controls the headlamp movement up and down.
The headlamps will have a Stepper motor on the bottom side of the headlamps that control the side to side movement. These are a common problem and are usually forgot from body shops during their repairs from accident vehicles. particularly see it happen more in colder weather here in Canada but have seen it happen in the summer as well.
These stepper motors are controlled by the steering angle sensor, DSC module on the bus network. That being said, it can be an electrically issue but my guess is the actual motor is failing or the small control unit thats apart of the motor is failing.

I would book an appointment and have the dealer look at it, or your local shop that you trust. The fault code may not be active but should at least be stored and have a history of it coming up.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

@Taunto Thank you for the info. I haven't taken the headlight out as of yet. I've narrowed it down to the passenger side getting stuck when it moves all the way to the right limit. I will most likely source my own parts and fix it myself as I'm a mechanic and I'm WAY past warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

you are welcome to fix it yourself but the new stepper motor module will require programming/encoding. so unless you have access to BMW ISTAP programming even when you install them it will most likely not work 100% and may even still have a control message on.
the dealer shouldn't charge you more than 1.5hrs for programming. just make sure if you have any flash tune installed it will re write the DME and require for it to be unlocked again if I'm not mistaken. if you have a jb4 just put it into the stock map and you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #8
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
you are welcome to fix it yourself but the new stepper motor module will require programming/encoding. so unless you have access to BMW ISTAP programming even when you install them it will most likely not work 100% and may even still have a control message on.
the dealer shouldn't charge you more than 1.5hrs for programming. just make sure if you have any flash tune installed it will re write the DME and require for it to be unlocked again if I'm not mistaken. if you have a jb4 just put it into the stock map and you should be good.
I have the Stage 1 BMS so I will just take it off. As far as the coding, I have an Indie that I will use.
Appreciate 0