E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > No Cobb Tuning for 2013 335i e93?

11-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
yay_sports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport 335i E93

No Cobb Tuning for 2013 335i e93?

Hi All, newcomer in the world of modifications. I have had my 2013 335i e93 for a year now and looking to make some modifications. I've searched up and down these forums and haven't been able to find an answer to my question so I hope I can find someone with some prior experience to help me out. I am interested in the Cobb Accessport, primarily for ease of installation and use. However, it seems like it isn't compatible with the 2013 335i e93?

If this is the case, should I just go with JB4? Installation would be a major pain for me so I was hoping to get something easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Boo$ted_in_ri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yay_sports View Post
Hi All, newcomer in the world of modifications. I have had my 2013 335i e93 for a year now and looking to make some modifications. I've searched up and down these forums and haven't been able to find an answer to my question so I hope I can find someone with some prior experience to help me out. I am interested in the Cobb Accessport, primarily for ease of installation and use. However, it seems like it isn't compatible with the 2013 335i e93?

If this is the case, should I just go with JB4? Installation would be a major pain for me so I was hoping to get something easier.
As far as I know cobb isn’t really up to speed with bmw anymore. Everyone uses bootmod3, mhd or jb4. I use mhd and it’s insanly easy to get going. When I had jb4 that was also and easy install.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Cobb does not support Late E-Series (2012+). A JB4 would be the easiest option (N55 installation is much easier than N54). Any flash tune (ie MHD) except for Dinan will require you to pull the DME out of the car for an initial unlock.
      11-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
erttuli
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego 335i

MHD is by far the easiest imo. You need a dcan cable with usb otg and an Android phone or tablet. No need to mess with the DME. Battery charger also needed for initial long flash.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erttuli View Post
MHD is by far the easiest imo. You need a dcan cable with usb otg and an Android phone or tablet. No need to mess with the DME. Battery charger also needed for initial long flash.
2012+ models (like mine) require an initial bench flash before the car will accept flashes via the OBD2 port.
      11-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
erttuli
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
2012+ models (like mine) require an initial bench flash before the car will accept flashes via the OBD2 port.
I see. That sucks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
yay_sports
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the quick replies everyone. I know work is needed for JB4 so I'm going to look into the other options and see which is more realistic for my implementation. I am new to this so I am going to have some reading to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I appreciate the quick replies everyone. I know work is needed for JB4 so I'm going to look into the other options and see which is more realistic for my implementation. I am new to this so I am going to have some reading to do.
Depends on what your goals are. Is this your DD? JB4 will be the easiest way for you to add power, but a flash tune is MUCH smoother if you don't drive at WOT all the time. I went ahead and got my DME unlocked. It was a major PITA, but was well worth it.
      11-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
yay_sports
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what your goals are. Is this your DD? JB4 will be the easiest way for you to add power, but a flash tune is MUCH smoother if you don't drive at WOT all the time. I went ahead and got my DME unlocked. It was a major PITA, but was well worth it.
Yeah, this is my DD. I don't typically drive WOT and I don't plan to. This is just something I'd like to have for when I'd like to push my car a little further. Moreso like to do it for the fun/experience.

How do I get my DME unlocked? The challenge that I have is that I am in Cali so I am going to need find someone that would be willing to help me install JB4 or learn how to do it myself, which I'm not entirely sure if I'm comfortable with yet. That's why I'm looking into MHD now.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, this is my DD. I don't typically drive WOT and I don't plan to. This is just something I'd like to have for when I'd like to push my car a little further. Moreso like to do it for the fun/experience.

How do I get my DME unlocked? The challenge that I have is that I am in Cali so I am going to need find someone that would be willing to help me install JB4 or learn how to do it myself, which I'm not entirely sure if I'm comfortable with yet. That's why I'm looking into MHD now.
I? would definitely go with MHD then (I'm sure many others would agree with me). N54 Exclusive in Palo Alto can unlock your DME.
http://mhdtuning.com/partners/

The unlock should run you around $500-$600.

After the unlock you'll need an Android tablet, K-DCAN, and OTG cable.
      11-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #11
yay_sports
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I? would definitely go with MHD then (I'm sure many others would agree with me). N54 Exclusive in Palo Alto can unlock your DME.

That's right in my neighborhood but damn that's a pricey unlock for something that should be pretty straightforward
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

That's right in my neighborhood but damn that's a pricey unlock for something that should be pretty straightforward
You're paying for the labor (DME is located under the intake manifold) and the KTAG master tool which is quite pricy for a business, so that is where the cost comes from.