THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Bumper damage

11-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

So someone backed into me and took off while I was in a store... no note or anything.

Hoping I don't need a new bumper but any idea how to get the headlight to align with the bumper?

If you see the pictures there is this gap i guess when the bumper got pushed in.

Going to get a quote for a paint job but not sure if they will be able to align the headlight, think it needs to snap in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I guess they can manipulate bumper once they unfasten it and then remount it - may even use heat to get back into shape.

Did you try any polish to get scratch out?

What kind of dash cam u going to buy ?
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      11-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I guess they can manipulate bumper once they unfasten it and then remount it - may even use heat to get back into shape.

Did you try any polish to get scratch out?

What kind of dash cam u going to buy ?

The round scratch is deep I can feel the rough plastic so don't think polish will help with that. Really hoping they can align the headlight and reflector as that's also loose.

Going to install a dashcam ASAP any suggestions on one that would have worked in this instance? Where the car was parked and off?

Probably gonna take the hit and get it fixed without involving my insurance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

my 235 the dash cam ran for about 20-minutes when car turned off - the electrical system still powering the power outlet 4 that amount of time.

They also make external batteries that charge through cars power outlet when driving and then power dash cam - I think for 6 hours.

And you can hard wire to car.

And some dash cams use batteries that hold a charge and some use capacitators that handle solar heat but lack plug less capability.

Chk out the VortexRadar site for more info. I had a cheap $60 dash cam that broke after a few months though it took great video, I'm thinking about getting a Garnin as my next dash cam.

I always park my 235 alone where no other cars park or if that's not available I won't go.
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      11-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
any idea how to get the headlight to align with the bumper?
I had the same thing happen to my car, except even worse than this. The headlight is mounted to a bracket underneath it. In my case the bracket under the headlight bent (I bet the same happened in your case). In order to fix it you need to remove the bumper, then remove the headlight, and grab some pliers and bend the bracket back into place. A word of caution though that's the easy part.... the bolt that holds it to the bracket is near impossible to work on. There is literally no room to work in, and there is a captive nut that threads onto the bolt that is counter-threaded (from what I remember), turns a 30 minute job into a hour+ long job filled with swearing and hating on the engineers who designed the bracket, unless you've got a massive extension for your ratchet and an extra set of hands. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      11-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingBlue View Post
Quote:
any idea how to get the headlight to align with the bumper?
I had the same thing happen to my car, except even worse than this. The headlight is mounted to a bracket underneath it. In my case the bracket under the headlight bent (I bet the same happened in your case). In order to fix it you need to remove the bumper, then remove the headlight, and grab some pliers and bend the bracket back into place. A word of caution though that's the easy part.... the bolt that holds it to the bracket is near impossible to work on. There is literally no room to work in, and there is a captive nut that threads onto the bolt that is counter-threaded (from what I remember), turns a 30 minute job into a hour+ long job filled with swearing and hating on the engineers who designed the bracket, unless you've got a massive extension for your ratchet and an extra set of hands. Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up! Gonna share this with the body shop. Were you eventually able to get it into place? My reflector is also bent in guessing a clip broke.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! Gonna share this with the body shop. Were you eventually able to get it into place? My reflector is also bent in guessing a clip broke.
Yeah I was eventually able to get the bolt in and everything tightened down but it was a massive pain. After the bracket was bent back everything aligned perfectly and I haven't had any issues since.
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50