BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i

Decision time on the M Sport Package

Hi

I ordered the X3 30i X line - Sapphire, Black, Ultimate Package, Piano Black Trim. It is scheduled for production on Dec 4th so I still have a small window to change the order.

I am considering the M Sport Package but still on the fence, I think I like the aesthetics of it better and it would allow me to change the colour to Carbon Black which is not available with the X line (at least in Canada).

It also adds adaptive suspension - Does that make any difference? Would that feature sway you in a decision?

I would have a choice of 19 inch rims (all season) or 20/21 inch rims (performance tires). I live in Toronto which is notorious for pot holes and concerned about rim damage. Drive comfort is also a consideration. Do you think the 20 inch rims with performance tires would have a far greater chance of damage compared to the 19 inch with all season's. In terms of ride comfort - any huge difference between the 2 (19 inch all season vs 20 inch performance tire) Regardless - I will be going with 18 inch rims for winter tires. All these tires would be run flats.

Appreciate any input on this.

Thank you!
Dean
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean285 View Post
Hi

I ordered the X3 30i X line - Sapphire, Black, Ultimate Package, Piano Black Trim. It is scheduled for production on Dec 4th so I still have a small window to change the order.

I am considering the M Sport Package but still on the fence, I think I like the aesthetics of it better and it would allow me to change the colour to Carbon Black which is not available with the X line (at least in Canada).

It also adds adaptive suspension - Does that make any difference? Would that feature sway you in a decision?

I would have a choice of 19 inch rims (all season) or 20/21 inch rims (performance tires). I live in Toronto which is notorious for pot holes and concerned about rim damage. Drive comfort is also a consideration. Do you think the 20 inch rims with performance tires would have a far greater chance of damage compared to the 19 inch with all season's. In terms of ride comfort - any huge difference between the 2 (19 inch all season vs 20 inch performance tire) Regardless - I will be going with 18 inch rims for winter tires. All these tires would be run flats.

Thank you!
Dean
All reviews I have see so far with 20s they consider the Ride harsh even in xline option. Stick to 19s if Ride is a big consideration
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Hi

Thank you!
Dean
with the money you're putting in, you're better off with an M40 with the premium plus package, you don't need anything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Quote:
Hi

Thank you!
Dean
with the money you're putting in, you're better off with an M40 with the premium plus package, you don't need anything else.
Thanks for your response - I thought of going that route. If I just go with the premium enhanced I'd be missing out on Harmon Kardon, ventilated seats, driver assistance, sensatec dash among other things. I currently have a 07 328i minimally optioned and excited about getting a bunch of new tech.

The pricing in Canada is very different. The base 30l comes in at 48k and the m40i at 61.5k - without any options, tax or freight/pdi. Adding the options I want to the m40i makes it cost prohibitive. Given a choice between performance and tech - I'd prefer tech as I don't think I need all that power.

Do you know if the adaptive functionality that seems to come with the m sport line have a noticeable effect?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Quote:
Hi

Thank you!
Dean
All reviews I have see so far with 20s they consider the Ride harsh even in xline option. Stick to 19s if Ride is a big consideration
Thanks - that makes the choice a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I haven't studied the tiers and options in Canada but you can spec dynamic dampers in the US xLine. As it relates to 30i xLine and M Sport I think the visual differences are a personal preference. I have a 30i xLine up to the US spec Exec pack and I like the features. I do agree with you that carbon black is really nice paint choice on the M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #7
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I haven't seen it described as harsh, do you have links?

The latest one from Carfection tested it in a 3rd world country on roads that most drivers will never encounter, but he still stated:

"the compromise of it being flatter through a fast corner but not necessarily as soft on the buttocks on the straights is a compromise I can live with."
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Covfefe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6mt

One thing I see you want to spec is the ventilated seats. Before you order, you should know that ventilated seats are the "comfort" seats. The comfort seats have little to no bolstering and you will slide all over the seat in the bends. I'd highly recommend that you sit in the comfort seats and the sport seats so you can feel the difference. The sport seats are amazing, they are just as good as the ones in my sport package 135i.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I haven't seen it described as harsh, do you have links?

The latest one from Carfection tested it in a 3rd world country on roads that most drivers will never encounter, but he still stated:

"the compromise of it being flatter through a fast corner but not necessarily as soft on the buttocks on the straights is a compromise I can live with."
I had posted the car advice Australia review
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I had posted the car advice Australia review
In the first Car Advice review he says the ride is sublime with the dynamic dampers and it borders on being the benchmark up there with the Q5.

In the second Car Advice review the reviewer states it's not that great when exploring outside of the cities in Australia. It's quite firm due to the sportier nature and he recommends the dynamic damper package and perhaps dropping to the 19" wheels. I'd think that if you're planning on using it to explore the Australian outback, there are probably other vehicles you'd want to look at first.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      11-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
One thing I see you want to spec is the ventilated seats. Before you order, you should know that ventilated seats are the "comfort" seats. The comfort seats have little to no bolstering and you will slide all over the seat in the bends. I'd highly recommend that you sit in the comfort seats and the sport seats so you can feel the difference. The sport seats are amazing, they are just as good as the ones in my sport package 135i.
Just to offer another perspective, although we have enjoyed the M Sport seats in our 2015 LCI X3 35i, living in the South we really appreciate the ventilated seats we ordered in our G01 M40i and there is a degree of side support (photos attached). We find they provide all the support we need and despite some high-speed Interstate travels through winding steep on- and off-ramps, we have yet to slide as suggested above. No doubt we would be more snug in our Sports seats, but we'd also arrive at our destination with wet backsides which is no longer an issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I think I'll stay with my original config which is a 30i X line, ultimate package, piano black trim, black sapphire, black vernasca leather. The 30i here comes with 21 inch rims/perf tires at no additional cost - I went with the 19 inch all season instead - don't want to deal with crazy prices for tire replacement or chance damaged rims due to pot holes. I've ordered 18 inch winter tires and rims from a tire place here. So much cheaper than BMW and the same Pirelli run flats that BMW was offering.

It's scheduled for production on Dec 4th. Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #13
75fusca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input on this. I think I'll stay with my original config which is a 30i X line, ultimate package, piano black trim, black sapphire, black vernasca leather. The 30i here comes with 21 inch rims/perf tires at no additional cost - I went with the 19 inch all season instead - don't want to deal with crazy prices for tire replacement or chance damaged rims due to pot holes. I've ordered 18 inch winter tires and rims from a tire place here. So much cheaper than BMW and the same Pirelli run flats that BMW was offering.

It's scheduled for production on Dec 4th. Can't wait!!
I'm about to place my order and have the same concerns as you in terms of ride comfort. The M30i Canadian ordering guide has the option "233 - Dynamic Damper Control" as part of the ZKD - M Sport Plus Package. No mention in the ordering guide about "Adaptive M Suspension"...

I assume that by paying the $400 Special Order price, you could get the Dynamic Damper Control added to the 30i. From previous posts, Dynamic Damper Control seems to be worth having. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't seem to know much about this, suggesting "standard suspension" may be the best way to go.
      12-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75fusca View Post
I'm about to place my order and have the same concerns as you in terms of ride comfort. The M30i Canadian ordering guide has the option "233 - Dynamic Damper Control" as part of the ZKD - M Sport Plus Package. No mention in the ordering guide about "Adaptive M Suspension"...

I assume that by paying the $400 Special Order price, you could get the Dynamic Damper Control added to the 30i. From previous posts, Dynamic Damper Control seems to be worth having. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't seem to know much about this, suggesting "standard suspension" may be the best way to go.
If it is like in the US, the 233 DDC is only an option for the 30i and the "Adaptive M Suspension" (2VF) is only an option on the M40i.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
75fusca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
If it is like in the US, the 233 DDC is only an option for the 30i and the "Adaptive M Suspension" (2VF) is only an option on the M40i.
Thank you bwcooper, and would you know which of these 2 gives a softer ride?
      12-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #16
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75fusca View Post
Thank you bwcooper, and would you know which of these 2 gives a softer ride?
I'd imagine the ability to enable comfort mode on the dynamic dampers probably gives you the softest ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #17
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
I'd imagine the ability to enable comfort mode on the dynamic dampers probably gives you the softest ride.
You basically do the same with the Adaptive M Suspension, so my guess is that they'd be equivalent. More depends on whether you want 30i or M40i.

Last edited by bwcooper; 12-04-2017 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #18
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

[QUOTE=dean285;22472521 I've ordered 18 inch winter tires and rims from a tire place here. So much cheaper than BMW and the same Pirelli run flats that BMW was offering.
![/QUOTE]

Which 18” rims did you order for the winter tires? Being in Canada I imagine you have to look at them 6 months out of the year. We are always driving between MN & upper MI so have similar winter seasons (although things are changing fairly rapidly).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #19
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
You basically do the same with the Adaptive M Suspension, so my guess is that they'd be equivalent. More depends on whether you want 30i of M40i.
Aren't the adaptive dampers in addition to the dynamics where there's a 4th button that adapts between comfort and sport depending on conditions and driving habits?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=Keweenawbee;22496087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean285;22472521 I've ordered 18 inch winter tires and rims from a tire place here. So much cheaper than BMW and the same Pirelli run flats that BMW was offering.
![/QUOTE

Which 18” rims did you order for the winter tires? Being in Canada I imagine you have to look at them 6 months out of the year. We are always driving between MN & upper MI so have similar winter seasons (although things are changing fairly rapidly).
Toronto doesn't usually get a lot of snow. I would typically put on winter tires late Nov/early Dec to March/early April. So about 4 months or so.

I went with Pirelli SOTTOZERO 3 225/60R18 run flats.

Have no idea who manufactures the rims but can try to find out. I doubt they are OEM - pretty certain they are after market. Took the same approach with my 07 328i and didn't have any issues. - getting it from a well known tire place in Toronto.

Image without the bmw badge is the 18 inch winter rim. The other image is the 19 inch rim (non winter use) that comes with my X3
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
      12-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
Aren't the adaptive dampers in addition to the dynamics where there's a 4th button that adapts between comfort and sport depending on conditions and driving habits?
Yes, but it also is dynamically sensing road conditions, which is what I thought DDC does. I could be wrong though. Stopped studying the DDC once I decided on the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Toronto doesn't usually get a lot of snow. I would typically put on winter tires late Nov/early Dec to March/early April. So about 4 months or so.

I went with Pirelli SOTTOZERO 3 225/60R18 run flats.

Have no idea who manufactures the rims but can try to find out. I doubt they are OEM - pretty certain they are after market. Took the same approach with my 07 328i and didn't have any issues. - getting it from a well known tire place in Toronto.

Image without the bmw badge is the 18 inch winter rim. The other image is the 19 inch rim (non winter use) that comes with my X3
Nice looking wheels dean285. Do you have a model number? I went with the 21" for summer and I already have a BMW 19" winter wheel/tire package, but those would be nice for a 3rd set someday. Maybe in 20".
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00