BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Track Pads Need to Warm Up to Bite and Work Well

11-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Track Pads Need to Warm Up to Bite and Work Well

IMHO:

In other threads, some of the members that live with track pads have not highlighted two concerns. The first is the wear on the rotors which has been mentioned. The second, which could potentially be much more costly, is track compound initial bite and friction when cold. When you just start driving, track pads still being cold often don't have bite and friction coefficient to stop the car at the rate the driver expects, and there can lie the (thud) problem. Generally, most track pads need to warm up to work well. This varies by pad, but it shouldn't be disregarded. Also, if you only use track pads, other drivers of the car may be caught out.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
IMHO:

In other threads, some of the members that live with track pads have not highlighted two concerns. The first is the wear on the rotors which has been mentioned. The second, which could potentially be much more costly, is track compound initial bite and friction when cold. When you just start driving, track pads still being cold often don't have bite and friction coefficient to stop the car at the rate the driver expects, and there can lie the (thud) problem. Generally, most track pads need to warm up to work well. This varies by pad, but it shouldn't be disregarded. Also, if you only use track pads, other drivers of the car may be caught out.
Is this just an FYI or something...? Yes, track pads have a different range of operating temperature than normal street pads. Yes, track pads are more abrasive on rotors than normal street pads. You shouldn't run track pads on the street if you have no plans of tracking the car...that's just a pointless waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
IMHO:

Is this just an FYI or something...? Yes, track pads have a different range of operating temperature than normal street pads. Yes, track pads are more abrasive on rotors than normal street pads. You shouldn't run track pads on the street if you have no plans of tracking the car...that's just a pointless waste of money.
Just information for those who do not have experience with harder compounds.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1736.00
      11-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
hexximus
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Thanks for posting! I totally use the forums for these tips ��
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Eve all....

I posted this in another thread..

Another option is to run a rotor friendly track pad.

I got sick of swapping out pads at the track especially when I had a couple students to worry about as well.

I've had outstanding results running these 3 pads both on the street and at HPDE's. (Not an M2) Previous M3 & Evo X

Raybestos ST43's

Carbotech 10's, or 12's

Porterfield R4's.

All three are acceptable pads for street use even in freezing temps.

All three will not eat rotors when cold (most track ready pads will destroy rotors until they heat up)

All three have excellent initial bite, have 1200+ degree heat tolerance, zero fade.

All three will dust a ton and squeal as you stop (runout) unless they're hot.

Right now my go to pad is the Carbotech 12's.

Their was a split within Carbotech and a additional brand G-Loc offers similar options.

HTH,
HAZMAT
2004 Mazda Rev It Up Finalist
2002-Present HPDE Instructor
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50