BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Build Delayed to December - Will it add Lane Change Assistant?

Our week 47 (this week) build seems to have been delayed. It was ordered end of October, but the requested build up until today has been week 47. BMW Genius just informed me that it's been pushed to week 49, which is the first week of December.

Since it's now a December build, is there any possibility that BMW may add Lane Change Assistant to the vehicle since we ordered it with Driving Assistant Plus? The Driving Assistant Plus video on BMW's YouTube channel shows Lane Change Assistant as coming in December, however nobody is sure when it's coming...or if it's even coming for U.S. builds.

Anyone have any insight?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have a week 49 build and was assured that Lane Change Assistant would be part of the build.
However I was also assured that:
  • I would have the 3AC electrically operated tow hook
  • That the foot operated tailgate would work with the tow hook
  • That the steering wheel would be M Sport
  • That the merino leather would be "extended"

Then we have heard that some cars specified with M adaptive suspension were build without it.

What I do know for sure is that BMW is having issues with this launch.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

It's hard to know what features will make it into which countries. My Canadian rep said this feature was not coming to Canada. Only time will tell it seems.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmusic View Post
It's hard to know what features will make it into which countries. My Canadian rep said this feature was not coming to Canada. Only time will tell it seems.
I agree. My Canadian rep confirmed it with BMW Canada but the track history there has not been good. I checked the BMW Canada website and the video that they are running still says that it is there.

The electric rear seats have apparently been cancelled too.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I have a week 49 build and was assured that Lane Change Assistant would be part of the build.

Then we have heard that some cars specified with M adaptive suspension were build without it.

That's like the G01 wishlist right there

If you get your dealer to give you your Vehicle Inquiry Report, you can check the M-sport steering wheel (code 755) on the option list, right now.
Appreciate 1
Slalom506.50
      11-23-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That's like the G01 wishlist right there

If you get your dealer to give you your Vehicle Inquiry Report, you can check the M-sport steering wheel (code 755) on the option list, right now.
M-Sport is 710
Sport is 255
Appreciate 1
SamS865.50
      11-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post

I can confirm that my 10/2017 30i with the dynamic handling package was built without dynamic dampers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
Covfefe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
I can confirm that my 10/2017 30i with the dynamic handling package was built without dynamic dampers
Wow, that's like the whole point of DHP. Our build only has DDC, not the full DHP, so I hope they don't screw it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Wow, that's like the whole point of DHP. Our build only has DDC, not the full DHP, so I hope they don't screw it up.
Is the M adaptive suspension the same as DHP in F25 models? I went thru the build process online and couldn't find DHP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Option ZDH the Dynamic Handling Package includes option 223 Dynamic Damper Control, 2NH M Sport Brakes and 2VL Variable sport steering. 2VG Performance control is added with option 223.

If you ordered ZDH and didn't get 223, you need to talk to your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Agree. I was frustrated but I didn't want to wait another 5 weeks to rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Is the M adaptive suspension the same as DHP in F25 models? I went thru the build process online and couldn't find DHP.
DHP is only an option for the 30i. It isn't 100% clear, but I assume that is because the features are standard on the M40i. The M adaptive suspension is only available on the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
DHP is only an option for the 30i. It isn't 100% clear, but I assume that is because the features are standard on the M40i. The M adaptive suspension is only available on the M40i.
Yes your right about it being an option on the 30i. I just went thru a build and it was there as an option. I thought I saw a video that showed a 4th button labelled 'Adaptive' and it explained that the system learns your driving habits and adjusts the ride. It would be great if the DHP is standard on the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes your right about it being an option on the 30i. I just went thru a build and it was there as an option. I thought I saw a video that showed a 4th button labelled 'Adaptive' and it explained that the system learns your driving habits and adjusts the ride. It would be great if the DHP is standard on the M40i.
Yes, I have the Adaptive M Suspension in my M40i and I do have the fourth button labelled 'Adaptive'. It overrides the selection of Sport/Comfort/EcoPro.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I have the Adaptive M Suspension in my M40i and I do have the fourth button labelled 'Adaptive'. It overrides the selection of Sport/Comfort/EcoPro.
Can you explain what the ride is like when your in adaptive mode. If you had the F25 before with DHP is the ride similar?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #16
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain what the ride is like when your in adaptive mode. If you had the F25 before with DHP is the ride similar?
My understanding is that getting the M Adaptive Suspension actually changes the chassis to one that can change its settings depending on road conditions and driving style. It is supposed to give it a more comfort oriented ride if roads are bumpy. Not sure exactly what elements of my driving style influences it, but I assume it has to do with how fast I am taking curves, etc. where it would switch to a firmer suspension.

What was a bit surprising to me was that it overrides the Sport/Comfort/EcoPro selections, which control the way the transmission shifts. Presumably, I keep the suspension in a firmer mode if I pick Sport or Sport Plus (one button that toggles between the two) and a more balanced suspension in the others. Now that I've played with it, I guess it makes more sense this way, though.

So far, I do tend to like the Adaptive mode the best (only wish the car would not always default to Comfort when I start it--can maybe have that changed via coding??) since I normally like the more comfortable ride, but when I need a bit of a sportier drive, like if I am taking a curve that I want to take a bit faster or if accelerating for some reason, it more quickly responds and I don't have to actually switch the mode via the buttons. I will sometimes switch to EcoPro if I get behind a slow driver (may as well at that point) or to Sport mode if the road is clear and my wife isn't in the car!! Biggest concern with the Sport mode is that it makes it way too easy to get car well above 80 on my 55 mph limited back road (which the local cops love to patrol).

Can't compare to the F25, as this is my first BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone else that has a week 49 or later build now, has your dealer said if your vehicle will make it to them before Christmas?

We're really hoping the car still gets here by Christmas. If we were going to have to wait this long, we may as well have gotten a Volvo with overseas delivery for the holiday season! I know, I'm being impatient.... :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
InternetsTad
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
For anyone else that has a week 49 or later build now, has your dealer said if your vehicle will make it to them before Christmas?

We're really hoping the car still gets here by Christmas. If we were going to have to wait this long, we may as well have gotten a Volvo with overseas delivery for the holiday season! I know, I'm being impatient.... :-)
We placed an order for a new X3 back a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving with our sales guy promising us delivery before the end of the year. He told us it would go into production the week of Thanksgiving (not sure if that's a thing at all), and then we were told it was going into production this week, and just this morning I called the Genius number and was finally told it was scheduled for week 49 - next week.

The last time I talked to the sales guy - last week, when he told me the car was going into production today - he said the X3 would still be here by December.

I feel your frustration as well, and I also feel like I've been a bit mislead since he would have known the entire time as to when the car would be scheduled for production, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetsTad View Post
We placed an order for a new X3 back a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving with our sales guy promising us delivery before the end of the year. He told us it would go into production the week of Thanksgiving (not sure if that's a thing at all), and then we were told it was going into production this week, and just this morning I called the Genius number and was finally told it was scheduled for week 49 - next week.

The last time I talked to the sales guy - last week, when he told me the car was going into production today - he said the X3 would still be here by December.

I feel your frustration as well, and I also feel like I've been a bit mislead since he would have known the entire time as to when the car would be scheduled for production, right?
I'm not sure that's true. Production shifts over time, sometimes they get late, sometimes they get ahead. I was calling the 800 number daily and the dates would change occasionally.

Where you're west coast it might be tight by the end of the year. Based on my build you can figure 5 days just to get on a train, 10-12 days to get to the VPC on the train, then another 7 or so to get processed and to your dealer. My car finished production Nov 10th and is going to be delivered to the dealer today. Hopefully you don't get caught in a holiday delay, you should be able to get it by the end of the year if all goes just right.

It seems those who have their cars trucked in the east cut off about 7-10 days.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #20
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post

A few years back I had a December 4 production X5 make it to Canada, just before Christmas. Unfortunately some dealer installed options delayed delivery until the New Year. Since Texas is closer to SC that I am, I think that you should have delivery by Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is that getting the M Adaptive Suspension actually changes the chassis to one that can change its settings depending on road conditions and driving style. It is supposed to give it a more comfort oriented ride if roads are bumpy. Not sure exactly what elements of my driving style influences it, but I assume it has to do with how fast I am taking curves, etc. where it would switch to a firmer suspension.

What was a bit surprising to me was that it overrides the Sport/Comfort/EcoPro selections, which control the way the transmission shifts. Presumably, I keep the suspension in a firmer mode if I pick Sport or Sport Plus (one button that toggles between the two) and a more balanced suspension in the others. Now that I've played with it, I guess it makes more sense this way, though.

So far, I do tend to like the Adaptive mode the best (only wish the car would not always default to Comfort when I start it--can maybe have that changed via coding??) since I normally like the more comfortable ride, but when I need a bit of a sportier drive, like if I am taking a curve that I want to take a bit faster or if accelerating for some reason, it more quickly responds and I don't have to actually switch the mode via the buttons. I will sometimes switch to EcoPro if I get behind a slow driver (may as well at that point) or to Sport mode if the road is clear and my wife isn't in the car!! Biggest concern with the Sport mode is that it makes it way too easy to get car well above 80 on my 55 mph limited back road (which the local cops love to patrol).

Can't compare to the F25, as this is my first BMW.
Thanks for the info. on my 2012 35i the DHP makes the ride less jittery and it probably works across all modes. Seems like the adaptive mode does that as well as incorporates the different modes depending on how your driving. I guess it still has electronic dampers for that less jittery ride. It seems for $700 it is worth getting.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #22
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate all the feedback! One thing I think is also interesting is how widely the shipping/transit times are based on who you talk to and what day. Whether it's the sales professional or several people at BMW Genius, I've had shipping/transit times quoted as low as 5 days and as long as 3 weeks to Texas. Oh well...back to waiting (somewhat) patiently.
Appreciate 0