F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Possible move to Utah
proTUNING Freaks

11-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Possible move to Utah

Hi all. I am currently living in Maryland but interviewing for a job in Ogden, UT. Liking it out here so far but as part of the whole decision making process, I have a few car related questions. There are MANY other factors going into my decision but this is one ?

1. Gas quality - I am having a difficult time finding 93 octane gas out here. I did a cursory google search and it appears the elevation decreases risk of predetonation so gas tends to be lower octane however I still worry about running a tuned car on 91

2. Available shops - have you guys found good BMW indy mechanics, detailers, expel installers, tinters, etc in the SLC or Ogden area?

3. Winter driving - I plan to put winter tires on my car during the winter if I move out here (xdrive 328 and eventually m2) but just wondering if the snow and amount of snow significantly takes away from the time you can enjoy driving in a year

4. Fun roads - this is answered. Took a drive in a rental beater yesterday around a bunch of twisty turny mountain roads and was wishing I had my car

Thanks ahead of time. If there's anything else I forgot to ask that you think I should know, please let me know!
      12-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #2
RobTeazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i xdrive

Ogden huh, will you be at Hill AFB? My time in the AF is how I wound up in Northern Utah.

1) The highest Octane fuel you're going to find out here is 91. I go to Costco, since it is still Top Tier, but the parking lot at the Ogden/Riverdale one is a complete mess. I prefer Shell, but those are few and far between.

2) SLC has its share of indy shops. I haven't been to one there since I had my M3. I have a buddy who used to own an indy shop in Layton, but he has since closed it and moved to Audi of SLC. Makes and Models is a local favorite in Layton, and you can always check out some exotics while you're there.

3) Winter driving isn't too bad if you have snow tires, and you're experienced at driving in snow. There are usually one or two days each winter when snow gets pretty deep on the roads and people wind up in ditches. Mountain roads can be a little treacherous, if you're sticking with rear drive, I would try to avoid them.

4) Mountain roads are the best part of Utah! If you're in Ogden I am sure you will spend plenty of time up at Pineview Reservoir, all of the roads leading there are a blast. Sardine Canyon from Logan to Bear Lake is fun, but usually has a lot of traffic. East Canyon is pretty much the back way from Ogden to SLC, and Ruth's is along the way, if you take Emigration canyon, the food and atmosphere there is great! Or if you continue towards Park City, Billy Blancos is fairly close, which is a restaurant that is a car guys dream, plus the Gold Rush Rally stops there every year and people take pics of their exotics.
Appreciate 0