E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Europe vs US

04-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
dvshannow
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Europe vs US

Just ordered my 330i in london and been looking for E90 forums when pondering the options. Found most of the forums are US based and how different the content is.

In the UK, manuals are def preferred on anything sporty, there are NO AWD 3-series, that would also be strange on a sports car. Just something i noticed.

Also - I think these cars are much cheaper in the US - i am gettng a med spec 330i costing 32k GBP which is around 57000USD - now exchange rate allowed, that is quite a lot more expensive no??! Could get a good 530d Sport for the same price incidenttally, which was tempting, but i far preferred the test drive on the 330i.

anyways jusy my 2 pence
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #2
a3ndy
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
Hi,

I'm in the UK too, and will be ordering 330i soon after test drive. You are so right about costs compared to the US. Even Xenons are an optiuon on the 330i, whereas in the US they are standard. So unfair.

Tell all...What options did you go for, colour, wheels etc...

I'm sure we're all intrigued.

When do you get it? i was told about May/June if I order like now.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Congratulations on your order - what options/specs did you order? When do you take delivery?

You're spot on about the auto thing, percentage-wise americans just drive more automatics than manuals (though they could start to move a bit away from pure automatics now that you have technology like SMG, is my guess). In the regions here that snow a lot an AWD definitely comes in handy, although I hate how the car's suspension is higher than the non-AWD... I dunno how many people who live in places without snow order the XI's.

Have you ever driven an e46 before? If so, how did the 330i compare? We're all salivating here in the states for the day when we get our first test drives.
      04-06-2005, 02:19 AM   #4
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Ordered just today 4/5/05 and left a $500 deposit, the dealer said it should arrive by mid-June. He also said I can see the step by step status of the car with the BMW Owner's circle website. Here is what I got:
-Sapphire Black 330i
-Aluminum Trim
-Black Dakota Leather
-Premium Package
-Sport Package
-Cold weather package
-Steptronic Automatic
-Power rear shade/ rear manual side window shades
-Park distance control
-On-board Navigation System with idrive

I didn't get the active steering because I don't want my driving style to change and I didn't get active cruise control because it came with the standard cruise control and I don't use it that often. It all came out to $46,470 usd. I can't wait!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
dvshannow
Registered
Rep
Drives:

driven the M3 before only, i was torn between the 330i and a 2 year old M3 with all the extras - they are going for around 33-35k here, and my insurance would be exactly the same (a flat rate policy from work)

so to compare, the M3 feels more sporty, of course faster, and the engine makes a fantastic noise. The 330i though is also fantastic sounds, actually sounds like a bigger engine than the M3's, as have a deeper note - i guess as less highly tuned.

apart from the ride, which was fantastic (my previous sporty car has been an S2000) really noticed how silent everything is with the windows shut when crusing at motorway speeds. w

Spec I went for

330i
18'' (slightly harder ride, but they look good)
Black leather (leather is a must have)
Aluminum trim
Black metallic
Sports suspension
Sports steering wheel
Sports seats
Sound upgrade (390gbp one)

what i was tempted for - but resisted!

Xenons
Logic7

Initially thought the 325i offered great value as got the 17'', and almost same spec as 330i. Dealer had both though, and test driving, the difference in performance was more than i expected.

So 330i it is, and delivery - quoted around may also.

Q - what options have people gone for, and did anyone manage much of a discount - my dealer refuses point blank , and even charging for mats!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewrek
Ordered just today 4/5/05 and left a $500 deposit, the dealer said it should arrive by mid-June. He also said I can see the step by step status of the car with the BMW Owner's circle website. Here is what I got:
-Sapphire Black 330i
-Aluminum Trim
-Black Dakota Leather
-Premium Package
-Sport Package
-Cold weather package
-Steptronic Automatic
-Power rear shade/ rear manual side window shades
-Park distance control
-On-board Navigation System with idrive

I didn't get the active steering because I don't want my driving style to change and I didn't get active cruise control because it came with the standard cruise control and I don't use it that often. It all came out to $46,470 usd. I can't wait!!!!!!!

Awesome Ewrek! Your car is almost fully stacked and with lots of the options I woulda wanted. Black/black too How well did you do on the price compared to MSRP or invoice? I can't wait until some of the people here start becoming real owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
a3ndy
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
This is the spec I'm going for:

330i SE
Titanium Silver
Matt titanium trim
6 Speed Automatic Steptronic
18" Ellipsoid style 162 wheels
Black Dakota Leather
Bi-Xenons
Sports suspension
Sports steering wheel
PDC Parking Control
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

My car is in the paint shop today according to BMW with expected completion date of April 7 (TOMORROW!!!) I ordered a 330i S. Graphite/Beige Leather/Poplar Wood with premium pkg., automatic, navigation, heated seats, and satellite radio prewiring for a total of $43,520. Considering how cheap the US$ is in currency markets, it is amazing that we're paying so much less for the cars than the Europeans.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb
My car is in the paint shop today according to BMW with expected completion date of April 7 (TOMORROW!!!) I ordered a 330i S. Graphite/Beige Leather/Poplar Wood with premium pkg., automatic, navigation, heated seats, and satellite radio prewiring for a total of $43,520. Considering how cheap the US$ is in currency markets, it is amazing that we're paying so much less for the cars than the Europeans.
What a coincidence, mine is also expected to be complete on 7th. I ordered 330i, SG, Beige, Walnut wood, PP, SP, Auto.

How did you know that it was in Paint shop today?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Well my the sticker on my car was $46,000, but I have a friend at BMW who said he'd hook me up with a little over cost. Which includes some free accessories like a key chain and all-weather mats. I'm gonna try to get the 6-disk changer out of em though.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
dvshannow
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Germany pick-up

wonder about the Germany pick up - can you order a car , pay in US , and drive it back to england instead
Appreciate 0