BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Preorder questions/concerns

So just to give some background as I am in the market for a new car. I have a '11 X3 35i , and since I got my car I found the turbo lag pretty bad, and my car always pulls hard left/right going over bumps and things on the road. Needless to say, I am still considering the X3 m40i, GLC 43 AMG, and the SQ5.

1 - sunroof, am I missing something or is this not standard? It is in the sq5/glc 43.

2 - can you get 20" wheels/tires from the factory or only 19/21s? 21s, is really a tough/expensive size to get replacements and winters (even if I size 1 down), I would rather a 20 summer/19" winter setup, like the sq5/glc have.

3 - Has anyone experienced turbo lag on the new models like a small delay when you press on the pedal after a stop, can you give you a bit of whiplash depending on how hard you drive.

If I add the sunroof package, the BMW is 4-5k more expensive but I like the look of it the best. The audi is a beast in winter, the glc not so much, and my x3 is probably average. Would appreciate some feedback, as I am on the fence on the X3 right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
So just to give some background as I am in the market for a new car. I have a '11 X3 35i , and since I got my car I found the turbo lag pretty bad, and my car always pulls hard left/right going over bumps and things on the road. Needless to say, I am still considering the X3 m40i, GLC 43 AMG, and the SQ5. 1 - ... 2 - ... 3 - Has anyone experienced turbo lag on the new models like a small delay when you press on the pedal after a stop, can you give you a bit of whiplash depending on how hard you drive.
Can only speak to #3, mtlbrad - negative. It seems this issue has been resolved, or at least in our sample of one. Multiple times I have had that instinctive wince wondering if it would come (and in multiple scenarios already in which varying degrees of acceleration and quickness were needed), but it is as smooth as silk (900 miles in, give or take). Others will chime in as well I suspect. This, coming from an extensive background with 2011 X3 35i, 2012 X3 35i, and 2015 LCI X3 35i. Good luck on your decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
azf100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
2 - can you get 20" wheels/tires from the factory or only 19/21s? 21s, is really a tough/expensive size to get replacements and winters (even if I size 1 down), I would rather a 20 summer/19" winter setup, like the sq5/glc have.
Yes, I ordered 20's for my X3 M40i.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Oh, I remember the lag quite well on my previous 2012 X3 35i.. It was sometimes terrifying when I would try to make a left turn after coming to a stop and not getting an immediate response with traffic coming ahead. None of that on my current 2015, though so like Max Well said, I imagine that issue was eradicated.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Hey mtlbrad, if you're opting for the M40 I believe the sunroof is standard, the lag in my 13 x3 35 is not as bad as you describe it, quick shift to sports will fix that, the left to right over bumps is due to your tires nearing the end of their life it used to happen to me on the 15 when my tires were starting to wear out. last, why not go try one, the laval location has a few sitting there waiting to be driven.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Hey mtlbrad, if you're opting for the M40 I believe the sunroof is standard, the lag in my 13 x3 35 is not as bad as you describe it, quick shift to sports will fix that, the left to right over bumps is due to your tires nearing the end of their life it used to happen to me on the 15 when my tires were starting to wear out. last, why not go try one, the laval location has a few sitting there waiting to be driven.
The WI is only getting it in a week about, but I think I might head to laval and test drive it. Thanks for the heads up, on the website it says you need the prem/prem enhanced/ultimate package to get the panorama sunroof, didn't see it without adding those packages.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
lucasxu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
So just to give some background as I am in the market for a new car. I have a '11 X3 35i , and since I got my car I found the turbo lag pretty bad, and my car always pulls hard left/right going over bumps and things on the road. Needless to say, I am still considering the X3 m40i, GLC 43 AMG, and the SQ5.

1 - sunroof, am I missing something or is this not standard? It is in the sq5/glc 43.

3 - Has anyone experienced turbo lag on the new models like a small delay when you press on the pedal after a stop, can you give you a bit of whiplash depending on how hard you drive.

If I add the sunroof package, the BMW is 4-5k more expensive but I like the look of it the best. The audi is a beast in winter, the glc not so much, and my x3 is probably average. Would appreciate some feedback, as I am on the fence on the X3 right now.
To answer your number 3 question: I tired the new M40i 3 times and there is no lag for the turbo it went instantly. I am pretty sure it is the B58 engine slove the lag problem
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

1) Sunroof not standard but is part of most packages

2) Canadian price guide has 20" wheel option for the 30i only. M40i has 21" standard or NC 19" You can check with rep if they can add the 20" on the M40i

3)No lag during my test drives with the M40i

FYIs:
No M Sport steering as you probably already know
Ventilated seats do not have adjustable side bolsters and are limited to Black, Mocha and Canberra colours only right now.

Quote:

Appreciate 0