BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

X3 M40i Test Drive

Test drove the M40i yesterday - very impressed. Silly fast, the stock M Sport suspension seemed perfectly calibrated to me, build quality was excellent. Couldn't find the power tilt button for steering wheel, I'm sure it's there somewhere, the one at the showroom had a manually adjusted steering wheel. Car was more than quiet enough in comfort mode but came alive when you stomped the accelerator. Brakes were almost too grabby, would have to recalibrate my brake pedal pressure.

My only concern is the size...coming from an X5 with two teenage girls, one of whom is still growing. fortunately i'm short (5 8") so I can bring the drivers seat up quite a bit leaving decent legroom in the back, but definitely less than the X5. My golf clubs will be a tight fit - i know they will go in using the cubby holes, not sure if they will fit diagonally without using the cubby hole, but i could always just put one of the rear seats down. Curious if the M40i buyers out there have kids and if any of you downsized from the X5, would like your impressions on size.
Appreciate 3
FSociety3810.00
Gudus16.50
GianniB35.00
      11-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Gudus
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i, mini SE

I don't think there is such a power tilt button for steering wheel. Just a manual adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
When they replaced the language in the Standard Features to remove the M Sport Wheel in the US site, they replaced it with language for a regular sport wheel with power tilt/telescope. They replaced a "wrong" entry with another entry that is not entirely correct either.....
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      11-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
When they replaced the language in the Standard Features to remove the M Sport Wheel in the US site, they replaced it with language for a regular sport wheel with power tilt/telescope. They replaced a "wrong" entry with another entry that is not entirely correct either.....
Apparently this is a difficult job..
Appreciate 1
bwcooper179.00
      11-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Test drove the M40i yesterday - very impressed. Silly fast, the stock M Sport suspension seemed perfectly calibrated to me, build quality was excellent. Couldn't find the power tilt button for steering wheel, I'm sure it's there somewhere, the one at the showroom had a manually adjusted steering wheel. Car was more than quiet enough in comfort mode but came alive when you stomped the accelerator. Brakes were almost too grabby, would have to recalibrate my brake pedal pressure.

My only concern is the size...coming from an X5 with two teenage girls, one of whom is still growing. fortunately i'm short (5 8") so I can bring the drivers seat up quite a bit leaving decent legroom in the back, but definitely less than the X5. My golf clubs will be a tight fit - i know they will go in using the cubby holes, not sure if they will fit diagonally without using the cubby hole, but i could always just put one of the rear seats down. Curious if the M40i buyers out there have kids and if any of you downsized from the X5, would like your impressions on size.
My kids are adults now, and are even bigger than me. Which is why I posted the pics of what I would look like sitting behind someone of my size (6'2"). I used to have a larger MDX, and downsized to the RX 350 back when it was smaller. The X3 is actually about the same size as that RX, maybe a half inch less knee room.

Naturally, what I really like about the mid sized versions now is the ease in navigating in tight spaces (parking lots), etc. To the point that when I get in a full size X5 or 2017 or later RX, it seems like a tank.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

Thanks BWCooper. So no power telescoping steering wheel...bummer. not a deal breaker. seems out of place in a car so otherwise loaded.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #7
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Thanks BWCooper. So no power telescoping steering wheel...bummer. not a deal breaker. seems out of place in a car so otherwise loaded.
Yeah, even my old 2009 Lexus had that, including moving it up out of the way when you got in/out of the vehicle, which was a nice touch. Seems odd that they haven't included that upgrade yet. I assume, since they clearly copied the wrong feature when they incorrectly corrected the M40 steering wheel disaster description, that other BMW models have such a feature...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #8
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Yeah, even my old 2009 Lexus had that, including moving it up out of the way when you got in/out of the vehicle, which was a nice touch. Seems odd that they haven't included that upgrade yet. I assume, since they clearly copied the wrong feature when they incorrectly corrected the M40 steering wheel disaster description, that other BMW models have such a feature...
I owned an e90 335, an E93 M3 and in the last two years have rented a 535 and an X5 each for weekend trips, none of them had power tilt. I'm not an expert though on every single model, of course. It's likely some builds/generations of 5 series do have it.

I'm honestly not sure I'd even want it, I've never had any desire to move the position once I set it, but I guess if I actually had it for awhile I might get used to it and want it. I want my cars to be nice, but not to the point where they just throw weight and performance out completely in the name of luxury. Reminds me of something I'd see on my grandpa's old Cadillac or maybe a 7 series where they don't care about the weight of a few big high torque motors. Of course, I readily admit that the luxury bits I find valuable vs the ones I find superfluous are going to differ from someone else's.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #9
Gudus
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i, mini SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I owned an e90 335, an E93 M3 and in the last two years have rented a 535 and an X5 each for weekend trips, none of them had power tilt. I'm not an expert though on every single model, of course. It's likely some builds/generations of 5 series do have it.

I'm honestly not sure I'd even want it, I've never had any desire to move the position once I set it, but I guess if I actually had it for awhile I might get used to it and want it. I want my cars to be nice, but not to the point where they just throw weight and performance out completely in the name of luxury. Reminds me of something I'd see on my grandpa's old Cadillac or maybe a 7 series where they don't care about the weight of a few big high torque motors. Of course, I readily admit that the luxury bits I find valuable vs the ones I find superfluous are going to differ from someone else's.
New 5 series (G30) and 7 series have power tilt.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:19 AM   #10
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudus View Post
New 5 series (G30) and 7 series have power tilt.
The X5 has had it since at least the E70. Only drawback is when it decides not to work and you have to do a 400 mile drive with the steering wheel all the way out and up. Then the next day it works fine and the dealer can't find anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
Nav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

I drove the new M40i today - as was stated earlier - silly fast - but lots of fun compared to my current x3. What surprised me was the roundel on the back hatch was not seated and was coming loose. Also noted the airbag cover around the a pillar airbag was flimsy and rattled. The center air conditioning vent also felt cheap. Waiting to see another example, hoping this was simply an early build with some early teething issues - really want to order but wondering if I should wait until late 2018 or early 2019.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #12
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I'm honestly not sure I'd even want it, I've never had any desire to move the position once I set it, but I guess if I actually had it for awhile I might get used to it and want it.
It makes a difference when you have two drivers. My wife is 5'2" so we have way different driving positions. With power tilt/telescope it is tied to the seat memory.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #13
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
I drove the new M40i today - as was stated earlier - silly fast - but lots of fun compared to my current x3. What surprised me was the roundel on the back hatch was not seated and was coming loose. Also noted the airbag cover around the a pillar airbag was flimsy and rattled. The center air conditioning vent also felt cheap. Waiting to see another example, hoping this was simply an early build with some early teething issues - really want to order but wondering if I should wait until late 2018 or early 2019.
We don't have those first two issues you mention in our G01 M40i. The A/C vent is subjective so can't comment on that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #14
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Naturally, what I really like about the mid sized versions now is the ease in navigating in tight spaces (parking lots), etc. To the point that when I get in a full size X5 or 2017 or later RX, it seems like a tank.
And we had that two days ago on our first long trip - had to park in a Parking Garage which had such a steep and narrow and curving entry ramp that I'm surprised it was able to past construction/traffic codes. I almost took a picture of the side walls as they were discolored by numerous past scraping incidents. Was actually thinking to myself how folks with larger vehicles could even make it in.
Appreciate 1
Slalom506.50