E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > manual transmission harder to go in gears when cold

10-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4MC

manual transmission harder to go in gears when cold

I am having a problem when it's cold outside below 35 °F, it gets harder for me to put get my car in gears. Even when try to rev match and stuff. But everything gets back to normal after the car has warm up fully to operational temperature.

My cars is a late N55 with 43k miles on it. I haven't done any modification to the car yet. When I had my N54, this never happened.
A coworker of mine with a 6MT Honda SI have noted same problem as my car.

Anyone else experienced this? Any possible guess as to what's happening and solutions?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nityrider View Post
I am having a problem when it's cold outside below 35 °F, it gets harder for me to put get my car in gears. Even when try to rev match and stuff. But everything gets back to normal after the car has warm up fully to operational temperature.

My cars is a late N55 with 43k miles on it. I haven't done any modification to the car yet. When I had my N54, this never happened.
A coworker of mine with a 6MT Honda SI have noted same problem as my car.

Anyone else experienced this? Any possible guess as to what's happening and solutions?
Did you or the prior owner replace the transmission fluid? Should be using very thin DCT fluid in our transmission like Pentosin FFL-3.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

This is expected behavior depending on the fluid used in the transmission. You can try swapping to a different fluid to change the cold shift characteristics. Recommendations are:

- Pentosin FFL-3 (OEM)
- Redline D4
- Royal Purple Synchromax
- OE fluid $$$$$$: 83222339221
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
This is expected behavior depending on the fluid used in the transmission. You can try swapping to a different fluid to change the cold shift characteristics. Recommendations are:

- Pentosin FFL-3 (OEM)
- Redline D4
Careful with the Royal Purple, it tends to wear sychro's fast. It is thinner with less additives, so it will make a trans on its way out shift better for a while. Redline is known to be very good and what I used in most of my cars. Being synthetic the cold won't have as much affect on it, but any fluid gets thicker in the cold. No way around it.
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Did you or the prior owner replace the transmission fluid? Should be using very thin DCT fluid in our transmission like Pentosin FFL-3.
I don't know, but I will ask BMW for service records when I go for an oil change next week.

Quote:

- Pentosin FFL-3 (OEM)
- Redline D4
So Pentosin FFL-3 looks to be a better option than OE or same just that OE is $$$$$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
Careful with the Royal Purple, it tends to wear sychro's fast. It is thinner with less additives, so it will make a trans on its way out shift better for a while. Redline is known to be very good and what I used in most of my cars. Being synthetic the cold won't have as much affect on it, but any fluid gets thicker in the cold. No way around it.
I remember when I use to have my 3000GT people use to talk about Royal Purple wearing down sychro fast. I avoided it, I guess I will keep avoiding it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I remember when I use to have my 3000GT people use to talk about Royal Purple wearing down sychro fast. I avoided it, I guess I will keep avoiding it.
We probably know each other as I was in the DSM crowd in Minneapolis for many years. The niteryder I know is Josh S., but yours is spelled a little different and I know he doesn't have a BMW. I was at quite a few of the Cookout's Curt put on and took home some trophies. Small world!
2011 335Xi 6AT - VRSF catless DP - VRSF 7" FMIC with turbo inlet pipe - VRSF chargepipe - Pure Stage 1 turbo - JB4 - E30 - xHP Stage 3 - Strongflex tension bushings - Whiteline RSFB - UUC rear swaybar
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
So Pentosin FFL-3 looks to be a better option than OE or same just that OE is $$$$$?
It's identical. FFL-3 is relatively expensive at around $25/L, but if you are looking for the original shift characteristics, that is the gear oil that you need.

I run Redline D4 in mine and I like it. It's also a lot cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
1nityrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
We probably know each other as I was in the DSM crowd in Minneapolis for many years. The niteryder I know is Josh S., but yours is spelled a little different and I know he doesn't have a BMW. I was at quite a few of the Cookout's Curt put on and took home some trophies. Small world!
I might have seen you! I didn't go to a lot those cookout though. Josh is a legend in my books. Before he closed his shop I was planning to have him rebuild my car but it didn't happened. After he got into the cooperate world, he once left me a message on 3si checking if I still wanted my car done because he said we wanted something fun to do after work. But unfortunately for me that time, was just not good and I ended up selling the car. I still miss that car! I wish he was here on BMW! If I can still remember, he had bought an Audi, I think at A6 at some point after he closed the shope. I wonder what he drives now and if he's still tuning.

Quote:
It's identical. FFL-3 is relatively expensive at around $25/L, but if you are looking for the original shift characteristics, that is the gear oil that you need.

I run Redline D4 in mine and I like it. It's also a lot cheaper.
I am starting to think maybe I will just have the dealer change it for when I go for oil change because I don't wanna deal with a cold garage now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
Im using Redline MTL which I really like - getting into 20s 30s here in colorado and does fine.