F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Bimmercode questions
proTUNING Freaks

10-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
bimmer4lif3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440 gran coupe, E46 M3

Bimmercode questions

Hello all just got my vgate reader and about to pull the trigger on bimmercode but have a few questions to those that have used it with success. (1) can the directional aka blinkers be shut off so that they only go on when you need to make a turn? (2) For VIM am I able to stream the images on my phone to the radio screen or is just dvd based? ( I have apple car play in the car but I am an android user) this works against me having expert mode as well . last question I have read every single post from the 2 series all the way to x series on coding on this forum and some from others yet I cannot find a consistent answer to this should the car be ON...... or OFF? some have said that it will throw a code if the car is on while others say if just the ignition is on then it wont. This is very confusing I wont be able to erase codes since bimmerlink is apple based not android so strike two for me. it has also been noted the if coding the FEM the car should be on. I just don't want to F my car up doing this. On that not its a 2017 440 GC Msport if it make a difference.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
vgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

bimmercode works with ignition on. You don't need to have the engine running to code. 1) you can code out the front turn signals (i.e. the one in your headlamp) And don't worry a lot. you will not ruin your car by using bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
bimmer4lif3
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Vgore much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
mikkenoone
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

I always code my car with the engine running and recommend you to do the same if you don't have a battery charger connected.
      10-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
bimmer4lif3
Private First Class
Rep

Well I just decided to go for it I was able to code off (egg yolks aka marker lights) my car is white with black accents so this was a wonderful thing to remove , VIM off of dvd at any speed. I am still trying to figure out if I can install miracast to the car then stream from phone. I also enabled opening and closing my trunk and windows from the fob and finally got rid of disclaimer screen. FYI for those that are coding I had the car off and I still got the chassis error I just started the car after seeing it and it wiped it out I am sure it is stored in the DME so the dealer will be able to see it. other than that I was not able to find door lights on when reversing do I need expert mode for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
bimmer4lif3
Private First Class
Rep

Hello mikkenoone,
Thanks. I did it in short bursts so I would know if anything went wrong then I would know the source.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4lif3 View Post
Well I just decided to go for it I was able to code off (egg yolks aka marker lights) my car is white with black accents so this was a wonderful thing to remove , VIM off of dvd at any speed. I am still trying to figure out if I can install miracast to the car then stream from phone. I also enabled opening and closing my trunk and windows from the fob and finally got rid of disclaimer screen. FYI for those that are coding I had the car off and I still got the chassis error I just started the car after seeing it and it wiped it out I am sure it is stored in the DME so the dealer will be able to see it. other than that I was not able to find door lights on when reversing do I need expert mode for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4lif3 View Post
FYI for those that are coding I had the car off and I still got the chassis error I just started the car after seeing it and it wiped it out I am sure it is stored in the DME so the dealer will be able to see it. other than that I was not able to find door lights on when reversing do I need expert mode for this?
I think I got this same error. Is this common? Did you get a yellow triangle on dash?

Im hoping when I start my car for work this morning, it will be gone....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
bimmer4lif3
Private First Class
Rep

Yes this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Phew. Thanks!

Yellow triangle was gone this morning and all seems well.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
bimmer4lif3
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
jomigo
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xDrive Gran Coupe MP

GPS Clock (yellow triangle) sync error

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Phew. Thanks!

Yellow triangle was gone this morning and all seems well.
Is this normal for certain ECU coding? (to get the yellow triangle)
I tried coding an instrument cluster change today (GPS Clock Sync) and as expected I got an instrument cluster error, although Bimmercode told me the coding "was successful". I disconnected, shut the car off, got out, locked the doors, waited a few seconds, got back in....repeat...and the triangle was still there (I was able to acknowledge the text in the main screen though and it never came back). I checked the time and date settings and there was no "GPS Sync" checkbox.
Not wanting to F-things up, I went ahead and used Bimmercode to restore the original backup, and the triangle went away.
So questions:
- Had I waited several hours, would it have gone away on its own and the GPS clock sync function magically would have started/been visible in the options?
- I have also read (inconsistently though) that Bimmerlink would be needed to clear the error. Is this true? and if I clear the error and restart the car will the functionality of the GPS sync magically started?

Thanks to all that have been there on this already...I'm new to Bimmer so learning as I go. Will definitely post my lessons learned as I do this to help others in the future.
Appreciate 0