BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > DCT Questions/Concerns

10-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
CHITOWN1series
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
DCT Questions/Concerns

Hi Guys,

This is my first time owning a DCT car and I have some concerns that I am not sure are usual. I just past 1200 miles and have my break-in service scheduled next weekend.

1. When starting from a stop and accelerating very slowly, there is a whining noise, almost sounds like an electric motor is winding. . . is this normal?

2. When going up an incline at a very slow speed, it seems like the clutch doesn't engage sometimes until upwards of 1500 RPM or more and then the car will all of a sudden lurch forward abruptly like the clutch was dumped . . . is this normal?

Any input from other DCT owners if they are experiencing similar things would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob
      10-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHITOWN1series View Post
Hi Guys,

This is my first time owning a DCT car and I have some concerns that I am not sure are usual. I just past 1200 miles and have my break-in service scheduled next weekend.

1. When starting from a stop and accelerating very slowly, there is a whining noise, almost sounds like an electric motor is winding. . . is this normal?

2. When going up an incline at a very slow speed, it seems like the clutch doesn't engage sometimes until upwards of 1500 RPM or more and then the car will all of a sudden lurch forward abruptly like the clutch was dumped . . . is this normal?

Any input from other DCT owners if they are experiencing similar things would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob
Mine does that too (whining). I'm not sure but it might be the differential not the DCT. As far as the lurch I think that's normal as well. There is a creep feature meant for stop and go traffic where you tap on the gas and the car will creep forward without any additional gas so as not to wear on the clutch, I think it's just the tranny coming out of that mode. My first DCT as well but it's known to be a little quirky at creep speeds from what I've read.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Have not experience the whine but creeping forward is a pain in the ass. My car fits in my garage with about 3" to spare so I have to get the front bumper to within an inch or so of the wall. I've got to creep up to the wall and spot the distance from the wall with with a mirror I have mounted on the side wall. I'll be trying to creep up to it and with 3 or 4 inches to go, the DCT will just say this is good enough and stop. I'm afraid to try to inch it forward so I end up backing up a foot or two and creeping in again. I'm putting it down to not being used to it yet (only about 1400 miles on it) but maybe its something I'll just have to live with. ...and before anyone jumps on, I still happy that I went DCT over stick! :-)

Last edited by dtmurf; 11-05-2017 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
When you're trying to creep in, don't use the gas pedal at all. When you make it partway into the garage, stop entirely first. After you're stopped, give the gas a very light tap and take your foot off it right away (don't hold it). This will put the car into "creep mode" and that's the best way to make small adjustments (just use the brake to stop).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
dtmurf480.00
      11-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

And you can also use a wooden block under a front-wheel to get a consistent stopping point. My garage is pretty full with either a lawn tractor or snow-blower in front of the car, depending on the season, I have a 16" 2x8 which stops the creep.
Appreciate 1
dtmurf480.00
      11-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #6
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
When you're trying to creep in, don't use the gas pedal at all. When you make it partway into the garage, stop entirely first. After you're stopped, give the gas a very light tap and take your foot off it right away (don't hold it). This will put the car into "creep mode" and that's the best way to make small adjustments (just use the brake to stop).
Thanks for the info; it's not a DD so I'll give that a shot next time I'm driving it!
      11-05-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
And you can also use a wooden block under a front-wheel to get a consistent stopping point. My garage is pretty full with either a lawn tractor or snow-blower in front of the car, depending on the season, I have a 16" 2x8 which stops the creep.
Ya, I think that's most likely how I'll end up. Was hoping to just get used to it but pride cometh before the fall..or in my case, the wall!
      11-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just so you know....My M4 made noise and it never missed a beat
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
StefanV
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI LBB DCT

I was worried at first also but now I even started to love the roughness of M-DCT and the verbosness. Sometimes I can even hear preselecting gears. Now S-tronic DSG gearbox seems so dull, no emotion no nothing.
I believe M-DCT it's the best dual clutch available on the market till the rarefied air of Porsche and above.
Does anybody knows when the M-DCT is due to oil flush? 60k km?
Appreciate 2
963mw331.00
      11-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #10
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanV View Post
I was worried at first also but now I even started to love the roughness of M-DCT and the verbosness. Sometimes I can even hear preselecting gears. Now S-tronic DSG gearbox seems so dull, no emotion no nothing.
I believe M-DCT it's the best dual clutch available on the market till the rarefied air of Porsche and above.
Does anybody knows when the M-DCT is due to oil flush? 60k km?
The US service manual says that M-DCT is "lifetime fill" for the oil... I would personally feel safer changing it every 40k miles, which is what VW specs for their dual-clutch cars.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      11-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Rob
I would try being more deliberate with the gas pedal and using the creep function. The whine sound might just be 1st gear isn't completely engaged? 1st gear doesn't do so well on hills, firmly press on the gas and get it into second, this is easier if you're manually selecting the gears. If I try to drive up a hill in first the car jerks a bit. I am just using 1st briefly to get up to a high enough RPM to shift into second.

Also usually either stay in second if I am going slow or come to a complete stop, and then start in first like you normally would rather than shift to first when going slow. It will stay in second pretty much all the way down to coming to a complete stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
CHITOWN1series
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Rob
I would try being more deliberate with the gas pedal and using the creep function. The whine sound might just be 1st gear isn't completely engaged? 1st gear doesn't do so well on hills, firmly press on the gas and get it into second, this is easier if you're manually selecting the gears. If I try to drive up a hill in first the car jerks a bit. I am just using 1st briefly to get up to a high enough RPM to shift into second.

Also usually either stay in second if I am going slow or come to a complete stop, and then start in first like you normally would rather than shift to first when going slow. It will stay in second pretty much all the way down to coming to a complete stop.
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go.