F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor and Seller Review/Feedback Forum > OSS
GetBMWParts

10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Guardian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 135is#190/586 (SOLD)

Thumbs down OSS

I wanted to post a review of OSS Designs regarding my experience with them. I had originally not planned to post a review, but felt that I would be failing the BMW community if I didn't.

In January 2017 I sent my headlights to OSS for udated LED rings (DTM) and eyebrows. The work was supposed to be done shortly after they received the headlights, but it took nearly 4 weeks for them to do the work and send them back. Their explanation was that an issue with a different customer's headlights had delayed their other work. I was offered no compensation or anything else for the extended delay.

I received my headlights and after installing them, discovered that the Adaptive lighting now no longer worked. Specifically, the driver-side stepper motor wouldn't move. I contacted OSS and they stated that they "don't touch that part of the headlight." They also stated that they had never had anyone have issues with adaptive lighting on headlights they had worked on (another lie, as there are threads on the E90 and M3 forums talking about the same issue with OSS). They blamed it on damage from shipping, but that was complete BS, as the other headlight was in the same box, and there was no damage to the packaging, the outside of either light, or the passenger side. Anyhow, they refused to assist in any way and flat out denied that they were in any way responsible for the problem. They were kind enough to suggest I file a claim with FedEx

I filed a PayPal dispute, and was subsequently contacted by OSS offering to refund $200 so that I could "go to the dealer and have them check the adaptive lighting" and if the dealer found that the problem was from the OSS work, then they would "look at" seeing what they could do for me. I felt it a waste of time, but did exactly that. Sure enough, the dealer checked the lights and found that the servo on the driver's side would not move completely within it's range of motion. I provided this info, and a copy of the service ticket, to OSS. They never responded. And I followed up again, and they never replied. PayPal closed the dispute and released the funds to OSS, stating that the work had been done by OSS, and they wouldn't reverse the charge for damages from the work. Oh, and OSS never did refund the $200 as they had promised.

I ultimately decided to code out the adaptive lighting and to leave it alone and not post negative reviews for OSS. I saw it as the cost of admission for modifying the car and otherwise felt the work was good.

That was, until the end of September...when I noticed that both LED rings on the passenger side headlight and the LED ring on the high-beam of the driver side had come off and were loose in the housing, and the seal put in place by OSS on the driver's side healight had split around the entire corner of the housing!

At this point I was extremely pissed. In looking at it, OSS had used double sided tape to attach the LED rings. It was still within the 1 year warranty period, but I sure as hell wasn't going to send the headlights back to OSS. They obviously had rushed the work and done a half-assed, crappy job on the lights to begin with. They had already been dishonest and done poor work, so I didn't trust them to stand behind their work or fix it correctly.

Here are pics of the loose LED rings and the cracked housing:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...928Y4qugAiBceM

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...DT_mT4SPf1ahdu

I ended up contacting ONEighty and they agreed to repair the lights for a very reasonable price. They re-attached the LED rings, and also found that OSS had run the wires for the rings right next to the adaptive lighting servo and that it was interferring with the movement (so obviously the adaptive lighting failure was 100% OSS' fault).

I got the lights back last week and I couldn't be happier with the work from ONEighty. The had re-routed and repositioned the wiring that OSS had put in the housing for the rings, and now, lo-and-behold, my adaptive lighting works!

In short, I cannot, ever, recommend OSS for headlight work. They are dishonest and perform sub-standard work. They DO NOT stand behind their products and will not accept responsibility for their mistakes. They may have been good at one time, and there are many people who have gotten work done by OSS and not had any issues. My experience is, quite possibly, the exception to the norm, but I can only go by what I have seen from them, and that is pure crap work and poor customer service. I say stay away from them and find another vendor.
2013 E82 135is - Alpine White/Coral Red - #190/586 Sold
Appreciate 1
F30xx1.50