BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW rethinking marketing strategy and design, going upmarket

10-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

BMW rethinking marketing strategy and design, going upmarket

Quote:
BMW is reinventing its design philosophy and shifting upmarket with new, distinctly flavoured luxury models. Richard Bremner investigates Bayerische Motoren Werke.

The spelling out of the BMW name in full, and the use of a black and silver roundel (rather than the famous blue and white propeller logo), are among the more subtle indicators of a significant change of direction for the Munich-based manufacturer.

A new design language is emerging for both the interiors and exteriors of its cars. The brand is going to stretch itself further upmarket. And it’s presenting itself in new ways. That’s for the mainstream BMWs, for the electrified i-brand cars and for the newly designated luxury models, whose print, TV and online presentation will be accompanied by that BMW name in full, and the black and silver badge.

At the recent Frankfurt motor show, where this new signage could be seen above a display of special 7 Series saloons (one yacht-inspired exploratory version of which has wooden floor mats...), BMW also rolled out its handsome 8 Series concept, the rather less elegant X7 show car and an electric i Vision Dynamics saloon with a twin kidney grille of rather startling proportions.

Indeed, the grilles of all three concepts vary substantially in shape, texture, proportion and form, and are all further clues to BMW’s change of tack. Which is a lot more substantial even than the reshaping and recolouring of BMW’s most famous visual signatures, as the company’s product management and design chiefs explain.

“There are a couple of things that happened in parallel in the BMW Group,” says BMW Group design boss Adrian van Hooydonk, who explains the genesis of this shift.

First, expanding at the top end of our range is something that we’ve been wanting to do for a while. We believe that there’s room to do so – actually our customers are asking for more products at the top end – and almost at the same time as we were plotting new cars like the 8 Series and the X7, we realised that when we came to 2018, we would hit a wave of new products, including the Z4 and a couple of other cars.

“In fact, six or seven new BMWs will be rolled out in the next year-and-a-half or so. I’ve been with this company a while and we’ve done a lot of product in the past, but I would say that we’ve never done so many new cars for one particular brand in such a short period of time.”

With such a rich array of new models under development, the company reckoned that this was “an opportunity, because if you can roll six cars in one-and-a-half years, you can pretty much transform the brand,” says van Hooydonk. “We also felt that it was the right time because we felt quite happy with the design up until now. But you have to keep moving. You don’t want to become a sitting duck.”

Not allowing BMW to become a sitting duck is also a motivation for BMW’s product management and brand chief Hildegard Wortmann. “I think it’s important when you have such a strong brand that you keep it fresh all the time, that you keep it original, that you keep it on the edge,” she says. To that end, Wortmann, a brand expert with experience at both Unilever and Calvin Klein before she joined BMW in 1998, has overseen a three-pronged reorientation of the way BMW presents itself to the world. And with her contribution to the product development process, she has been involved with the substance of the new cars too.

Those three prongs are the mainstream BMWs, the i-brand cars and the newly designated luxury Bayerische Motoren Werke models.

BMW enthusiasts might notice that people now appear in some of the company’s ads, and that the tone of its messaging, which cuts across social media as well, alters according to the model. Wortmann cites “the latest [advertising] campaign on the 1 Series – it’s completely digital, dealing with the topic of drones, doing competitions and installations with drones. This freshening up is keeping the brand up to date, making it modern. The challenge is to do different interpretations with each and every car, depending on the different segments, and the different target audiences.”

With the i models, she adds, “you’ll see a much fresher approach with more digital, more multimedia and more emotion. It’s a strong statement of attitude.” BMW’s luxury models – the existing 7 Series, and the forthcoming X7 and 8 Series Coupé – will be represented using a strategy borrowed from the fashion world, “by going back to our roots and using the full name, like Alexander McQueen”, says Wortmann. The McQueen fashion house and others spell the brand’s name out for its high-end lines, and use initials for the more affordable products.

The visual character of the cars themselves will change too, says van Hooydonk, for “this new chapter in our form language. Pretty quickly, we came to the conclusion that it should be something that is cleaner, where we are trying to achieve a lot with fewer elements, and fewer lines.

“But the lines that we do have should be crisper, sharper and more precise. We believe that this will fit very well with these new top-end products. When you reduce the form language, the details matter more. In the luxury segment, where often more is more, we are offering luxury in a very modern way.”

The new design language isn’t only about simplifying and refining shapes. BMW is keen to develop more individual identities within its range, as those striking new grilles indicate. “In the next vehicle generation, we want to separate each and every model. They have very different types of competitors that could be from totally different brands. The industry has changed in that sense,” says van Hooydonk.

“For the luxury cars, it is always a good idea to separate them from the next car up – that’s something that we will do. If you look at the 8 Series, I believe it deserves that name. Like the previous 8 Series, it’s a car that’s not a saloon-derived coupé.”

With a new design language under development and that wave of new models for 2018, van Hooydonk and the marketing team reckoned that BMW should also reassess its corporate identity. That process was led by Wortmann, who says: “You saw the first outing at the Frankfurt notor show with the fully written ‘Bayerische Motoren Werke’ in the black and white logo, at least in print. We feel that it’s more elegant and sophisticated. It fits with what we are trying to do with the form language.”

As might be expected, the design team has adopted a new interior approach too, “for the same reasons – there too we could clean up”, says van Hooydonk. “Cars will become more intelligent and that’s beginning to happen now. It means you have to tell the car less what it needs to do and what you want from it. So you will need fewer buttons.

“The buttons that we do still have are neatly grouped in a couple of islands in the centre console or in the dashboard in the Z4, 8 Series and X7 concept cars. The cockpits are going to go towards digital and always include a head-up display, and the way you operate the vehicle will then become a mix between touch, some hard keys and voice control.”

That’s for the near-to-medium term, during which “the intelligence of vehicles will grow”, says van Hooydonk. “Before long, cars will be self-learning and, ultimately, will be able to drive autonomously. That opens up other possibilities because you can sit people in different ways in the car. We can expect to see a lot more development in the interior of cars in the next couple of years. With these concept cars, we’re also showing with the interior that when you reduce, it actually can be more luxurious and there is more space for exclusive materials.”

In 2018, then, we can expect this visual revolution to take off with some force. As Wortmann and van Hooydonk explain, these changes have been fired by both design and marketing. “If it pulls the brand a little bit further upmarket, that’s good,” reckons van Hooydonk.

Given the scope of this shift for BMW, the results could generate usefully more than that too.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...going-upmarket
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I've got an idea -- stop making bland, boring cars. And make some sports cars again.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 7
      10-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

So they're moving up market by releasing fwd cars? Seems like they have it backwards
Appreciate 5
      10-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I fear that in this market, "upmarket" means charging more for the same vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I think it's great, BMWs weren't overpriced enough already! For their next trick why not cut down all warranties to 2/24k, and get rid of CPO entirely (as we know those CPO cars are only for low limit rollers anyway who should really be driving used KIAs).

Charge more for less, brilliant idea!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Well gee guys its going to cost a lot more to spell out "Bavarian Motor Works" instead of just "BMW" on the logos, documentation and badging of the cars, so the very significant incremental first and ongoing costs to design and operationalize that has to be recovered somehow.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

“In fact, six or seven new BMWs will be rolled out in the next year-and-a-half or so. I’ve been with this company a while and we’ve done a lot of product in the past, but I would say that we’ve never done so many new cars for one particular brand in such a short period of time.”

I think that's part of the problem. BMW is rolling out way too many models.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Unfortunately, we've seen some of this already (although without the new badging) with the introduction of several variants of M cars (e92 M3 GTS, f82 M4 GTS, upcoming M2 CSL, etc). So, I guess it makes sense to do the same thing on the luxury barge side.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I think it's great, BMWs weren't overpriced enough already! For their next trick why not cut down all warranties to 2/24k, and get rid of CPO entirely (as we know those CPO cars are only for low limit rollers anyway who should really be driving used KIAs).

Charge more for less, brilliant idea!
One can get into the far cooler and more fun Boxster/Cayman or Jag F type for less than an M4, new or used doesn't matter.

Why should anyone return to BMW when their cars just aren't fun to drive anymore? At least the M4 looks cool I guess.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50