F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Issues after NBT HU retrofit
Studio RSR

10-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
Chanrith
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xDrive

Issues after NBT HU retrofit

Hello,

I completed installation of a NBT HU unit that I got from eBay.

Here are some issues I’m facing at the moment. I’m new to coding and wanted to see if anyone can assist with next steps.

- Bluetooth microphone no longer working
- Cannot set date and time
- Being recognized as an X5
- GPS location not being captured (still waiting on the antenna)

Would coding help solve some of these issues or am I facing bigger issues?

Thanks in advance!

—Chanrith
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanrith View Post
Hello,

I completed installation of a NBT HU unit that I got from eBay.

Here are some issues I’m facing at the moment. I’m new to coding and wanted to see if anyone can assist with next steps.

- Bluetooth microphone no longer working
- Cannot set date and time
- Being recognized as an X5
- GPS location not being captured (still waiting on the antenna)

Would coding help solve some of these issues or am I facing bigger issues?

Thanks in advance!

—Chanrith
What model year is your 320i xDrive? If it's a 2014, that would explain the mic problem as the signal is going to the combox in the back. You will need a new mic cable running from the quad lock connector back over to the OEM location. I have a few of these in stock if you need one.

As for not being able to set the time and date, that is because the NBT is coded for the expanded instrument cluster on the donor car and the head unit needs to be recoded for the base instrument panel. The vehicle graphic can also be changed via coding.

If you need some additional help, feel free to PM me or email info@codemybimmer.ca
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 10-08-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:38 AM   #3
Chanrith
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
What model year is your 320i xDrive? If it's a 2014, that would explain the mic problem as the signal is going to the combox in the back. You will need a new mic cable running from the quad lock connector back over to the OEM location. I have a few of these in stock if you need one.

As for not being able to set the time and date, that is because the NBT is coded for the expanded instrument cluster on the donor car and the head unit needs to be recoded for the base instrument panel. The vehicle graphic can also be changed via coding.

If you need some additional help, feel free to PM me or email info@codemybimmer.ca
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the much needed advice. I have a 2013 model 320i xDrive. The NBT HU is said to be from a 2015 328i but it's actually from an X5 according to the screen anyways. I'm guessing I will need the new mic cable but have no idea how that should be wired to the harness I have. I have the navigation bypass harness which I kind of want to do without if I can have the headunit coded properly.

For the coding part I'm a bit uncomfortable with. I am a software engineer by day but things like this I may need to seek a professional. Though it would be nice to learn how to code the head unit myself in case I get curious and want to make future updates.

--Chanrith
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 03:33 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanrith View Post
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the much needed advice. I have a 2013 model 320i xDrive. The NBT HU is said to be from a 2015 328i but it's actually from an X5 according to the screen anyways. I'm guessing I will need the new mic cable but have no idea how that should be wired to the harness I have. I have the navigation bypass harness which I kind of want to do without if I can have the headunit coded properly.

For the coding part I'm a bit uncomfortable with. I am a software engineer by day but things like this I may need to seek a professional. Though it would be nice to learn how to code the head unit myself in case I get curious and want to make future updates.

--Chanrith
Hey Chanrith,

You shouldn't need a new mic cable if you have a 2013 unless your vehicle is equipped with SOS. Do you have the SOS button on the reading light?

PM me with the last 7 digits of the VIN and I can check for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Chanrith
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Hey Chanrith,

You shouldn't need a new mic cable if you have a 2013 unless your vehicle is equipped with SOS. Do you have the SOS button on the reading light?

PM me with the last 7 digits of the VIN and I can check for you.
It’s not equipped with the SOS button. Sending PM now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0