BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
ed021180
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335ci, M3 on order

Smile Chip Tuning

What is a good ecu for e92 m3? is remus a good exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Look here more discussion on this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138584
      05-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
ed021180
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thats no help

uhh there are no reports of hp gains pricing lets get some real info up that shouldnt even be a sticky.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed021180 View Post
uhh there are no reports of hp gains pricing lets get some real info up that shouldnt even be a sticky.
Some of them do have pricing and HP gains. Look closer.

Until all the info is published this is all we have so far. When more info is given from the tuners, it will be updated. It's a sticky cause its all the tuners in one place.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Remus I think is a decent exhaust, it is a bit lighter weight and worst case does at least a few hp’s (Don’t know if 10hp as they claim) and the sound to me is very nice. Certainly much better than stock but probably not as well sounding as the KKS or Kreissieg (or whatever) but for $1,500 installed is fabulous!!!

Chips, are a few out there that claim to add about 20hb to as much as 56hp. I think 20 to 25 is more realistic and I would stick or wait for Dinan or ACS.
      05-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Yes Pencil, I do agree with your statement. I seriously doubt you can “safely” get 50hp´s w/o doing damaging the engine or using higher octane fuel which may be HELL to get!!! Hahaha!!

Now, just as a matter of curiosity, why wouldn´t you want mid range hp and torque to increase while keeping the top flat? Wouldn´t the car theoretically get to top speed faster? Now clearly I prefer both, but just wondering. Of course, keeping air temperature constant! Don´t really care if the increase fuel mixture (if appropriate air is around that can be done with a cold air intake) of course.
      05-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
What I'm trying to say is that it may only be midrange HP increases on a dyno, and not in real life. If they're playing games with the fuel mapping to fake out the fact that the motor isn't getting proper ventilation -- then the increase in power will only occur when the motor is not getting proper ventilation. In other words, you'll never see any increase while you're driving -- only on the dyno.
Got it, clear enough!! Which is why I think we should stick with reputable tuners always!!
      05-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Why would anyone want to remove the rev limiter anyway unless you are using higher octane fuel and/or your engine is properly tuned?
      05-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Simple answer: Horsepower. Since horsepower is a function of torque and RPM, if you modified your motor, cam, intake, or maybe even exhaust, it's very likely your car will not reach maxHP until a higher RPM.
Well sure, but that requires much more work than just the ECU, right? So that when they offer to remove the rev limiter on "just the ECU" w/o anything else beind done, I worry. Unless of course they can affect all these things by just reprogramming, which seems a bit far fetched to me.
      05-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
ed021180
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

going with active

supercharging dme and full exhaust 630 rwhp screw all the other companies i already got shafted by shiv
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
supercharging dme and full exhaust 630 rwhp screw all the other companies i already got shafted by shiv
If you mean a SC kit will increase rear wheel hp to 630 in the E92 M3, you are sirously mistaken. The engine internals would probably need lots of modifications (low compression cylinders to say the least), not to mention larger injectors, larger fuel pump, larger intake, larger exhaust, sirious remaping, all sorts of intercoolers and probably turbos as SCs don't produce as much boost to take these cars up to say 700bhp (for 630 wheel hp) among other things.
      05-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
ed021180
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Buddy come to miami we do it

no shit i know
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
no shit i know
Well good for you! Why say it in the first place.
      06-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Hi guys,

just like to add to this.

Airflow on a dyno is not always an issue. As long as you have a powerful fan all is good.

Alot of people get misguided by RAM air effect or airflow. The amount of airflow required to physically force air into an engine is phenominal. Only at speeds of well over 150mph does ram air really start to take some effect. Even then, that effect is absolutely minimal.

You can read books on this stuff.

Therefore the engine is more than capable sucking in the amount of air that it needs to generate maximum horsepower/torque.

On a dyno the temperature of the air going into the intake system is what's important. Also the coolant temperatures are of most importance.

As a base test a car should be driven on the road and through the OBD port you can retrieve live information as to what the air intake temperatures are and what the coolant/oil temperatures are. On an M3 you can even have top and bottom hose radiator temperatures.

If, on a dyno that live information is the same or very close then a dyno session is highly likely to give you the correct reading.

The ECU will fuel as it did on the road and have ignition timing advance also exactly the same. Remember, the ECU fuels and advances or retards ignition timing based on the information it gets. It gets information from the sensors and if they are reading correctly then the conditions are no different on a dyno as to what they are on a road.

As far as getting power out of these engines from chip tuning - it's going to be limited.

What ever is possible, be it 10 bhp or 20 bhp, what ever it makes on a properly cooled dyno session it will replicate that on the road.

There are companies claiming some silly BHP from these engines already. I don't believe this personally. The E46 M3 was only ever capable of making around 12 bhp in reality from chip tuning but so many companies claimed 30 bhp (impossible). Even with ignition timing advanced to the absolute limit there was only ever 14 bhp.

What alot of tuner fail to realise is that the closer you reach to detonation the less difference each increment in ignition timing is going to make. As you advance timing further power actually starts dropping off before detonation occurs.

There is usually very little risk of damaging an engine with only a small amount of ignition timing advanced especially since there are knock sensors in most modern ECUs

What most people will feel from a chip tune is not outright BHP or torque. It's the adjustment made to the throttle map. Basically the responsiveness combined with the small increase in power makes the engine a little more driveable. Throttle maps will often be smoothed out a little more.

More aggressive chip tunes will have more ignition timing advance but you will have to use high octane fuel all of the time.

In isolation a chip tune has limited effect. Where is really comes into it's own is when done in conjunction with other modifications like headers or far more efficient intake systems. This is when more ignition advance may be required in places to take advance of the better flow charactersitics of the engine due to the upgrades.

A chip tune on standard car 'can' make a huge difference sometimes though. This I have seen many times on 'some' cars. If the engine has certain characteristics where it makes too much noise under a certain amount of load or loads then it may not pass the regulations for pass by noise. It may also be emissions related under certain loads.
If this happens then the manufacturers have no choice but to adhere to the rules and have to adjust the map to suit.
This may require retarding ignition timing in places. Doing this will create a flatspot. It will clearly evident to anyone who can look at the ignition maps.
If the map is simply smoothed out there will be gains to be had in those areas.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Nice way of putting it and thanks for the information.