BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlin Spring Rates-Alternatives

09-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Ohlin Spring Rates-Alternatives

I am curious what options there are to soften things up. Specifically I am curious if anyone has spec'd their M2 with Ohlins at a lower spring rate?

I am contemplating running them with 80N/mm for the front springs and 170 (or 160)N/mm on the rear. Has anyone else run a setup like this?

If I understand things the Ohlins are excellent in quality and performance but a little stiff for those of us that spend most of our time on the back roads and canyons; and street. On the M4 forum folks have swapped from 230N/mm rear to the lower spring rate offered for the M2= 190 N/mm springs in the rear and seem to like the result. Given that the M4 is a slightly heavier car it seems that softer springs might be ideal for true street and canyon use on the M2.
I contacted Jake at Ohlins and he responded...
"You can spec your rear spring as you see fit, however, our spring choice is a bit limited over the 120N/mm rate. 80N/mm will not be a problem. However, above the 120, we have the 190 and the 220 -that’s it. You are welcomed to purchase two aftermarket 170N/mm springs..... The 190N/mm stock rate is definitely on the racier side, so your 170N/mm totally within the range. What a lot of other people have been doing is lowering the rears rates to 160N/mm and keeping the front 90N/mm springs. But you can chose whatever (front) rates you would like. Thanks!"

So with that combined with the TC Kline coil over spring rates of 60N/mm front and 105 N/mm rear ; totally different valving I realize, but still it seems softer might be reasonable.

What do you guys think?????
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

What are the best settings for daily that?s a little hard so I would still enjoy track days without adjusting too much?
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 0