F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bought my F30 from CarMax 3 months ago and the paint began peeling - now what?
Studio RSR

09-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

I got my car 3 months ago and the bumper began peeling in a hurry within the past couple weeks. I have an appointment to bring it in October 2, but I have some questions should anyone have experience with this.

1. How should I make it crystal clear that, should any other part of the vehicle be damaged in the process of repairing the car, I do NOT want it fixed by their vendor without my permission? I can be flexible on where I have a bumper cover repaired, but not a fender or a quarter panel.

2. They will not let me know who their vendor(s) are prior to the appointment, but let me know they will share that info with me when I come in. I?ll have no issue taking my time to research their vendor, but should I find evidence their vendor has serious quality issues, is there anything I can do to get them to cover a better shop in California?

3. Would it be inappropriate to ask them if I supply an brand new aftermarket M Sport bumper and agree to cover the cost of any potential fitment issues, to have that painted and installed instead of my OEM bumper?

Thank you to anyone who has insight!
      09-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Did their vendor paint that or was it OEM?
      09-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

this isn't really a carmax warranty forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
VCuomo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sportline

My insight is: Read the warranty contract that you signed. Theoretically, you should have done that before you signed it and purchased the car...
Appreciate 2
jeffc83725.00
tex26702421.50
      09-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Did their vendor paint that or was it OEM?
It was a vendor that painted it. You can also see the abnormal amount of chipping in the front bumper after 6k miles. I give enough following distance for chipping to not be an issue... in fact, every new car I?ve ever had has left my possession with the front end and windshield nearly chip-free. The manager has essentially already agreed to fix it, but I’m trying to avoid any issues and make sure it’s done once, correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Thank you, super helpful.
      09-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I got my car 3 months ago and the bumper began peeling in a hurry within the past couple weeks.
That was the result of a cheap fix for the person who sold it to Carmax, or by carmax to sell it to you.

Clarify: You are bringing it to carmax to have them repair it? For free?

1. How should I make it crystal clear that, should any other part of the vehicle be damaged in the process of repairing the car, I do NOT want it fixed by their vendor without my permission? I can be flexible on where I have a bumper cover repaired, but not a fender or a quarter panel.

You just tell them.

2. They will not let me know who their vendor(s) are prior to the appointment, but let me know they will share that info with me when I come in. I?ll have no issue taking my time to research their vendor, but should I find evidence their vendor has serious quality issues, is there anything I can do to get them to cover a better shop in California?

Get an estimate with a body shop you DO trust. When you find out who they are going to use, look them up. Compare. Don't like who they are using? Ask for the money instead and use the one you do want. Be aware that this will wash their hands of any responsibility in the future of your warranty. Doesn't carmax have a 90 day? Kiss that goodbye of you use an outside shop.

3. Would it be inappropriate to ask them if I supply an brand new aftermarket M Sport bumper and agree to cover the cost of any potential fitment issues, to have that painted and installed instead of my OEM bumper?

Ask them.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
jeffc83725.00
tex26702421.50
      09-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
3Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
I got my car 3 months ago and the bumper began peeling in a hurry within the past couple weeks. I have an appointment to bring it in October 2, but I have some questions should anyone have experience with this.

Thank you to anyone who has insight!

It's a plastic bumper cover. The don't even have to repaint the whole thing. They can just repair the failing part.

About the M bumper, you can ask but expect a no. Asking never hurts.

From their perspective they already sold the car and warranty. Any other issues just costs them money and having to deal with your M request in an uncompensated headache.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

should've got a CPO. Most third party warranties suck. I brought a rental car once and the warranty was only for 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
should've got a CPO. Most third party warranties suck. I brought a rental car once and the warranty was only for 3 months.
Cpo wouldnt cover this anyways.
Appreciate 2
tex26702421.50
anotheran389.00
      09-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
luv135i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
I got my car 3 months ago and the bumper began peeling in a hurry within the past couple weeks.
That was the result of a cheap fix for the person who sold it to Carmax, or by carmax to sell it to you.

Clarify: You are bringing it to carmax to have them repair it? For free?

You just tell them.

Get an estimate with a body shop you DO trust. When you find out who they are going to use, look them up. Compare. Don't like who they are using? Ask for the money instead and use the one you do want. Be aware that this will wash their hands of any responsibility in the future of your warranty. Doesn't carmax have a 90 day? Kiss that goodbye of you use an outside shop.

Ask them.
This all sounds good but at the end of the day they are a used car lot. Most of them have a mobile auto recononditioning service that can respray bumpers in the parking lot, do pdr and recondition road rash. My local bmw dealer uses them and passes the markup on to thr customers. They resprayed my bumper and it looks great. Someone did a poor job on yours. At best thats all your going to get. When they tell you to drop it off on a certain day, its getting sprayed in the parkinglot/garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
why wouldn't cpo cover peeling paint if it's a defect? It won't cover it if it's due to an accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #12
luv135i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
why wouldn't cpo cover peeling paint if it's a defect? It won't cover it if it's due to an accident.
Cpo specifically states it does not cover paint or finish. Only original factory warranty covers paint defects.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCuomo View Post
My insight is: Read the warranty contract that you signed. Theoretically, you should have done that before you signed it and purchased the car...
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0