THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing I flipped my headrest around to get clearance for helmet

09-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
bobbeckster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, EBII, Red, MT, H-K, etc

I flipped my headrest around to get clearance for helmet

So I removed and re-inserted my headrest "backwards" to get more helmet room and now it seems way stuck. Any suggestions on how to get it out? I swear the posts look absolutely identical. I think others have had this problem but I don't see a fix on the forum. Regards and thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I saw a similar post awhile back. Think the guy had to have the dealer fix. I hate to say it, but I think they had to disassemble the seat....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I saw a similar post awhile back. Think the guy had to have the dealer fix. I hate to say it, but I think they had to disassemble the seat....
Found it:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...light=headrest
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
bobbeckster
United_States
Rep

OK i fixed it myself! I cut a shim piece out of a soda can and rolled it around the mounting tube. Then i wiggled it down the stuck mounting tubes and the latch tooth released and the headrest slide out super easy! Keep that in mind guys. B
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Glad to hear you fixed it yourself. Do you have pics of what you made to get the headrest unstuck?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
bobbeckster
United_States
Rep

Stuck headrest in backwards

Here is the tool I made from a piece of soda can
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeckster View Post
OK i fixed it myself! I cut a shim piece out of a soda can and rolled it around the mounting tube. Then i wiggled it down the stuck mounting tubes and the latch tooth released and the headrest slide out super easy! Keep that in mind guys. B
Legit!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
BM235iW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black Sapphire M235i

If what I'm doing is not allowed, moderator please remove.
I remembered a post by "kite" on 06/17/16 regarding an adjustable headrest. You can easily perform a search to find it. I'm mot sure of the correct way to link to a previous post so I'll just repost it here.

Hi all,

I just picked up an M235i, and while I like the car, my neck was getting sore from the non-adjustable headrests. While most people just recline the seat a bit more to fix this, I decided to take a slightly different approach. I previous had a 2013 328i and the headrests in that car were fine. I realized that the seat back frame in the F30 and F22 is the same, so I ordered a set of headrests from GetBMWParts.com. I cheaped out and got the Sensatec headrests because I wasn't sure and luckily, they match the black leather in my m235i perfectly.

When you look at them next to each other, the F30 headrests don't look a whole lot different. The posts are slightly taller, and they have a button on the side to release the tilt functionality. They slip directly in but sit a little higher than the stock headrests, unless you release the clip on the inside headrest post and then they drop down flush with the seat.

They sit quite a bit further back, relieving the pressure on my neck, which made me very happy. You can see in the pic that it is a completely different angle than the other one and doesn't protrude nearly as much. Makes a big difference to me. The actual replacement procedure is really easy - flip the seat forward, pull the headrest out until it stops, then hold the outer latch while reaching under the cover of the one on the inner side, there is another latch that, when released, releases the headrest. (you can slide a credit card in or use a feeler gauge to release it)

52107362623 body hardware, seats & tracks, driver seat components, headrest w/o leather, black

Was a little less than $140. Probably cheaper to find one at a junk yard or to find a used one, but I decided to get a new one so no one else's greasy head would be on it.

Use at your own risk, it's not the headrest that came with the car, my recommendation is not that of a medical or automotive professional and I didn't crash test it. yadda yadda.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Running the F30 headrests, they allow enough rear tilt to clear my helmet, just as needed. I got them from a forum member cheap, or else I may have held off...
Appreciate 1