BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Open Face Helmet Snell Approved

09-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Open Face Helmet Snell Approved

Hi,

I am looking for an open face helmet snell approved. Can you guys recommend a few good options?

I am going to shop at a local store which carries most of the brands (Stilo, OMP, Sparco, Zamp, etc.)

I also know that I need to try many of them to see the fit, but I am also looking advice on your experience as I will start track racing with my M2 next summer.

Thanks for your help!
      09-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Why open face? Have a look at Bell helmets.

In the UK an open face helmet will only be allowed for use in a closed canopy car, like your M2. However you?ll need a full face helmet to track an open top or convertibles.

You also have to consider the risk of facial injury with an open face helmet. If something goes wrong and you have a prang there is nothing to protect your looks.

IMHO invest in a full face helmet. You project your face & have the flexibility to drive both types of car.

Bell make good helmets. If you do go for the open face then the Mag 1 is good. Otherwise the GT5 for full race. Both are available as a ?rally? option with built in intercom.

I have an RS7 which is available in carbon.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Why open face? Have a look at Bell helmets.

In the UK an open face helmet will only be allowed for use in a closed canopy car, like your M2. However you?ll need a full face helmet to track an open top or convertibles.

You also have to consider the risk of facial injury with an open face helmet. If something goes wrong and you have a prang there is nothing to protect your looks.

IMHO invest in a full face helmet. You project your face & have the flexibility to drive both types of car.

Bell make good helmets. If you do go for the open face then the Mag 1 is good. Otherwise the GT5 for full race. Both are available as a ?rally? option with built in intercom.

I have an RS7 which is available in carbon.
Open face because I will only drive my M2

Thanks for feedback on Bell. They looked very good. I need to try them.

BTW, how reliable are the measuring charts?
      09-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
I respect your right to choose but I think your making a massive mistake!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Benzima1322.00
      09-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
I respect your right to choose but I think your making a massive mistake!
Dammit
      09-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Isn't that impact zone for a motorcycle rider? Which I agree, you have to have a closed face helmet
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Uhhhh. I really didn't need to see that picture!

Also, keep in mind, some tracks MANDATE full face helmets. My local track does.
qnet676.00
      09-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

I also advocate the full face helmets. Plus, open face helmets look a bit silly to me.

First thing I would suggest you take a look at is the helmets rating. Make sure it is snell SA rated - most mainstream helmets should be. I assume you'll be tracking, so also ensure the date is adequate as many organizations will not allow older helmets. Be wary that even new helmets are sometimes sold at discount but because of an old production date.

Beyond the rating system, fit and creature comforts come next. Fit is a personal thing and creature comforts generally correlate with helmet costs.

I would add Bell and Arai to your list. I'm a big fan of Arai's because of the fit and quality and am currently on my third model.

Last edited by dvas; 09-14-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'd suggest going with a Snell SA rated helmet, not an M rated one (SA is for special applications - i.e. road racing, while M is for motorcycle). You'll pay more for an SA helmet but it should be more widely accepted.

I've needed SA rated helmets for track days, my local BMW Club chapter and another local organizer don't allow M rated helmets. I'd go with a full helmet, open face helmets have been allowed for events I've attended but I don't see the advantages given the reduced protection.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #10
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I'd suggest going with a Snell SA rated helmet, not an M rated one (SA is for special applications - i.e. road racing, while M is for motorcycle). You'll pay more for an SA helmet but it should be more widely accepted.

I've needed SA rated helmets for track days, my local BMW Club chapter and another local organizer don't allow M rated helmets. I'd go with a full helmet, open face helmets have been allowed for events I've attended but I don't see the advantages given the reduced protection.
You're right, typo, now edited.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post

I need SA rated actually. I am going for open face since:
- my local BMW chapter allows them
- I am not planning on track racing convertibles
      09-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So there is a Conquer brand of rally SA rated helmets. I got one. This is the style with the mic boom coming from the one side. From the documentation , looks like a bell spinoff of some kind. I like it. Stupid cheap, comfortable and SA2015 approved. I bought it just to try it out. Got it through amazon.

To the full face crowd, if you're in a closed cockpit car with harnesses, it seems like overkill. Look at the rally guys. That's some of the highest probability of impact driving there is, and that's fia approved. They go plenty fast.

I instruct, and after trying this helmet, much prefer this style. Easier to talk, and less beat up at the end of the day. It's even got cut outs for an intercom system built in.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:44 AM   #13
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
My thinking is you should try all the good brands. Fit is the main factor which means comfort. So best not to do mail order/internet. The charts are reasonable accurate but not all head shapes are the same even if circumference is. I use both open face (rally - Stilo with intercom) and closed (track open car - Arai and Stilo). The other thing you can get a feel for it you try in in person is the size of the shell. If you are in the middle range size some manufacturers will be using a bigger shell for the same inside sizing.

See what you like.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Open Face Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Hi,

I am looking for an open face helmet snell approved. Can you guys recommend a few good options?

I am going to shop at a local store which carries most of the brands (Stilo, OMP, Sparco, Zamp, etc.)

I also know that I need to try many of them to see the fit, but I am also looking advice on your experience as I will start track racing with my M2 next summer.

Thanks for your help!
I use an Arai GP-J3 with a Snell SAH rating. It is an open face and works well for me as a Novice.

Last edited by chief1richard; 03-23-2018 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
Benzima1322.00
      09-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
There have been rumors swirling around for the past few years that some major clubs will start to go full-face only for their HPDEs; mostly I've heard this around PCA events.

For that reason alone, I went full-face this time even though I hate full-face helmets (because I wear glasses and they make it a huge pain in the ass).

I tried on several options at my local race shop, and the Arai felt the best, so that's what I went with (even though Arai was a lot more than I initially wanted to spend).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn View Post
So there is a Conquer brand of rally SA rated helmets. I got one. This is the style with the mic boom coming from the one side. From the documentation , looks like a bell spinoff of some kind. I like it. Stupid cheap, comfortable and SA2015 approved. I bought it just to try it out. Got it through amazon.

To the full face crowd, if you're in a closed cockpit car with harnesses, it seems like overkill. Look at the rally guys. That's some of the highest probability of impact driving there is, and that's fia approved. They go plenty fast.

I instruct, and after trying this helmet, much prefer this style. Easier to talk, and less beat up at the end of the day. It's even got cut outs for an intercom system built in.

I am on my third (or is it fourth?) full face helmet currently.

My primary helmet is wired for track instruction and I've considered an open face helmet as a spare for Autocross, Except airbags.

If my track car didn't have an airbag, I would feel more comfortable about an open face helmet.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #17
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:

To each his/her own and it is their face/life, but despite what WRC does, I would argue that most HPDE drivers are not in a car with the same amount of safety gear as WRC even if they are running harness. Even in a fully prepped enclosed race car bad things can happen. To the best of my knowledge Dale Earnhardt's death was caused by an impact to his jaw which would have likely been less severe with a full face helmet.

I not only think everyone should wear a full face helmet, but we should all be keeping our visors down as well. I break this rule myself from time to time but the chances of an object hitting me in the face on track with the widows down or objects flying through the cockpit/windshield in an accident/incident are high enough that we shouldn't risk it.

I will put it this way, if the danger is high enough that you should wear head protection, why would you wear head protection that doesn't protect the parts of your head that you use everyday to see, smell, communicate and eat? The actual protection far outweighs the slight discomfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #18
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Stupid cheap, comfortable and SA2015 approved. I bought it just to try it out. Got it through amazon.
Yikes - what’s your noggin worth???
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Check out racequip, I paid $250 CDN for it and it's SA2015. I wouldn't do anything but a full face. If you shunt your car at the track, chances are it will be a lot faster than what BMW tested the car at. The airbag will end up not doing anything for you and you'll end up eating the steering wheel. It's not like they're uncomfortable. Try on many, many helmets and find one that's comfortablele
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:07 AM   #20
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Yikes - what’s your noggin worth???
whats in a more expensive helmet that will protect your head more than the helmet that guy got or my racequip sa2015 helmet?

im not trying to be snarky, im just curious. the more expensive ones are made out of carbon fiber, so were a little lighter than the "normal ones" but i tried a lot of sa2015 helmets at a simpson booth at a local nhra drag race and they didnt feel any lighter. there was a lot more adjustability in the different cushions, but my racequip fits me very well.

the selling points on most of the helmets on simpsons website is that its snell sa2015 rated and that some models offer options, not for safety, but for various things like communications.

that being said, when sa2020 models come out, im definitely getting a matte black simpson bandit helmet. not for safety, just that it looks badass, and the new certification will give me a reason to justify it to the wife

to the op, i have sa2010 open face racequip helmet that fits me well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #21
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

I have multiple helmets and went through this process years ago when I first got into autocross, and then again when track days came common. Different makes fit different heads better. Go to a shop and test fit the brands and sizes that work for you. If you then want to save some $$, shop on line. I've got a GForce M2005 helmet first which is now my wife's helmet, and then a Pyrotect SA helmet which is my regular helmet but is due to be replaced since many track groups, Optima, Goodguys, One Lap and other groups now want newer certification. As for open versus full face, open is certainly cooler, less prone to affect peripheral view, and easier to get glasses into, but I've always had full face helmets and feel that if an airbag deployed or something came through the windshield, the added safety was worth the trade off of heat. I've always used sunglasses which have rigid arms, and don't feel the loss of periphery has affected me. As for Carbon Fiber, there are those that look like CF and real CF helmets which are much lighter, and probably a big consideration if you were tracking extended stints like Lemons, or WTW racing where you could go a long time in the seat.
      03-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #22
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
whats in a more expensive helmet that will protect your head more than the helmet that guy got or my racequip sa2015 helmet?
Probably nothing - it’s just my mindset. After years of racing and autocrossing and seeing too many drivers get upside-down or stuff their cars into a wall, I’m naturally suspicious of no-name or relatively unknown safety products. This is complicated by the fact that I sometimes review and test consumer products and have seen many that are “certified” or “approved” by an independent testing lab that do not meet the appropriate standards or later are recalled for life-threatening manufacturing defects. (None fall within the realm of driver safety, BTW.)

So, when it comes to things like helmets, my inclination is to spend a little more and go for the big names; Racequip is certainly one of those, and there are some good helmets from them and other companies for less than $200. I also would not buy an open-face helmet, knowing that an airbag, steering wheel and door panel are just waiting to smash into my face. But that’s my personal choice.
Appreciate 1