E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Initialization steps following battery replacement

09-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
dieselgg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 335i

Initialization steps following battery replacement

Following a battery replacement, other than registering a battery, do the following items require reinitialization/reset?:

- steering angle sensor
- regulators for the power windows
- sunroof

Has anyone not reset the aforementioned items and had no subsequent issues?

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgg View Post
Following a battery replacement, other than registering a battery, do the following items require reinitialization/reset?:

- steering angle sensor
- regulators for the power windows
- sunroof

Has anyone not reset the aforementioned items and had no subsequent issues?

Regards,
In my case I didn't have to reinitialize anything. I just swapped the battery out and registered it with the system and was good to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
dieselgg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 335i

Thanks for the reply jeddo45.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I installed the OEM alarm system, so battery was disconnected. Everything reinitialized by themselves after about 20 miles of driving
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I have replaced my supposedly dying 2008 battery when it was little over 9y old to fix clock and trip odometer zeroing out and the driver side mirror readjusting itself. I install newer 2012 battery that was replacedone only because it was part of the recommended maintenance. The battery was properly married to the car. All was good for couple of months then the problems reappeared with exception of the driver rear view mirror which I have not noticed happening again. Maybe I need new battery. Maybe I need new IBS. Maybe bad module is draining get the battery.

Regarding the steering angle: I had that fault code. I did not even knew until notice that brakes are weird and scanned it.
Regarding the sunroof: it was not closing completely and I had to force it to re learn the procedure.
Regarding the windiws: I have not noticed anything different than prior battery replacement

My guess is that these car are finicky and is better for initialization procedures to be performed because there is no telling which modules will get affected during the battery dying and battery replacement process.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Clock - Reset

Radio - Reset presets etc. if necessary - typically nothing to do here...

Steering Angle Sensor - Reset with BMW Scan Tool or equivalent (most likely required for cars with Active Steering). For cars without I believe you can start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock 3 times (left lock to right lock) starting with the steering wheel on center and ending on center to calibrate steering angle

Power Windows - Initialize as follows. Switch ignition on and close window completely and release the window button. Next, hold window button in the closed position (pull up) for approximately 1 second. Next, open the Window completely and release the button. Next, press the button down in the open direction again for approximately 1 second. Finally, close window completely and release the window button. Then, one last time, hold window button in the closed position (pull up) for approximately 1 second. After this you can check and verify the one touch up / down feature works if you like. Do this for each window in the car.

Sunroof - Switch ignition on and then press and hold the sunroof tilt button in the raised position. After it reaches the raised / tilt position, keep pressing the button for approximately 15 - 20 more seconds - the roof will go through a complete open and close cycle. The cycle is complete when the roof returns to the closed position. You may see a sunroof warning on the dash during this process - you may ignore it.

Compass - With the car on in an open parking lot or similar, Insert a small screwdriver or paperclip into the small hole on the bottom right side of the rear view mirror and hold it their until you see N /W/ S /E (whatever is currently displaying) becomes a "C" - when you see this, drive the car slowly in a small circle at approximately 10 MPH until the "C" goes away and is replaced by the compass direction.
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
feuer4277.00