BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Howdy from the Wild West!

09-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Howdy from the Wild West!

Thought I'd register on the site and say hello from wet Devon. Had a test drive of a manual M2 yesterday and it was a great experience, way better to drive than I expected and it's made my mind up its going to be my next car. I did have an order in for a Focus RS but cancelled due to engine issues and the fact Ford seem to be sticking their fingers in their ears over it, otherwise a performance bargain.

Probably going to go for an LCI car, although the test drive was in a pre LCI which Id be happy with. Definitely a manual, I'm a dinosaur and don't like autos! Colour not sure at the moment but not white, I like to give my cars some tlc and a nice shine. Manual seats, only me driving it so can't see the point of the electric ones. Otherwise not sure what other options are worth getting, seems pretty well specced from base.

Planning to buy in Nov/Dec when sales are quiet, hopefully I'll be able to pick up a deal. The dealer was keen for me to sign up there and then no surprise and when I mentioned discounts he said it would be 2% max, I'm sure I can do better! He had 4 cars I could have had in a week and a build slot for Nov for delivery Dec so doesn't seem to be much of a wait for one.

Any advice on options to go for or deals/discounts then I would be very grateful for the help.

Anyone else down here in the sticks?

Cheers, Phil
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Hi Phil. Welcome.

Discounts all over the place mate. 10% easily achievable now.

Not certain if they are pre-reg or non-LCI only but took me a minute or two of Googling to find something.

Best of luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers fella, I'd hoped someone would say that regarding discounts! An easy 4%off with Broadspeed so hoping for a bit more. Buying cars down here is definitely more expensive though, dealers seem to think they have a captive audience as choice is limited. I'll travel a bit if I have to though to save a few quid.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #4
swanny71
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M135i

Hi Phil, and welcome.
I'm also in Devon, also looking for a manual M2 but I'll be after a lightly used example. Where did you get your test drive, I'm struggling to find a manual to sample.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Swanny, Ocean BMW in Plymouth. Can't fault them, they were very helpful and are quite happy for you to have a proper test drive if you know what I mean! The car was at Truro I think and they brought it to Plymouth so they can move it about if there's somewhere closer to you.

I'm not 100% on a new one, I'll see if there are any pre reg, low milers which fit the bill in a couple of months. I'm also trying the ex military sales to what they offer.

Where abouts are you?
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #6
swanny71
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M135i

Thanks Phil, I'm in Lifton, Devon.

Will give Ocean a call, see if they can help - what colour was it? I'm ex-RN so would also be interested in any discounts they might offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 06:08 AM   #7
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep

Ex RN, never mind mate I'm sure it's not scarred you too much drinking all that rum! I always liked the colour blue so went for the RAF or as I liked to think of myself a civvy in uniform.

I'm not that far away in Bere Alston.

As far as I understand it you can only get the military discount from BMW Park Lane. No other dealer can give the discount apparently.

http://bmw-ukforces.co.uk/login?utm_...ces%20Discount

I've registered today just waiting for the account to be verified. Worth a try though.

Cheers Phil
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny71 View Post
Thanks Phil, I'm in Lifton, Devon.

Will give Ocean a call, see if they can help - what colour was it? I'm ex-RN so would also be interested in any discounts they might offer.
Sorry mate, just noticed you asked about colour, it was LBB. I've contacted BMW park lane so I'll let you know what they say regarding discounts.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hi there OP. Glad you enjoyed the test drive. Discount should be nearer 10% now as others have said.

My local still has 4 pre reg for sale at discount.
      09-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Chris, good to know. I'm seeng what discount I can get going the ex-forces route, speaking to the dealer in the morning so I'll aim high and go for more than 10%! This will be on an LCI car so whether it's achievable who knows. They have said that delivery would be March 18 though which isn't a problem, would be worth the wait I think!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      09-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Howzer73
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

You are definitely making the right choice I have just swapped out of a MK3 Focus RS. Great car but the M2 is a different league in terms of driver enjoyment. The focus was blindingly fast on a B road but to get it to really come alive you were in the "lock you up and throw away the key territory" and the car didn't breathe with the road at low speed round town. The M2 is much more rounded. I have the manual M2 and the gearbox is night and day nicer to use as well.

I went pre-owned and higher mileage as I do less miles with multiple cars in the family only a few pounds a month more than the focus. I went for the best spec so got one with the mSport carbon diffuser, black grilles etc and the msport exhaust so made a tidy saving with 2 years warranty and the 5 year servicing on it as well. Just got to pay for batteries for the bluetooth dongle as I use it alot.

Enjoy best decision I have made in ages.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      09-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howzer73 View Post
You are definitely making the right choice I have just swapped out of a MK3 Focus RS. Great car but the M2 is a different league in terms of driver enjoyment. The focus was blindingly fast on a B road but to get it to really come alive you were in the "lock you up and throw away the key territory" and the car didn't breathe with the road at low speed round town. The M2 is much more rounded. I have the manual M2 and the gearbox is night and day nicer to use as well.

I went pre-owned and higher mileage as I do less miles with multiple cars in the family only a few pounds a month more than the focus. I went for the best spec so got one with the mSport carbon diffuser, black grilles etc and the msport exhaust so made a tidy saving with 2 years warranty and the 5 year servicing on it as well. Just got to pay for batteries for the bluetooth dongle as I use it alot.

Enjoy best decision I have made in ages.
Sounds like a great choice. I had 2 (!) RSs in order but ended up cancelling both. Couldn't quite do it after 15 years of BMW
      09-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Howzer73
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Sounds like a great choice. I had 2 (!) RSs in order but ended up cancelling both. Couldn't quite do it after 15 years of BMW
I had the M380 pack on my RS with a full Mountune exhaust and I still think the M2 drivetrain is night and day superior.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      09-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #14
petay135
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

I am loving my DCT LCI M2, I think it might be the best thing I have ever driven when considering realistic accessible performance and feedback.

Last car but one prior to this was an UG MR375 Mk2 RS which was incredible but started to melt ecu's so I moved it on reluctantly. I love 5cyl engines
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:09 AM   #15
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Really? I have both the M2 and MK3 RS and come the weekend I find myself picking up the keys to RS every time.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:08 AM   #16
petay135
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Congrats on having both, I respect your views but in the same position I can't imagine making the same choice
Appreciate 0