E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No Xenon Headlight low or high beams - please help

09-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 6spd MT

No Xenon Headlight low or high beams - please help

Hi there,

This is my first BMW so please excuse my ignorance. I got my E92 used with a well documented service history for a great price. The car runs and drives great. Has some issues. One of them is the headlights. It has xenon adaptive headlights. But neither the low or high beams come on. At first, I thought maybe its the ballasts but that dosent affect the high beams.

The car has a new alternator and battery prior to my ownership. I found some info that said a jump start might possibly short out the FRM?

Theres a indicator light on the dash regarding the headlights not functioning properly but a simple ODB scanner did not turn up any codes. Will a more sophisticated OBD reader provide more information regarding whats triggering the indicator or is this a dealer visit thing?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by 68vert; 09-16-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Depending on your level of comfort, there are several BMW scan tools out there that get you information without needing a dealer.

There is a Bavarian technic (BT) cable and software that looks straightforward and comprehensive.

Another option is an OBD dongle and app, there are a few options but a popular one is Carly for BMW. You can read error codes, program ("code") certain car functions, and some other things from your phone or tablet.

Finally, you can look into the coding forum and get some bootleg INPA software and a ~$20 to ~$100 cable from various online sources. This gives you dealer level software tools, generally without warranty, support, or fitness of use. You'll be able to read errors, code features, learn German and brick modules.

It would be a good start to read the BMW specific codes. The errors are usually somewhat descriptive and can lead you toward the solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
Depending on your level of comfort, there are several BMW scan tools out there that get you information without needing a dealer.

There is a Bavarian technic (BT) cable and software that looks straightforward and comprehensive.

Another option is an OBD dongle and app, there are a few options but a popular one is Carly for BMW. You can read error codes, program ("code") certain car functions, and some other things from your phone or tablet.

Finally, you can look into the coding forum and get some bootleg INPA software and a ~$20 to ~$100 cable from various online sources. This gives you dealer level software tools, generally without warranty, support, or fitness of use. You'll be able to read errors, code features, learn German and brick modules.

It would be a good start to read the BMW specific codes. The errors are usually somewhat descriptive and can lead you toward the solution.
Thank you for the reply. Bavarian Technic is one that has yet to come up in any of my searches. Their software looks like its real user friendly but a little on the pricey side. But I guess that comes with the territory. thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
PalestineM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
Thank you for the reply. Bavarian Technic is one that has yet to come up in any of my searches. Their software looks like its real user friendly but a little on the pricey side. But I guess that comes with the territory. thanks again
I dont understand the issue, neither your low beam or high beam works? Does the cornering light work? Angel eyes? If yes it could be you simply need a new bulb/ballast explain your issue a bit further. And do not worry, you can jump these cars just like any other.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalestineM3 View Post
Quote:
I dont understand the issue, neither your low beam or high beam works? Does the cornering light work? Angel eyes? If yes it could be you simply need a new bulb/ballast explain your issue a bit further. And do not worry, you can jump these cars just like any other.
Not from the trunk/boot.

You can fry the IBS this way and cause other damage.

BMW tells you to use the under hood points for jump starts to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalestineM3 View Post
Neither the low or high beams come on. The angel eyes come on and the high beam light comes on briefly when the blinkers are initiated. I'm gonna remove the bumper cover to access the headlights so to check the headlights out.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
PalestineM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Neither the low or high beams come on. The angel eyes come on and the high beam light comes on briefly when the blinkers are initiated. I'm gonna remove the bumper cover to access the headlights so to check the headlights out.
try replacing the bulb and ballast. I believe it is the DS1 xenon bulb our cars use.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update: I replaced both bulbs and ballasts. Now I have lights but still an indicator light on the dash. The left headlight definitely has a bad SMC because its pointing at the ground right in font of the car.

I'm guessing at some point I need to try my hand at coding the FRM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Did you get an INPA/NCS setup working? Can you read the codes? If the SMC module hasn't failed (or if you install a replacement from a different car) you just have to "default code" the L/R SMC using NCSExpert

Check out the second post on this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117724

It does not matter if you get a left or right SMC if you plan to default code it. Otherwise, if you do not have NCS and just want to pop one in from a junkyard you need to match left or right etc.

There are different versions so you'll want to try to match the part numbers. I ended up getting an eBay headlight that was cracked and the module was the prior version to what came off my car. Still worked, no problem following the procedure that I linked.

Last edited by djh2; 09-29-2017 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
68vert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Being new to the whole BMW thing, I'm a little indecisive about which coding software to buy. I really like the straight forwardness of the Bavarian Tehnic software but a little pricey. I see Bimmergeeks is on here a lot and has good reviews.

I'll be running it on a older laptop with Windows Vista. So that will be a consideration as well.

My plan is buy a cable and software to read the codes. I have a strong feeling at least the drivers side SMC is out. Hopefully its just that one side and not both. Then use the software to program the FRM.

But thank you djh2 for the info. Its been very helpful for a newb to the BMW world.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
No problem, this forum is a great wealth of knowledge and community full of help.

I've recently been through replacing a failed SMC so I don't mind helping you out.
Appreciate 0