E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Product Review - UK/North American Custom Covers (E91 Cargo Liner)

09-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

Product Review - UK/North American Custom Covers (E91 Cargo Liner)

I've recently replaced my 01 B5 Passat with a 2011 E91. Because the cargo area is frequently used to transport both my dog and garden supplies (not typically at the same time) I started looking into cargo liners. I wanted a liner that covered all carpeted areas, to keep the dog hair and dirt from becoming a permanent addition to the carpet.

I came across three products which seemed to suit my requirements
1. Rhino UK - https://rhinoukbootlinersltd.co.uk/b...ped-1923-p.asp - My preferred option. It was inexpensive and very customizable. You can choose the colour, a bib to cover the top of the rear seats, a bumper guard, as well as add a cushion to the base. Unfortunately they do not ship outside of the EU.
2. Canvasback - http://www.canvasback.com/index.php/...2006-2011.html - I came across a VERY detailed Audi review ( https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...liner-2810862/ ) and was suitably impressed with the product. There were a few drawbacks, in my opinion. The base starts at $170, and by the time you add the sides and bumper guard, you're looking at $240 USD before shipping. Canvas back will ship to Canada, but they don't specify the carrier, and state that the buyer is responsible for all customs & duties. I've bought frequently enough from the 'states to know this means they probably use UPS. Prior to contacting Canvasback for more information, or arranging to ship to a US address, I looked for alternatives.
3. UK Custom Covers - https://www.ukcustomcovers.com/custo...e91-2005--2012 - They also have North American distribution and sell through Amazon - https://north-american-custom-covers...04-to-2012-035 - I ended up purchasing a UK/NA Custom Cover due to its cost (less than half the price of Canvasback) and availability through Amazon.ca.

1. Shipping 10/10: I purchased the Cover through Amazon on Thurs before the Labour Day long weekend, and it arrived on the following Wednesday. Americans may not be impressed by this speed, but in Canada, that is the equivalent of Amazon Prime speed (I am located outside of Toronto and Vancouver). For Canada at least, the depot appears to be in Nova Scotia. Although this may make sense if the product is being shipped from the UK, it is a bit odd as most warehouses are located along the Montreal/Toronto corridor. This may be different for the US.

2. Install 8/10: The install instructions are text-only and come on a couple of A4 pages. They are well-written (no Engrish) and easy enough to follow, but a few pictures wouldn't hurt to make it easier to follow along on the process.

The entire liner and instructions is kept in this convenient bag:

The liner comes as one piece, with a long strip of velcro that you will need to cut into smaller strips. There is a warning not to substitute the velcro provided, as the included velcro is apparently special, as it is able to retain its adhesion to the car at 85C.

The first step is lay out the base of the cargo liner and push two padded straps behind the front seats. Then pull the seats into place.

Then cut 5x2" strips of velcro and align them with the velcro points on the cargo liner, and stick them to the carpet.

Once the base is in place, attach the liner to the seat backs by strapping the velcro around the headrest posts. These need to be undone when dropping the rear seats. This also means that the cargo liner doesn't cover ~20cm of the back of the seat, when the seats are folded forward.

An elastic around the left compartment holds up part of the drivers side of the cover.

Tie downs on both the left and right side of the cover attach to the posts for the rear seats, holding up the front of the two side covers. I attached them using a standard bow, since its easier to undo, but then again I'm a "Don't know knots, tie lots" kind of guy.

Use a 2" and 5" strip of velcro to hold up the remainder of the drivers side liner.

The passenger side is installed the same as the drivers side, with one exception; There is no door compartment on the passenger side, so 5x2" strips of velcro are used to hold up the passenger side of the liner.

This is what it looked like when I was done (looks pretty nice to me)

It took me ~30 minutes from start to finish, but part of that was dry fitting the cargo liner, reading the instructions, checking the next few lines to make sure what I was doing matched up, then finally performing that step. Adding a few pictures along the way would speed this up.

3. Function 8/10: I'd consider the liner a medium thickness vinyl and water-resistant, but its still new so I'm not certain if that's a surface treatment that will wear off or a function of the fabric itself.The build quality is pretty good considering the cost, but it isn't "laser fit". (or whatever weathertech calls their design)

Unlike either the Rhino Liner or Canvasback, it doesn't have any access holes for any of the pre-installed trunk features, like hooks or power outlets. This isn't really bothersome for me, since I prefer as few holes as possible to keep as much dirt out of the actual carpet as possible, but can see how this could be problematic for others.

I'd like to physically compare the UK Custom Cover with the Canvasback, as it is difficult to compare the quality based on photos and words alone. The Canvasback appears to be made of thicker materiel, and with more precision, but I'm not convinced that it is worth the additional cost. This may be a different cost proposition for Americans, who do not have to deal with shipping or the exchange rate, especially as Canvasback often has 20-40% off sales throughout the year.

Bonus:
Here's the previous ride:

And current ride:
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
e91prof
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E91

Even though your post was from 5 years ago, thanks very much for taking the time to describe your experience with this cargo liner. I am looking to dog proof a 2012 E91 which I recently purchased. Your post was very helpful.
Appreciate 0