E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Missing brake wear sensors (brake + 4x4) light HELP PLEASE

09-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Missing brake wear sensors (brake + 4x4) light HELP PLEASE

Sorry if this has been addressed

I recently purchased a 06 330xi. The car runs great, brakes work great but there was a red "brake" light on dash. As well as 4x4! I was changing headlights when i noticed the front driverside brake wear sensor was just dangling there.

I went to closest autostore and bought one. Got home changed it with a breeze and went to other side to see its completely gone. So I checked the rear and same thing, completely non existent.

After I changed the one I reset the fault code through carly and on dash. The RED light turned to YELLOW. Im changing the rest this weekend but out of curiousity which I can not find in any of my searches I am lead here to ask:

Can this lead to the 4x4! Light being on, or can I assume its completely seperate issue and look further into the issue?

I have no ABS light on, no fault codes on dash other then yellow brake light and cc-id 351 and 354

My bluetooth is non existent as well as my cruise control being disabled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Acornell77; 09-10-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Hi There are only 2 sensors , one on the back and one front so what you have is correct. Not sure on your 4x4 error though sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
You should only have a sensor on the left front and right rear for the brake pads. For the 4x4 light, that might be for the steering angle sensor. Try calibrating by turning the wheel all the way in both directions, this should clear the light.
      09-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep

First off thank you both for the replies. Just saved me $40 and the work involved.

That makes sense. I was a little upset to see them missing. Ive tried to collaborate the steering wheel angle sensor but no luck. Hoping to try smaller things I can DIY because that angle sensor seems extensive and not something I would want to do myself.

So if all brakes are ok and sensors are ok, why would I still have a yellow light on dash after reset and codes cleared?

Not sure if its worth mentioning my battery is running 14.2 running and holding 11.7 after sitting the night I had to reset airbag/seatbelt codes and register battery
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I decided to try to calibrate the steering wheel sensor one last time. Well this time it worked, but only for about 5 minutes.

I was super happy thinking I was all set pulled in my driveway and it turned back on. My assumption is the angle sensor needs to be replaced but if any of you have any input on this that would be greatly appreciated

EDIT UPDATE:

I can duplicate the problem. I can get lights too turn off and stay off for as long as im driving, the moment I come to a hill to stop is when the lights turn back on. I kmow there is assisted start with braking system but not sure what can be causing this. Im documenting this so if anyone else might have similar problems. This is NOT tge trifecta brake,abs,4x4 issue.

Last edited by Acornell77; 09-11-2017 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Skilfoy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acornell77 View Post
So I decided to try to calibrate the steering wheel sensor one last time. Well this time it worked, but only for about 5 minutes.

I was super happy thinking I was all set pulled in my driveway and it turned back on. My assumption is the angle sensor needs to be replaced but if any of you have any input on this that would be greatly appreciated

EDIT UPDATE:

I can duplicate the problem. I can get lights too turn off and stay off for as long as im driving, the moment I come to a hill to stop is when the lights turn back on. I kmow there is assisted start with braking system but not sure what can be causing this. Im documenting this so if anyone else might have similar problems. This is NOT tge trifecta brake,abs,4x4 issue.
I'm having this same problem. Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

probably not without a way to talk canbus with the car.

which if you're having similar issues I would highly recommend you sort out with a kdcan adapter and INPA/ISTA/Protool
Appreciate 0