E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > disassemble dmtl pump?

09-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

disassemble dmtl pump?

I replaced my DMTL pump about a year ago, and yesterday it threw another code. I still have my old bad one, and I was wondering how I could take it apart to figure out what's causing them to go bad so quickly, and possibly fix it so I can replace the bad one on my car now (again).

Just for clarification, I read some other posts saying they usually go bad while filling up the fuel tank. The fuel tank would get too full and some fuel will get into the pump and cause it to go bad. This isn't what happened to me. I had filled up the tank about a week ago and my car was at 3/4 full when the pump went bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

There was a thread about rebuilding the DMTL not too long ago, I'll see if I can find it, but I think the OP said it worked for a while then failed again :c
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, since I have 2 bad ones, if I can get them working for a little while before they fail again, I can probably just indefinitely swap them back and forth. The actual work required to replace them isn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

The thread is here, about half way down the page on Dec. 14, 2010 user 330icanadian said:

2006 330i

After overfilling the gas tank once, the check-engine-light came on within a day or two. The OBD code reader led me to the DMTL pump, which I think is a vacuum pump that sucks the fumes from the top of the gas tank near the filler cap. With the help of the diagram earlier on this thread, I found it and removed it.

Partial disassembly (unsprung the 6 or so plastic clips around the plastic housing) revealed a small 12V DC motor. Applying 12V to the motor terminals resulted in turning the motor, but the action was not smooth. I was able to get it apart further, eventually taking apart the tiny vane pump - a circular rotor with 4 sliding inserts, all made of black plastic. I lightly lubed the rotating parts with some motor oil, and reassembled. Testing it with 12V DC gave a better action and sound. I then reinstalled to the car, reset the OBD codes with the code reader/resetter and it's been fault free for the last week or so!

My guess is that when I overfilled the gas tank, liquid gasoline was ingested by the pump, which would have had the effect of washing away any lubricant from the internal surfaces of the vacuum pump parts, causing it to run slowly or seize once it dried. Will let you know if the lube job holds or not!

Jan.13.2011. Update: Still no check engine light, no faults, for a month now.

June.29.2011 Update: Kept throwing P1447 codes for last few months, so bought a new replacement DMTL pump online, installed it today, reset OBD. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

cool thanks
Appreciate 0