ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
DoctorH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 sDrive28i

2005 Roadster alarm system

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2005 BMW Z4 2.5i roadster. It appears to have the premium package (leather, wood grain, automatic top, 5 speed automatic with step-tronic) plus fog lamps and bluetooth. There is a round plastic bulb under the rearview mirror. My driver's manual says it is part of the theft alarm system and should blink when the alarm system is activated when the car is locked. Mine doesn’t blink and I can open the trunk with a key without triggering an alarm. Apparently the alarm system is an option. I would think that the car would have an alarm system since it has all the other bells and whistles. My dealer dismissed my inquiry by saying the alarm system was never added to this car (the CarFax report tells me the dealer bought the car at an auction). This is the same dealer who told me the car wasn't Bluetooth enabled but I discovered it was on my own. How can I find out if there is an alarm system installed? Could the previous owner have disabled it? Am I out of luck?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Both my M roadster and my 335i have the same little red bulb on the bottom of the mirror. The 335i does not have an alarm and the light never does anything. About a minute and a half after I lock the M, the light starts blinking slowly and dimly. The M does have an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I believe the dealer can program the rubber thingie ("clown nose" as it is often referred) to flash the red light after the doors are locked. This can be done even without the presence of an alarm system.

Mine flashes red, but no alarm. Alarms are a PITA and don't really help anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

You are right - alarms are a PITA and mostly ignored. However, the sticker for my M says it has an alarm - I just don't know which it is - the regular one or the motion sensitive one.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
You are right - alarms are a PITA and mostly ignored. However, the sticker for my M says it has an alarm - I just don't know which it is - the regular one or the motion sensitive one.
the sticker on your M says it has the Alarm prewires. which means its prewired for the alarm. unfortunately, no alarm buddy
Appreciate 0