BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Retrofit Wireless charging pad

09-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
pixlplague
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 M-Sport (G30)

Retrofit Wireless charging pad

Title says it all. The Cellphone connectivity option wasn't available on my car, so now I'm looking into retrofitting parts of it. CarPlay and Enhanced Bluetooth seem to be codable, I couldn't care less about the wifi hotspot, but as far as the wireless charging goes, obviously it's hardware related.

I think I've found the part on RealOEM, but I'm just curious how difficult the installation would be? I mean, I can live with a USB cable to charge, but the wireless thing is so much more convenient...

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I can't speak for how hard can it be to retrofit it but as a wireless charger user it's very convenient and neat way of charging your devices .My phones don't support it but I can easily charge my Display Key without hassle and it won't overcharge itself either
      09-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Difficult is a relative term, which depends on your skillset.

For Carplay, you have to make sure vehicle has wifi aerial antenna. Enhanced Bluetooth can be coded without additional hardware.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
pixlplague
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 M-Sport (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Difficult is a relative term, which depends on your skillset.

For Carplay, you have to make sure vehicle has wifi aerial antenna. Enhanced Bluetooth can be coded without additional hardware.
Well by difficult I mean more how much taking apart and putting back together is involved; if it's a question of removing the trim, the "inert" tray and plugging the new one, that's easy. If I need to wire the entire thing to the fuse box because the cable is missing all together, then that's probably more than I'm willing to tackle...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlplague View Post
Well by difficult I mean more how much taking apart and putting back together is involved; if it's a question of removing the trim, the "inert" tray and plugging the new one, that's easy. If I need to wire the entire thing to the fuse box because the cable is missing all together, then that's probably more than I'm willing to tackle...
Never done the retrofit, so not sure what it entails. I would read reviews about performance before undertaking as it is not very efficient.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlplague View Post
Never done the retrofit, so not sure what it entails. I would read reviews about performance before undertaking as it is not very efficient.
May not look so pretty but you could easily buy a mini sized USB charging plate which married with the almost invisible plate which sits behind any phone case gives you wireless charging for any device with minimal outlay.
If the visuals aren't quite as good and annoy just close the cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano View Post
May not look so pretty but you could easily buy a mini sized USB charging plate which married with the almost invisible plate which sits behind any phone case gives you wireless charging for any device with minimal outlay.
If the visuals aren't quite as good and annoy just close the cover.
I charge my phone every 3-4 days. Wireless charging is not a priority.
Appreciate 0