E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > window tint question

08-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
vincedea
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E90 Base Model

window tint question

Hello,

I am looking to get window tint on the whole car but my windshield has 2 small rock chips. Is it ok for me to put window tint on the windshield or should I replace the windshield before getting window tint?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
bennye90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

1. is windshield tint even legal?
2. tint goes on the inside of the glass
3. if the chips turn into a hairline crack then you'd be wasting money replacing a tinted winshield
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

there is not right answer for this.

1- If you were 100% sure the damage from the rock chip was not going to expand,sure you can tint the front windshield , assuming you are doing like 90% . You could go to those rock chip repair places to get it done , although sometimes there is nothing they cant do

2- You can still go ahead and do it , but the crack may expand and you may need to replace the whole windshield , which means you just wasted your money doing the front windshield

I just put a tint strip on top on my windshield even though I have a crack right in the middle which is cover by the rear view mirror. I ve had that crack for over 2 years and it has not expand, plus it only cost me 30 bucks to do it.

Its totally up to you
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

If the chips are going to crack, or have already cracked, you'll hate yourself for tinting the windshield first.

Actually, I take that back. You'll hate yourself for tinting the windshield at all (unless you have a medical condition and need to).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincedea View Post
Hello,

I am looking to get window tint on the whole car but my windshield has 2 small rock chips. Is it ok for me to put window tint on the windshield or should I replace the windshield before getting window tint?
I recently had my windows tinted and debated whether to tint the windshield as well...but ultimately decided NOT to tint the windshield. Here are the questions/considerations I went through before I made my decision:

1) Do you live in an area where you have experienced (or it is noted as statistically higher than average) to have windshield damage from chips/cracks/damage? I live in San Antonio, and I seemed to have experienced a higher than normal amount of "road debris" when compared to other places I have lived & driven in the US. I've had my original windshield chipped & repaired twice in the last year.

2) Is the heat & UV reduction from the subsequent windshield tint worth the money? Although this is purely a personal/subjective answer, I would say if you live in an area that sees a high amount of sun (like sunny San Antonio, Dallas, LA, Phoenix, etc), it might be worth the cost. On the other hand, if you live in a milder area (Seattle, Portland, Pittsburgh, DC, etc), the benefits might not be worth the extra cost of tinting the windshield.

TLDR- tinting the windshield is not really recommended.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
vincedea
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E90 Base Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
I recently had my windows tinted and debated whether to tint the windshield as well...but ultimately decided NOT to tint the windshield. Here are the questions/considerations I went through before I made my decision:

1) Do you live in an area where you have experienced (or it is noted as statistically higher than average) to have windshield damage from chips/cracks/damage? I live in San Antonio, and I seemed to have experienced a higher than normal amount of "road debris" when compared to other places I have lived & driven in the US. I've had my original windshield chipped & repaired twice in the last year.

2) Is the heat & UV reduction from the subsequent windshield tint worth the money? Although this is purely a personal/subjective answer, I would say if you live in an area that sees a high amount of sun (like sunny San Antonio, Dallas, LA, Phoenix, etc), it might be worth the cost. On the other hand, if you live in a milder area (Seattle, Portland, Pittsburgh, DC, etc), the benefits might not be worth the extra cost of tinting the windshield.

I live in the Bay Area and the freeway that i take to go to work does have a good amount of rocks flying every where.

I have seen cars with tinted windshield although its fairly light 70-80% I couldnt even tell that there was a tint on it.

I will give it some more thought. Thank guys
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincedea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post

I live in the Bay Area and the freeway that i take to go to work does have a good amount of rocks flying every where.

I have seen cars with tinted windshield although its fairly light 70-80% I couldnt even tell that there was a tint on it.

I will give it some more thought. Thank guys
I *almost* pulled the trigger on the windshield tint, just because it gets so hot here during the summer...plus my car is Jet Black, so that only compounds the issue.

But the cost of the windshield tint alone was >$250 (while the rest of the car was about that price).

When I considered the likelihood of the debris chipping it again, I decided to stick with the fold-up window shade instead.

But maybe I'm just a cheap bastid...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Window tint goes on the inside. A small rock chip that has not and is not showing signs of spidering, will be fine.
Appreciate 0