E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help, abused and neglected

08-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
mktmkr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 328xi m-sport

Help, abused and neglected

Picked up a 09 Le Mans blue m-sport. Happy with the overall look but when I look at the car closely it looks like who ever owned it was a pig..:sorry to the previous owner but...every surface inside is scratched or pealing. Any advice?
1 Aluminum trim looks like it's pitting/like someone through a bunch of keys at it, every where! Dash, center console, door trim
2 Black coating is bubbling and pealing on steering wheel and door grab pockets
3 navigation face gas a white milky smear, smooth to the touch and goes away when you wet it but comes right back when dries, short replacing I'm thinking some type of silicone/oil rub?
4 rims are best to shit. Curb rash everywhere
5 black aluminum trim around windows and down sides of roof is pealing from previous overzealous details
6 rubber trim around windshield is cracked all around
7 front plate bracket is on front bumper and looks like shit. I'm in PA so I don't need it but I'm sure there are drilled holes underneath

The car is low miles and drives well. Looks great overall but the details are driving me crazy. It's an overwhelming list...any suggestions on how to tackle it?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Well it sounds like the damaged components should be replaced. Every new car you acquire used will require some level of TLC. You should?ve saw that upon purchasing it and use those things to bring the value down and as you could argue it?s going to cost you the difference if not more (way more) to replace all those items.

I?d rather a damaged interior than a damaged engine or exterior. Interior can be interchanged easily so look at it as a fun project and after it?s done you?ll feel accomplished and satisfied. Sucks some people don?t treat their stuff with proper care.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
mktmkr
United_States
Rep

That's pretty much what I thought. I thought the price was fair so bought it based on mechanics. Drives well, all seals and gaskets are dry clean car fax and extensive maintenance records so I didn't want to miss out on it. It's getting harder to find low mileage examples...
I'm just overwhelmed with where to start and if I'm doing it or a shop...I generally use the dealer as my previous previous '11 e90 was a cpo with a warranty plus it was immaculate. Truly like new. I'm a little bewildered with where to start. I know I'm not a diy guy so at least I know my limitations...any suggestions are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
I know jack shit about cars personally but I've done quite a bit of simple, non-mechanical, work using youtube Videos. Try searching your specific issues there. If you don't mind spending on the parts, there are a ton of interior trims on eBay. Rims are simple to switch out or refurbish. I have accompany by me that will do the rims for $150 a pop, not awful. And yes, there will be holes in the bumper. You can just get plastic little grommet things from Home Depot and paint them body color and pop them in. I did that with one of my cars. It's not perfect but better than holes. You can rewrap your steering wheel or buy one off eBay as well. The exterior trim might be tricky since windows might need to be removed for removal. Or take it to a body shop and have them painted.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
And I think there are posts somewheee on how to get the nav screen clean. Might be similar to how folks get their yellowed headlamp plastic clear again. Not positive. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
mktmkr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
And I think there are posts somewheee on how to get the nav screen clean. Might be similar to how folks get their yellowed headlamp plastic clear again. Not positive. Good luck!
Thank you just feeling a little overwhelmed I guess I'll need to sit down make a list and address them one at a time like everything else the dealer promised to do the wheels for me at their cost so I'm taking them up on it at 75 bucks a pop and then to the body shop to take care of the trim in the from bumper I'll try to tackle the interior on my own
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sounds like the original owner over-detailed the interior with products that damaged the various materials and surface coverings.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Looks like somebody used the wrong chemical for cleaning the inside. The rubberized paint and the plastic screens will not like -at all- chorox wipes or something stupid like that and will do exactly what you are describing here.

You will need to repaint/replace the peeling trim. You can buy most pieces from BMW the price is surprisingly not too gouge-y. For the aluminum pieces, I don't know how textured they are (I have wood), but if smooth, you can polish it with the same paint polisher you use on exterior paint.

For the screen, rub it with plast-x or some similar abrasive solution for plastic to remove the layer that has been contaminated and whitened. Then seal it with an acrylic based paint sealant with U-V protection (Klasse high gloss, or something from an headlight restoration kit). Use blue painter tape to limit your operation field.

The rubber trim around windows is a wear and tear item. Replace, there's a DIY, it's a 2h job that's not particularly difficult.

You can plastidip the window trim, there's also plenty in the DIY section of the forum on how to proceed as that was all the rage a couple of years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Start watching you tube trim removal videos. The instructions are out there for everything you mentioned. Buy parts on eBay or here.

Mileage isn't everything, as you're learning. A more holistic approach is required with cars.

If you pay the dealer to fix these things you'll be looking at thousands.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

congrats on the new car purchase but sorry to hear from your interior woes. win some lose some. A lot of people like to get their trims wrapped in a new color so you can tackle the worn out trims by rewrapping it in the same color or a new texture. it is relatively cheap and easy to do, certainly a lot better than replacing the whole interior trim set which can be costly. the steering wheel trim is a cheap item to replace so to wrap or not is onto you in my opinion. I would personally take this as an opportunity to get a new steering wheel which can really freshen up the interior. another fairly easy project to tackle, there are plenty resources on this forum and youtube that will guide the installation and removal process. the one that might be a bit more time consuming is the door pull,card trim. the curb rash can be easily polished out ranging from 50-100 a piece depending on people around your area. craigslist or yelp is a good place to start, quote around! hope this helps, enjoy your new beast
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Start looking int either replacing the interior parts,wrapping,or painting. These cars are hitting the yards, so parts will be available. It's about how much your want to put into it. Just start a little at a time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
mktmkr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Start watching you tube trim removal videos. The instructions are out there for everything you mentioned. Buy parts on eBay or here.

Mileage isn't everything, as you're learning. A more holistic approach is required with cars.

If you pay the dealer to fix these things you'll be looking at thousands.
Started looking on line for interior trim parts. Only see a small selection of accessories. Wish I had a scamatic so I could see each part and a part number. Any I dea where to get one or a good source for parts on line. Also, do you suggest oem or are aftermarkets ok? Ty!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

For filling in license plate holes, I literally just used Bondo, sanded it down, and used touch up paint. Can hardly tell it's there.
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      08-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktmkr View Post
Started looking on line for interior trim parts. Only see a small selection of accessories. Wish I had a scamatic so I could see each part and a part number. Any I dea where to get one or a good source for parts on line. Also, do you suggest oem or are aftermarkets ok? Ty!
Go here for part numbers and schematics.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Try to stick with OEM whenever possible. For all the trim on the interior I don't think you'll find anything except OEM.

You'll get it, just save the numbers in a spreadsheet so you can reference them easily while you're working. There are several online retailers that will also have what you're looking for new. The aluminum trim you're definitely best off i'm on craigslist eBay or the forums. That stuff is a complete rip off new

You can definitely replace the stuff yourself. Interior parts removal is really pretty easy and it's all built well enough that it will go back together with ease. A lot of the aftermarket speakers suppliers have online DIY's for everything. Look up BSW speaker installs
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17316.50
      08-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
mktmkr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Go here for part numbers and schematics.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Try to stick with OEM whenever possible. For all the trim on the interior I don't think you'll find anything except OEM.

You'll get it, just save the numbers in a spreadsheet so you can reference them easily while you're working. There are several online retailers that will also have what you're looking for new. The aluminum trim you're definitely best off i'm on craigslist eBay or the forums. That stuff is a complete rip off new

You can definitely replace the stuff yourself. Interior parts removal is really pretty easy and it's all built well enough that it will go back together with ease. A lot of the aftermarket speakers suppliers have online DIY's for everything. Look up BSW speaker installs
Ty! Getting excited. Really want to get this thing looking right!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktmkr View Post
Ty! Getting excited. Really want to get this thing looking right!
Post some before/after pics!

Good luck
Appreciate 0