E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake Light Reset

08-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
pompous
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Brake Light Reset

07 328i MT Sport
I know there have been million posts about this and i've read them. I have of course the red "BRAKE" light on my dash constantly lit. It is preceded by the red car on the lift when I turn the car on.

The car has new brakes and I just installed new sensors again as well.

I've tried the reset procedure on the dash and told it to reset, get the little clock thing and it should be reset, but it says 0 miles for both the front and rear brake pads even after it has gone through the reset on both. I've turned the car off/back on and still the same.

Also, the parking brake seems within normal limits.

Any ideas on this? Its about to drive me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I believe there is no communication when you can't perform a reset, or at least that's a possibility. This happened to me when the stealer broke my rear sensor wire doing an alignment (which they denied but lost). My brakes at the time had about 300 mi. with brand new sensors front and rear done by me, and they said it was already like that lol

p.s. because you are saying 0 miles (left), the assumption is that your braking system has not failed (as opposed to yellow if the ABS has failed)...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
pompous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I believe there is no communication when you can't perform a reset, or at least that's a possibility. This happened to me when the stealer broke my rear sensor wire doing an alignment (which they denied but lost). My brakes at the time had about 300 mi. with brand new sensors front and rear done by me, and they said it was already like that lol

p.s. because you are saying 0 miles (left), the assumption is that your braking system has not failed (as opposed to yellow if the ABS has failed)...
My mistake...It actually is dashes and not 0. This is for both the front and rear. I cannot reset either and both have dashes. I've tried doing it with the car off, with it on, and have done it upwards of 15 times now lol

What did you do to resolve your issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous View Post
My mistake...It actually is dashes and not 0. This is for both the front and rear. I cannot reset either and both have dashes. I've tried doing it with the car off, with it on, and have done it upwards of 15 times now lol

What did you do to resolve your issue?
Well on mine the brake sensor was clearly broken, so I got a new one and replaced it when it came....but come to think of it, my brake may have been yellow, based on how seriously I took it...meaning I didn't have time to discuss so I left the dealership and figured I'd call them later (after a tech jumped in, looked, and jumped out). I may not have accepted the car with a red brake light...

btw I used PEX I believe, they cost like $14 ea, I didn't want to pay for genuine...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
pompous
Private
Rep

I think i've determined the sensors (from Amazon) to be faulty. I hooked the car up to my INPA laptop and couldn't get anywhere. Gonna buy the OEMs from BMW, install, reset, and update the thread afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
pompous
Private
Rep

Update: Replaced the new sensors with BMW sensors and all is well.
Appreciate 0