E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Charge pipe/ TIAL BOV causing 30FF.

08-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Charge pipe/ TIAL BOV causing 30FF.

Hi guys. Bear with me on this post. It's going to be quite lengthy but I need some help from people who have upgraded their charge pipe and paired it with a TIAL BOV.

I installed an ARM charge pipe/TIAL BOV for my N54 335i. (Link: http://www.armmotorsports.com/N54-Ch...p/cp-t-335.htm)

Since then I have consistently gotten a 30FF ON 3RD GEAR AT 5K RPMs. 1st and 2nd gear pulls are fine all the way up to the redline. The first thing I checked was my intercooler connections. Everything is connected so I'm convinced that my install is wrong somewhere. I am going to give everything I did with the installation and maybe this will shed light on where my potential problem is.

1. I put the MAF (cleaned it in the process)from the old charge pipe to the new one and screwed it with the same screws. (Gasket was still good.)
2. Placed a supplied gasket in the charge pipe on the throttle body side.
3. Assembled the BOV by putting it right on the charge pipe and securing it down with the supplied clamp. (No gasket here. One WAS NOT provided)
4. Connected the charge pipe to the throttle body with the old C Clamp.
5. Connected the charge pipe to the intercooler with the provided silicone elbow and secured it down ( NO GASKET HERE EITHER. ONE WAS NOT PROVIDED)
6. Installed the banjo screw on the top of the BOV. I did my best to line up the holes from the banjo screw and the vacuum line. I connected the vacuum line to the BOV with a fresh silicone line (Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

7. Capped the old diverter valve with supplied caps. They only supplied one clamp so I had to use another one I happened to have.

8. Double checked everything to make sure everything was tightened down.
9. Reinstalled airbox, resecured hoses, and reinstalled the duct.

I have already contacted the manufacturer about possibly missing something and am awaiting their response. If I am missing a gasket, it's because it never made it in my shipment but I really need to figure this out ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Check the vacuum hose at the nipple in the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned View Post
Check the vacuum hose at the nipple in the intake manifold.
Checked it. It's in as far as it could go.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

So ARM sent me a new gasket and I installed it. I took the whole assembly apart to make sure I tighten everything down correctly however upon installation I am still getting a 30FF. I wasn't getting it before the chargepipe so I'm starting by diagnosing the chargepipe first then everything else.

Is there a chance that the intercooler has weak plastic hoses like the factory chargepipe that could have been blown?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
mr_malvo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Did you find the cause of the problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_malvo View Post
Did you find the cause of the problem?
No unfortunately not. I am trying to figure out whats going on still. I took it all apart and put it together again and now its intermittent. Sometimes I get it, sometimes not.

I am doing a bunch of research on this installation and I see that there are several different ways people have installed it when they are converting over to a BOV system.

Some people t off the vacuum line from the throttle body and tap into the air box. Haven't figured out why but I'm thinking maybe that's my issue.

Also, I have thought to buy some slightly thicker gaskets at the throttle body and the BOV to see if that helps.

It's just weird that I'm getting limp mode at extremely high RPM's which is when the turbos are no longer boosting.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i had similar problem with my vrsf charge pipe, where i was leaking boost but not enough to cause a code, but my butt dyno could feel the power lost. I put the stock charge pipe back and the car felt a lot stronger.

As i set the vrsf charge down i noticed oil coming out of the meth plugs. I notice the ecs directions say to cover the meth plugs in teflon.

I would suggest doing that and make sure the meth plugs are tight. The teflon should help with the seal.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #8
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i had similar problem with my vrsf charge pipe, where i was leaking boost but not enough to cause a code, but my butt dyno could feel the power lost. I put the stock charge pipe back and the car felt a lot stronger.

As i set the vrsf charge down i noticed oil coming out of the meth plugs. I notice the ecs directions say to cover the meth plugs in teflon.

I would suggest doing that and make sure the meth plugs are tight. The teflon should help with the seal.
That makes sense. Let me try that. I'll report back. Thanks for the suggestion. I greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
rideon88
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Did you ever figure this out?

I am having the same problem w/ my VSRF intercooler, Evolution Racewerks N54 Chargepipe and Tial BOV. I didnt tap the manifold.

I had an indy shop install everything so I can't imagine I have a serious boost leak.

I am leaning towards replacing both boost solenoids and seeing how things perform before reverting back to stock CP and DV. Did you ever investigate that side of the equation?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #10
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
3. Assembled the BOV by putting it right on the charge pipe and securing it down with the supplied clamp. (No gasket here. One WAS NOT provided)
Tial box includes an o-ring that goes between the BOV and the flange. If you don't have that installed, you definitely have a boost leak here.

Pretty sure my kit came with a larger diameter vacuum line for the BOV as well. If you are using the stock size hose, it's not enough volume to properly actuate the BOV.

Also, it is highly recommended to drill the intake manifold and install a larger diameter nipple. I did it with the IM still installed by removing the throttle body and vacuuming out all the shavings.

And the turbo is most certainly still spinning and providing boost at high RPM. Boost level might drop off a bit, but it's not like the turbo just stops. Are you getting the code while still on the throttle or when you let off?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
rideon88
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hey sorry to resurrect this thread but I think I have the same issue. I had an indy shop do all installs and work so forgive my ignorance.

I have been trying some pulls and logging, and now I can see some moisture / oil mixture right next to the connector, which is obviously a leak between my ER charge pipe and the stock intercooler tube.

View post on imgur.com

Should I tighten that bracket? Or take the whole thing off and see if I'm missing a gasket?

Mods: ER charge pipe, tial bov, vsrf 5" intercooler, MHD stage 1
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon88 View Post
Hey sorry to resurrect this thread but I think I have the same issue. I had an indy shop do all installs and work so forgive my ignorance.

I have been trying some pulls and logging, and now I can see some moisture / oil mixture right next to the connector, which is obviously a leak between my ER charge pipe and the stock intercooler tube.

View post on imgur.com

Should I tighten that bracket? Or take the whole thing off and see if I'm missing a gasket?

Mods: ER charge pipe, tial bov, vsrf 5" intercooler, MHD stage 1
I'd definitely take it apart and see if you are missing a gasket
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #13
Yahir
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i BMW

Im having the same exact issue with my installation everything is on tight i have re watched all installation videos and we have done everything correct but I keep getting the 30FF code when I push the car too hard im going to try a different tmap sensor if thats the issue because i have read that a faulty tmap sensor can cause the 30FF code.
Appreciate 0